Best way to take agravity reading in a 6.5 GAL flass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
As the title suggests I am using a 6.5 gallon glass carboy as my primary fermenter. I have been tilting it on the side and reacing a sanitized turkey baster in to get a sample into the hydrometer cylinder. Is there a better way to do it? perhaps without wasting any proto-beer?

I'm going to turn everyone on to my own personal favourite. Providing you don't have a bunch of junk on the sides where you can't read it. (which, of course, most always happens...)

I have several hydrometers.
I put one in my fermenter.
Leave it.
Check it.

Careful when extracting...glass on glass, etc...

Get a wine theif. It is one of the most indispensable items i have in my brew equipment. And an auto siphon. And ...and ... And ...

I'm going to turn everyone on to my own personal favourite. Providing you don't have a bunch of junk on the sides where you can't read it. (which, of course, most always happens...)

Leave it.
Check it.

I thought about doing this but wasnt sure if the acuracy would change the longer it sat in there. co2 bubbles might attacht to it.. yeat might get stuck to it, krausen might stick to it making it harder to read and increasing its weight.

But I might give it a try.

Leave it.
Check it.

Brilliant!

Me I don't check - just leave everything alone for 3-4 weeks and assume all is well and fermented. Then I take a reading when I put it in the keg or bottles so I can tell my friends and colleagues how much to drink and still be able to drive home (usually 1.5, I like my beer a little on the strong side.)

Back