Better Bottle Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
Hi All,
Sorry if this is already answered somewhere. I looked briefly and could not find a definitive answer and I'm kind of freaking out a bit. I just racked my first lager over to secondary. The secondary is a 6 Gallon Better Bottle. This is my first time using a BB and my LHBS sold me a #10 stopper with it. Well, the stopper kept popping out while I was handling the BB (i.e. carrying it to fridge and putting in the fridge....etc). It seems like it is in there ok now but it kept popping out on me! This has me seriously concerned :mad:

Should I be worried? I will say that it was wet with Starsan but still has me worried. If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

When I used a better bottle, I used a cap/hood and kept it in place with a worm gear clamp. Another reason I went back to buckets.

These work really well. Nice solid fit with a lip so it won't go all the way through.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/medium-universal-carboy-bung-for-better-bottle-drilled.html

Yep, this is the only thing. My LHBS has them. Every shop worth it's salt should.

image_460.jpg

thanks guys. I will check out the LHBS this afternoon. Checked this morning and the stopper had popped out again :( I hope I didn't get any nasties in the beer during this fiasco

I use the same stoppers as shown above when using an airlock. I do use a sanitized solid stopper when moving my BB's to prevent sucking liquid from the airlock back into the BB since they do flex a bit when full.
I've also been using a large vented silicone stopper as an airlock during secondary. Never pops out.

carboy-cap.jpg

I use these. They work on my glass carboys and my better bottles. It's also easy to slip some tubing over the longer nipple for a blow off.

picked up one of the orange caps yesterday. seems to be working nicely. thanks for all the input

Back