Best yeast for bubblegum/banana flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdusters

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to brew a really estery hefeweizen with mainly bubblegum and some banana flavors.

What would be the best yeast to go about this, and what temperature would I have to ferment at to get the most bubblegum and a moderate amount of banana?

Thanks. :rockin:

Wyeast 3068 and WLP300 (essentially the same strain) can be manipulated to have bubblegum flavors by increasing fermentation temperatures if that is really what you want.

Wyeast 3068 and WLP300 (essentially the same strain) can be manipulated to have bubblegum flavors by increasing fermentation temperatures if that is really what you want.
How warm should I ferment, though? I tried getting bubblegum in the last hefe I brewed and all I got was a ton of banana. Do I need to go even warmer than 75?

I guess I'm assuming that traditional German Hefe yeasts will result in bubblegum but maybe not. I know that Belgian yeasts can. Maybe if you use one German and one Belgian yeast in the same batch at the highest recommended temperature?

How warm should I ferment, though? I tried getting bubblegum in the last hefe I brewed and all I got was a ton of banana. Do I need to go even warmer than 75?

That's way too warm. That yeast likes to be fermented in the low to mid-60s.

I brewed a banana dunkel with that yeast. Fermented at 75 and got the flavor I wanted with just the yeast. It seems high but I got the banana esters I wanted.

Use Wyeast 3068 or WLP300. Personally I feel being able to push one ester profile over the other is less than accurate. It's more like if you ferment in the low 60's you get less esters, in the high 60's you get more. I've fermented it in the 70's and it was just bad all around.

I just did a batch with WLP400 with temps btw 65-68 and got a very distinct and pleasant bubblegum flavors.

I brewed a heff with 3068 and fermented it at 75ish and it was fantastic! Lots of esters, banana and clove. It was a great beer, I have made it twice. I also brewed a heff using the WLP300 (supposed to be the same as 3068) but it had nowhere near the amount of esters that the 3068 had.

low to mid 70's work well

Did a Hefe at upper 60s that climed close to mid 70s and it was a banana bomb with 3068, I didn't get any clove at all from it at those temps and no banana. I would try 300 when I do my next hefe in June/July.

Fermentation temperature is the only factor in determining ester profile in a wheat beer.

The amount of ferulic acid from an acid rest the precursor to 4-vinyl guaiacol will have a lot to do with esters created by the yeast.

Also the amount of oxygen in the beer at the beginning of fermentation also have an affect on ester profile. The more oxygen, the less ester profile (Yeast - The practical guide to beer fermentation - White and Zainasheff)

Warmer fermentation (above 68) seems to produce more banana and bubblegum though.

Fermentation temperature is the only factor in determining ester profile in a wheat beer.

The amount of ferulic acid from an acid rest the precursor to 4-vinyl guaiacol will have a lot to do with esters created by the yeast.

Also the amount of oxygen in the beer at the beginning of fermentation also have an affect on ester profile. The more oxygen, the less ester profile (Yeast - The practical guide to beer fermentation - White and Zainasheff)

Warmer fermentation (above 68) seems to produce more banana and bubblegum though.
Thank you and everyone else for the very informative posts.

Hopefully I will get some bubblegum with my :ban: next time.

I was going to brew up a German Dampfbier,a sort of poor man's wheat bier. It's all barley malts,but brewed with cheap hops,& weizen yeast. It's said to have the bubble gum flavor on the back. I searched around a bit a couple of weeks ago,& decided to maybe try the Wyeast Bavarian wheat 3068 activator pack. It's said to have a balance of banana & bubble gum. But now I'm not so sure...

I've used all the above mentioned yeasts searching for the banana bonanza. I always ferment hefs in the low 70s.

I tried the liquids first and had good-ish results. I generally don't use liquid yeasts though, so I tried WB-06 (dry yeast) and it was banana-awesomeness...the first batch. This latest batch though was more like an American wheat. Very clean and, well, wheaty.

I'm going to go back to WLP300 later in the summer.

Back