Better Bottle 6 US Gallon Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cider.jpg

Manufacturer - Better Bottle
6 US Gallon Better Bottle
cider.jpg

I love these things. I have a 6 gallon Better Bottle, 2 5 gallon Better bottles, and a 6 gallon glass carboy. No issues to date.
Price Payed: $28.00
Recommended? Yes

These are great carboys, the bungs are expensive but have highly adaptable plug hole with many pieces that also fit a standard air lock
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light and non breakable
Cons: Bung costs as much as carboy

I prefer these over buckets due to lower chance of contamination when open. I prefer them over the glass carboys due to lower cost and lighter weight. I end up carrying these things up and down the stairs when they are full so less weight is ideal. The lower weight makes for easier cleaning except for the krausen issue mentioned above.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light, cheap, safety
Cons: Hard to clean Krausen. I tried PBW and it helps but still needs physical scrubbing, which may leave scratches.

I deformed one of mine using water that was too hot.
Price Payed: $30.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Durable and forgiving.
Cons: Can't take hot temps

Get the high flow valve for carboy. It make transferring simple, way easier than siphoning.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to clean
Easy to handle
Cons: none

Great place to start for beginner home brewers. Use this for primary.
Price Payed: $24.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Less expensive than glass.
Cons: Scratches easily if scrubbed.

love it, put an aquarium thermometer on side for easy temp readings
Recommended? Yes
Pros: light weight, no chip or break
Cons: none

I bought a few of these after having a few mishaps with my glass carboys (screaming wife and glass every where in the kitchen). So I figured I would give the better bottles a chance. I don't worry too much about dropping this carboy. It's light weight and very easy to move around, my only concern is how it will stand up overtime. If your looking to replace your glass carboys for various reason, I would say look no further.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: light weight and easy to move
Cons: None at this time

I use these as a secondary, they work well and are dependable.
Price Payed: $21.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Cheap, durable, easy to clean
Cons: None

Cleaning krausen residue is a bit tricky. I won't stick a carboy brush in it, because I don't want to chance scratching it. So hot water, PBW or oxyclean, and about a half cup of bleach goes in, instead. After standing for about an hour, it has all disappeared. Rinse well, and I'm happy. My biggest concern is remembering to empty it of all cleansers in a timely fashion. You do not want to leave cleaning solutions in these for more than 24 hours. Chemicals WILL deteriorate the plastic, and cause it to crack if left inside for days at a time.
They make large rubber bungs, so you don't need to buy the expensive plastic stuff that is made specifically for these.
I'm very happy with my 3 Better Bottles, and would not hesitate to buy more of them when I need additional space.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Lightweight, durable
Cons: No cons, just minor concerns

Probably had my better bottle primary for around 6-8 brews now. Compared to my glass monster that I used to have, this puppy is far easier to transport for cleaning, etc. It is difficult to clean compared to a bucket, but there's less chance of contamination, and, did I mention, it's light-weight and easy to carry?
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light weight, see-through, virtually indestructible
Cons: Somewhat difficult to clean

I wouldn't use anything else. My friend uses glass carboys. Lugging those full of wort up/down a flight of stairs to his basement is a PITA. The better bottles make this process a whole lot easier due to less weight. Also, if we would ever happen to drop one, there is a better chance of saving the wort.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light, Durable
Cons: Easily scratchable

My 6gal. BB came as part of the "Norther Brewer - Deluxe Starter Kit". It's every bit as functional as a 6gal. glass Carboy, it just takes a gentler touch when cleaning to prolong its life. Great purchase for any beginner - intermediate brewer (even some advanced/veteran brewers still prefer them).
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Durable, lightweight, adequate headspace, easy to clean, not as fragile as glass. Being an industry standard means finding 3rd party accessories is very easy!
Cons: Light Permeable, can be scratched if not careful, No handle.

Don't want to break glass? Get these. Very functional.
Price Payed: $22.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Won't explode
Cons: None really, Except they don't offer 14 gallon. or conical, it's a good material.

I have had 3 of these form cracks in the bottom. Never dropped them. By the third one the common denominator was cleaning them with PBW and hot water. Not over the recomended temperture. So now I clean them with warm water. When I wrote the company with the issue I received no response.
Recommended? No
Pros: Light Weight, Priced right
Cons: Cracks form

Amazing
Price Payed: $50.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Racking Adapter
Spigot
Can be used all in one for bottling
Cons: Plastic flexes when moving
Could always use bigger ;)

I've exclusively used better bottles in my brewing (i have 3, looking to get more) and can't complain at all. The only problem i am worried with is scratching them on the inside, though i've found even with the grossest leftovers from months of fermenting, all you need is half a scoop of oxy soaked in to the brim and it'll take out all the nasties easily. Many people are worried about oxygen getting through, though that hasn't been a problem with me (at least i haven't noticed any problems) so i consider it a nonissue..
bottom line, i love that they are light, won't break, and will stand up to the test of time if you treat them right, and if you accidentally knock them off the counter.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: - won't break
- lightweight
- not a bad price
Cons: - plastic can scratch

Great product at a great price. I wanted glass but I couldn't justify the price.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Lightweight, clear, cheap, durable, easy to clean.
Cons: 5 gallons of wort is pretty heavy. Leaning a full carboy to the side collapses the corner. Not critical but probably not a good idea to do this often.

I like that completely filled, it is up to half the weight of a glass carboy. It is also much less dangerous if dropped. Other than that, it is a plastic carboy. What else can you say...
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light weight. Looks more professional. Get to watch the fermentation!
Cons: Plastic. Feels less important than Glass.

Great with the true flow valve. Easy to clean and rack to a secondary or bottling bucket. If buying with the true flow valve the tool to remove is a must in order to clean and install. Great product
Price Payed: $55.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Good for both primary and secondary fermenting. Also have tru flo for easy racking to secondary/bottling bucket. Easy to clean with hot water and oxy clean.
Cons: Not easy to pick up or move without causing solution to come out of valve

In my opinion this is strictly better than a carboy. It's lighter, easier to clean and move around, and practically impossible to break. It's even around the same price or possibly cheaper than equivalent carboys. An all around great product!
Recommended? Yes
Pros: * Great price
* Easy to clean
* Easy to handle
* You can watch fermentation
Cons: * None!

I exclusively use better bottles for my fermentation. I own 6 of them. They are long lasting and have provided me with great fermentation's.
They can scratch easily but, as long as you give it a good soak and don't have to scrub to hard the better bottles are easy to clean.
Price Payed: $27.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Strong, Lightweight, good beer
Cons: Scratches easily

I think that if i had the choice again that i would have bought the glass carboy for 10 bucks more. the musting cap wont slide over the opening without having to really work at it.
Recommended? No
Pros: can see fermentation
its light
Cons: scratchable
the musting cap has a hard time fitting the opening

The better bottle works great as a secondary fermentor if you do not plan on leaving your beer in secondary for very long, but never use it as a primary fermentor or it will be impossible to clean. I wish I would have bought glass instead of this.
Recommended? No
Pros: not breakable, lightweight
Cons: difficult to clean
Synopsis: Buy glass instead!

Bought a plastic better bottle for hard apple cider this winter. Still cookin.. No complaints.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Cheap, transparent, unbreakable, lightweight
Cons: Plastic
Synopsis: This is my first carboy.

Back