Best way to split into 2 fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
Right now I am doing 10 gallon batches that I split into 2 6.5 gallon carboys. The first time I used vinyl tubing with a splitter like the picture below, it worked fine. I was also using leaf hops, so my false bottom in my boil kettle didn't clog up that much. When I did my stout lately with pellets, It took forever to drain. I don't want this to happen again in the future, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to split the batch while trying to get even distribution of the wort between the two carboys.
split.JPG

I follow the KISS method. I fill one to somewhere around the 5 gal mark and then switch the hose to the second carboy. Then at the end I switch back and forth so I get equal amounts in each carboy.

Its the pellets, they are a pain for syphoning and they just clog everything up real nice. You can hop bag your hops before they go it, it will help to cut down on the amount of trub.

I follow the KISS method. I fill one to somewhere around the 5 gal mark and then switch the hose to the second carboy. Then at the end I switch back and forth so I get equal amounts in each carboy.

+1 to the KISS method. I tend to make many things harder than they need to be, so when I can come up with a simple method like this, I stick with it!

Look into LilSparky's hop sock thingy....

yeah, I was hoping I could get by with my false bottom, and it does work when I just run a single straight tube out. I guess I will just keep it simple and run one hose and just go back and forth between them.

I figure if I've been boiling it for an hour it is pretty well mixed up ;) So I don't worry about putting it into both carboys at one time (I'd have to put a split after my CFC anyway) so I just fill one to 5.5 gal and then the other to 5.5 gallons (depending on what my final volume is of course)

I really would like to do the glass etching on the side of a carboy, just need the time to go find the etching solution

Back