Better Bottles bending?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Major newbie question I am assuming, but one I need an answer for.

I have multiple 6gal better bottles that I am currently using for ciders. Now with my glass carboy I can pick it up and roll/agitate it and the carboy is fine (because you know, glass), but with the plastic better bottles, wherever I put my hands and ally pressure by lifting/moving it, the plastic gives in a bit, causing the pressure to push into the airlock and in one case reverse drain it into my must.

Is this normal or because their isn't enough pressure built up from CO2? I also got a carboy handle last night so going to be using that from now on, just in case it helps.

Pressure from CO2 should not be present during fermentation - you use the airlock to alleviate that or the bottle blows up. When you pick it up, you squeeze it, compressing it and displacing volume. (think toothpaste) When you release, it goes back to the original shape and sucks air back in (much harder with toothpaste). The more you move them, the more oxygen you will suck back in. Best to leave them in place as much as possible.

When you lift a full Better Bottle, the shape will shift a little bit and maybe suck in some air. I try to always carry them around in a milk crate, which solves the problem.

At least I know it's normal. Thanks all!

The only time I move them is from the kitchen to the storage area beside the kitchen For the first week to make sure fermentation takes off and then into a different storage room away from the kiddos after that. (and once to help agitate the must due to the sugar settling so thick)

May still invest in the milk crates, that seems like a great idea

I have been using milk crates for over 20 years. They work great and can save a lot of issues, such as a broken carboy that slips out of your hand while full of completely fermented beer. I know.

Know how the propane tank rolls around in the trunk when you take it for an exchange? Stick it in a milk crate. It's a perfect fit.

They also comfortably hold 23 bottles and stack. (some people can shove a 24th bottle in there, but I'm not brave enough for that.)

Do not carry your Better Bottle when full with a carboy handle. With glass that is very dangerous, you are likely to break the neck off. With a Better Bottle it would put a lot of stress on the neck and could tear it off.

If in doubt, take the airlock off. Tip the bottle a little and lift from the bottom. I use one hand on the neck then one hand under the bottom and lift.

Back