Best way to store yeast cake and how long is it good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had success using sterilized quart Mason jars. Just pour the whole thing in, screw the lid on loose, and put in the fridge. When I'm ready to use it again, I use www.mrmalty.com to calculate viability and necessary volume at pitch time.

Agreed topend. I rinse in 70-75F water to remove trub and let settle, then I dump from one sanitized container to smaller, fridge friendly, mason jars or even small (<1 liter) soda bottles.

I've caught viable yeast without needing to repurchase. I believe the wisdom is, pitch up in gravity, always make a starter, and restart with a fresh strain after a few batches. Some go as low as 3 batches, some as many as long as no off flavors develop.

Should be good at least one month. Many have reported success with 6-18 month old washed yeast. Depends on your sanitation, the condition of the yeast before you even wash it (not infected/dead) and of course the yeast strain itself.

I have a one month old I will try to make a starter soon with it, but it came off a cake that started with a 1.062 OG, so I need to brew a recipe darker and higher to avoid any flavours or characteristics of the old beer. It may be a bit but I will post here when I try one. The strain I will be using US-05 with a 2-row/centenial SMASH.

I recently used a cake, trub included that was sitting in the original bucket for about 2 months in my garage. That part of the 10-gallon batch took of in half the time that the second half did that got 2 packs of notty.

Back