better bottle sanitizing and air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishwater

Reaction score
What are people using for an airlock on a better bottle? Is it a #10 bung? San star is bad on plastic for long periods of time is there any cleaners and or sanitizers you should not use on a better bottle? Can you do long fermentations in a better bottle?

I use a regular 3-piece airlock, with an orange carboy cap. Some say the carboy caps don't fit well, but I have no idea what they are talking about! I clean by soaking in oxiclean for a few hours, and rinsing thoroughly several times. To sanitize, I just slosh a half-gallon or so of Starsan around and drain.

I've gone as long as five weeks in a better bottle, and I'm sure you could go longer.

BlindLemonLars said:
I use a regular 3-piece airlock, with an orange carboy cap. Some say the carboy caps don't fit well, but I have no idea what they are talking about! I clean by soaking in oxiclean for a few hours, and rinsing thoroughly several times. To sanitize, I just slosh a half-gallon or so of Starsan around and drain.

I've gone as long as five weeks in a better bottle, and I'm sure you could go longer.

Having a private well I prefer to save as much water as possible, so when you say "soaking in oxyclean for a few hours" do you mean you fill up the better bottle all the way (5+ gallons) with water and oxyclean or would just swishing around oxyclean and 'some' water work as well?

I use the BB closure with a 1/2 inch OD hose for a blowoff and a BB airlock for secondaries. Others have reported good results with the orange carboy caps. I was not happy with them. A heavy krauesen during fermentation is going to leave some serious sludge in the BB. I fill mine with hot tap water and add 2 scoops of Oxyclean, then soak overnight. Sometimes, even that, is not adequate and I need to repeat the process. The sloshing around with a rag inside works as well. BB published some data of various sanitizers and cleaners in contact with the bottles for extended periods of time with either no or minimal effect.

Eves said:
...do you mean you fill up the better bottle all the way (5+ gallons) with water and oxyclean or would just swishing around oxyclean and 'some' water work as well?

Yes, I fill it right to the very top and let it soak for at least a few hours, sometimes overnight. Generally I thrown in a scoop or two of oxyclean with a gallon of water and give it a good shake before topping off with more water. The critical bit to clean is the stuck-on krausen ring at the 5 gallon mark, and since you can't use a brush with a BB, a long oxyclean soak is the most practical approach. I've never tried the "swishing with a rag" method, haven't needed to.

If saving water is that critical, perhaps a bucket would be a more suitable primary for you.

BlindLemonLars said:
I use a regular 3-piece airlock, with an orange carboy cap. Some say the carboy caps don't fit well, but I have no idea what they are talking about!

I know exactly what they are talking about. I live close to both midwest and Northern Brewer. I actually took my better Bottle to the LHBS to fit test the caps. Only 1 out of 5 that I tried fit to my liking.

I originally purchased two caps from Midwest and they both would not seal tightly. I took them back and found some that fit really well.

Seabee John said:
I know exactly what they are talking about. I live close to both midwest and Northern Brewer. I actually took my better Bottle to the LHBS to fit test the caps. Only 1 out of 5 that I tried fit to my liking.

I originally purchased two caps from Midwest and they both would not seal tightly. I took them back and found some that fit really well.

I guess I'm just lucky...I've got five orange carboy caps. They all fit my 6 gallon better bottles very tightly, just as snugly as they fit my 5 gallon glass carboys. They snap right on, and seal perfectly.

Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket!

#10 BUNGS fit the BB's. I use PBW to clean out my Carboys. Throw some PBW iin and fill the carboy up all the way and in about 20mins you will have a clean carboy.

Back