Best way to store that delicious homebrew goodness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in Canada. I made around 30 gallons of homebrew. What is the best way to store large amounts in containers that can dispense easily(not a keg)? I bought 1 gallon glass jugs in the past but is there a more effective/cheaper way to store homebrew? Thanks!!!

How do you intend to dispense just pour? The one gallon jugs might be the ticket. Most of us either keg or bottle when we bottle we have to decide what size of bottle to use from 7 oz to 32 oz . I hope I have helped but I doubt it.:mug:

Pressure containers sound like what you're looking for? There's a manufacturer of these cube things on here that could be what you need. Most of us in the US either keg or bottle.

the 1 gallon glass containers do sound like the ticket for size and portability, but that would totally depend on the way the cap fits on the 1 gallon glass containers. If they are the same style that your typical growler has, then I would look elsewhere. Cheap and easy would be 2 liter or 3 liter soda containers. The caps hold a little better then the stamped metal lids on most growlers...... and they are disposable. big plus.

if you do, don't use ones that were used for root beer fyi.

horrible but honest reviews on those brew boxes.

square boxes for holding internal pressure. hmmmm, no kidding, it does not work????

there is a reason internal pressure holding vessels are round. kegs, of all sizes, soda bottles, beer bottles, (and why liquor bottles can be square, no internal pressure).

will edit and add a link for a similiar idea I saw, but done correctly.

I don't believe 1 gallon glass jugs are designed for carbonation. Those would be some big bombs. I am curious, why not keg? I can't think of a more cost effective option for that volume of beer. Otherwise get yourself a big bottling bucket and make a day of it.

I don't believe 1 gallon glass jugs are designed for carbonation.

This is my concern, as well. A lot of times, they're designed for the small amount of NEGATIVE pressure created by heat-pasteurizing a non-carbonated liquid (apple juice, say).

Thirty gallons is a BIG batch of beer to brew when you aren't sure what you're going to put it all! I get a little bit stabby when bottling a 5 gallon (net) batch. If I had to do six times that much in 12oz or 16oz bottles, I'd probably end up on America's Most Wanted.

I agree with the idea of 2 or 3 liter soda bottles. Particularly since you aren't kegging and it seems from the OP that you don't have that many beer bottles lying around, they're probably the cheapest and easiest pressure vessels you'll find. Since they're clear, remember to keep them well-hidden from any kind of light until you're ready to drink them. Start calling up family, canvas the neighborhood, hit up coworkers.

I don't believe 1 gallon glass jugs are designed for carbonation. Those would be some big bombs. I am curious, why not keg? I can't think of a more cost effective option for that volume of beer. Otherwise get yourself a big bottling bucket and make a day of it.
Most of my homebrew is applewine so its not carbonated

oh heck, non carbonated, no pressure? filled at room temperature? heck, glass bottles, ziplock bags (kidding) and if you already have the glass bottles, those will be just fine.

Back