Best Way to Remove Allen Bolts in Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
Howdy,

I bought a 20lb co2 tank and it came with a regulator with no gauges. It works fine but obviously can't tell home much pressure I'm applying to my kegs. I bought a low pressure gauge to throw on it, but the allen bolts plugs where the Hi/ Low gauges go wont budge.

What would be the best way to loosen or remove the allen bolts so i can add the gauge?

Thanks in Advance!

If the plugs are brass you could use a propane torch and carefully heat around the outside of the plug but not enough to heat the nut itself too much and quickly try to unscrew the plug, you'll want to clamp the the regulator some how first. If that dosnt work, and if you have an impact wrench and the right size allen scocket works very good to if you turn down the air pressure on the gun.

Don't use a torch on the regulator body or you'll melt some of the interals. The rubber diaphram is the most vulnerable part to that level of heat, but some regulators may also have internal parts made of nylon or other plastic.

Have you tried turning it the other way, some regulator threads are left handed.

Try AeroKroil
http://www.kanolabs.com/
This stuff blows any other penetrating oils away.
Let it soak in for a few hours before loosening your bolts.
You should hold the regulator in a vice to get good leverage.
You may even want to slide a long 1/2" pipe nipple over the handle side of the allen wrench for even better leverage.
Work the wrench back and forth in short motions while trying to loosen until the bolt seems to feel unfrozen.

Seriously?

I'll give it a try. I can see it has locknut or some kind of goop on the thread to help it stick but never thunk to go righty-loosey.

Thanks!

Have you tried turning it the other way, some regulator threads are left handed.

If Righty - Loosey doesn't work, i'm going with this stuff.

Thanks!

Try AeroKroil
http://www.kanolabs.com/
This stuff blows any other penetrating oils away.
Let it soak in for a few hours before loosening your bolts.
You should hold the regulator in a vice to get good leverage.
You may even want to slide a long 1/2" pipe nipple over the handle side of the allen wrench for even better leverage.
Work the wrench back and forth in short motions while trying to loosen until the bolt seems to feel unfrozen.

Seriously?

I'll give it a try. I can see it has locknut or some kind of goop on the thread to help it stick but never thunk to go righty-loosey.

Thanks!

Just take it easy, don't want you stripping threads. Sometimes left hand threads have markings on the flats of the "nut" (usually lines on the corners).
Can sort of see them in this pic
635a-pol-left-hand-nut_sm.jpg

Don't use a torch on the regulator body or you'll melt some of the interals. The rubber diaphram is the most vulnerable part to that level of heat, but some regulators may also have internal parts made of nylon or other plastic.

Im saying to heat it just enough to soften the sealent on the threads, you could also use a heat gun or a hair dryer, I deal with this kind of stuff all the time and it works, so what do you suggest LongDukDong to do.

Back