Better-Bottle vs. Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These bottles,
Are you/Did you encounter any problems as many of the BB users are with the air being sucked through the stopper when lifted due to the stretching effect?

Nope. No problem at all. They are way to rigid (and not clear [I must have mentioned that somewhere along the lines]) and you could stack them on top of each other...full, if the airlock sticking out of the top wasn't in the way.

It reminds me of a big lego block come to think of it.

Also with the Vittles Vaults (opaque too) you could get your whole had in them to wipe them out to clean them...even though you don't need to as I just soak them in Oxy for a week or two while I rotate in one of my other ones (I have 4 and rarely have more than 2 filled at a time)

If there is a stubborn mess or I need them faster I just use my old Carboy Wand I got from somewhere. It's basically an attachment for my hose that makes the end jet out in several directions and can knock loose just about anything there.

Buckets!

I too am completely torn between BB's and glass. I currently use bottling buckets because i love the spigot. My occasional need for a secondary takes me into this BB vs Glass arena.

I think i will use both.

Does anyone know if long term use of alcahol in the BetterBottles will break down the particulate matter? Seems like it surely would no matter how highly graded the plastic is.

From my view: There are two major drawbacks to each of them

BB: It's clear and it is only 6 gallons
Glass: It's clear and it can kill you if it breaks.....

An inverted paper grocery bag with the right sized hole can take care of any opacity issues with having a BB or Glass Carboy.

003.JPG

My plastic brew bucket makes off flavors IMO. I shattered a glass carboy all over my feet once. And I cracked the bottom of my last BB. I need a steel drum to brew in that makes no odors and is to big to try to move......

If you dumped some sand and shook it around to gouge the surface then maybe yes. Otherwise proper sanitation will render this a moot point too.

I like my better bottle because I don't have to be gentle with it. I can bang it down on the counter or bump into things and not have to worry.
I've done some research on the BB. Considering upgrading to them. From what I've read they are designed not to soak up odors or flavors. Many people are saying they are easy to clean/sanitize

Back