Best way to use homegrown hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
I have hops ready for harvest but no great way to store them. I'm thinking of picking them and using them as a flameout addition. I'd also like to dry hop. Should I leave some on the bines for another week and pick them when I'm ready to dry hop? I have a dehydrator so I could dry them but I don't have a vacuum bagger. I'm not sure if drying and freezing would be an option or not

Since you won't now the AA%, flameout or dryhop is the best place to use them...

You could leave some for when you're ready to brew a wet hop brew...
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictiona...text=If they aren't used,, or “harvest” beers
Those need to be used fairly quickly after harvest...

Depending on how many cones you have, it may be easier to build a simple oast than run multiple batches thru the dehydrator. But you can definitely use the dehydrator to find the 0% moisture weight:
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/drying_hops_on_a_small_scale

You need to dry or use these VERY quickly after harvesting.

I ended up splurging on one of these:
http://www.chardproducts.com/assets...FillWyI3NjciLCI0NTAiXQ/DD-SS16T-1-850x500.jpg
DD-SS16T-1-850x500.jpg

Right now, I have about 1 kg of fresh Cascade hops in it drying - 8 trays loaded at about 120g per tray. 110 degrees F for 7 hours. I did a batch of Crystal hops last night for 9 hours at 115 degrees, and there were a bit over-dried. Once they're dried, you should be able to just seal them in any airtight container and refrigerate them for a day or two until you use them. For longer storage, get a vacuum sealer - they're not terribly expensive and they're available at a wide range of big-box stores (a whole shelf full of them at my local Wal-Mart right now).

I use two generic HVAC filters on top of a box fan. Set it on top of two chairs for air flow. Secure the two halves with painters tape. Super cheap. Takes 2 days to reach ~25% residual moisture content. I also live in Colorado, it’s super dry here.

This was my Alpharoma harvest last week.
04B55522-32C0-4CD2-B50B-1CA40DF6A7D7.jpeg
68315067-0A2C-4404-8A73-F6C768593CB3.jpeg

I just use 2 screens and lay them on my pool table with a light breeze going over them. They take about 2 days to dry then I put them in a zip lock bag in the freezer and plan a brew within 48 hours.
Usually use them in the whirlpool or as dry hops. Last year I did a triple decoction dry hopped kolsch. It was fun!
20210813_104503.jpg

I could probably find a vacuum bagger if I must but I was hoping to avoid that. Would my hops be unviable for dry hopping if I leave them dried in a ziplock back for a week? I could also possibly leave some on the bines

I use two generic HVAC filters on top of a box fan. Set it on top of two chairs for air flow. Secure the two halves with painters tape. Super cheap. Takes 2 days to reach ~25% residual moisture content. I also live in Colorado, it’s super dry here.

This was my Alpharoma harvest last week.
View attachment 741892View attachment 741893
Does it get any lower moisture wise? I read I should target under 10%

I'll throw in my personal experience just for fun. It sounds like I'm a little late to the party, but I feel like sharing.

I have a nugget hop plant, and it's been producing more than enough for me to use for the last two years. Last year I decided to make a wet hop beer so I wouldn't have to store all of them in the freezer (which didn't work anyway, my vacuum sealer broke). Rather than make a Super Nugget IPA, I decided to look at the range of AA% for the nugget variety, and I plugged in the low end AA% as a bittering charge with a really simple partial-extract barelywine recipe, and I adjusted the hops so that I'd get the IBUs in the high range for an English barleywine, but if my Nugget had variety average AA% I'd have IBUs somewhere between English and American barelywine styles.

I did it again this year. Those hops brought plenty of bitterness to the wort. I wouldn't do this for just any beer, but sometimes it's kind of fun to just make a few gallons of something and not know exactly how it'll turn out, and not know if you'll ever be able to duplicate it exactly.

Back