better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings.

I am using both glass and betterbottles (no spigot). My plan is to use betterbottles as often as possible and to use glass when I run out of betterbottles.

The only concern is cleaning them as they ARE plastic and CAN scratch if you are not careful when using a carboy brush which is why they recommend using a cleanser.

Here is their website: http://www.better-bottle.com/index1.html
Here is a link to their cleaning faq: http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html

Brew on!

BrewStef

That is the only reason I have not tried them yet. I dont think I'd have a problem as a primary (many, including I, did and do use buckets), but I'm not sure I'd want it sitting in a secondary for a very long time.... do you know what the diffeence is between these and any other food grade plastic that someone might use?

I have one better bottle and one glass. I feel the same as BrewStef. I'd like to add: light weight, easier to keep hold of (not as slippery) and of course bouncy.

I have never used glass carboys, I just started brewing this year and started with ported better bottles.

Aside from putting in the spigots initially (which is a PITA) I love them. Light and unbreakable. The website gives the science of why they are safe to use as secondaries for prolonged times...I don't understand it, I just trust them because I don't know any better :)

The plastic in Better Bottles does not allow oxygen to pass through, unlike a soda or water bottle.

I kind of posted to this effect in a nother thread but it was off topic so I will try again here.

I am fairly new to brewing (1 stout, 1 red, and 1 belgian white, 1 root beer) and I have so far only used the Brewer's Best buckets. I am looking to move into the mead and wine realms, so I need a safe carboy that I can store then in for 7 months (until my wedding) when hopefully they will have aged long enough.

I read just about everything that the Better Bottles website had to say, including their science. But since IANAPSOMSE (I Am Not A Polymer Science Or Materials Science Engineer), although I know some, I can't tell what exactly they are saying.

I can't seem to find any reviews on the bottles, only repeats of what is said on the Better Bottles website. I am VERY leary of purchasing a glass carboy as I know that I will drop it within a few weeks of owning it.

I would like to use these as a secondary for a pomegranate mead starting next month, but I need to be sure the 1) the plastic won't stain (the website says that it will not) and 2) it will impart no off flavors (once again the website says no). So if anybody has experience using these as a secondary (even with a beer for a few weeks) and can comment to this effect, I would appreciate it.

As far as the scrubbing goes, they make a big point that since the plastic is hydrophibic (rabies!!) rather than hydrophillic (like glass), films won't build up and it won't need scrubbed.

opqdan said:
I I would like to use these as a secondary for a pomegranate mead starting next month, but I need to be sure the 1) the plastic won't stain (the website says that it will not) and 2) it will impart no off flavors (once again the website says no). So if anybody has experience using these as a secondary (even with a beer for a few weeks) and can comment to this effect, I would appreciate it.

My last two brews (a stout and an amber ale) were in secondary for about a month each in better bottles. No staining problems so far.
Ditto on the scratches, none so far.

However if you're an idiot and decide that you want to get your topoff water prepared while your stuff brews, so you boil it and then dump it right in before cooling, it will warp the bottle. Still works, it's just a little wobbly. One time I decide to boil my topoff water 'just in case', and thats what I do. Idiot...

I sliced open my hand last week with a glass carboy. So this past weekend I picked up 2 better bottles this past weekend. No problems so far.

TWolf10 said:
My last two brews (a stout and an amber ale) were in secondary for about a month each in better bottles. No staining problems so far.
Ditto on the scratches, none so far.

However if you're an idiot and decide that you want to get your topoff water prepared while your stuff brews, so you boil it and then dump it right in before cooling, it will warp the bottle. Still works, it's just a little wobbly. One time I decide to boil my topoff water 'just in case', and thats what I do. Idiot...
Thanks for the help. A lot of people were commenting that they wouldn't leave something in them for long, but nobody had ever actually done it. I think that I will go ahead with this.

Also, thanks for the tip on hot water warping it. Of course, I guess that is something one should not do with glass either or it might shatter.

david_42 said:
The plastic in Better Bottles does not allow oxygen to pass through, unlike a soda or water bottle.

I don't know what Better Bottles are made of, as far as PET goes, the web
site just says they have low oxygen permeability.
As far as I know they don't give any comparison to "regular PET" in
terms of numbers.
Here is everything you want to know about beer bottles that are made of
special PET with barrier films and this says that this is the state of the art
for bottling beer in plastic.
http://www.plasticstechnology.com/articles/200508fa1.html

So, I wonder what make Better Bottles superior to "regular PET".

That makes me wonder about this recent thread about a cheap source
of 5 gal PET bottles?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9664
Are these cheap bottles "regular PET" then?

I think I've reached a dead end. Perhaps even off topic. Head spinning too.

Time to ... sorry .. "relax, its just beer"...
-batch

PET is PET regardless.

For recycling they ID it with a triangle around the #1. They have the PET abreviation for Polyethylene Terephthalate nearby the marking. I had to check the spelling 3 times!!!

Now tinted PET or Coated PET is another story. Keeps UV out???

A clear PET Carboy should be no worse than a clear glass carboy.

Assuming what they say about the oxygen permiability is true with PET.

Coors' Party Pack with 18 - 16 oz bottles is PET 1

Back