Best Way to Dispense from Corny Keg to a Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LastChair

Reaction score
I am building a chest freezer kegerator. I would like to dispense into a glass as well as a growler and would like to know the best way to acomplish this.
1. A gas manifold for the kegs and a secondary regulator for growler dispensing?
2. A flow control faucet?

Thanks

How about, a little 7" rubber tube that fits snugly over the tap. Slide the other end into the growler down to the base and pour the beer. It's what every single bar/brewpub/taproom uses around here.

Yeah no need to overthink it. If the old "hose over the faucet" isn't appealing enough, you can get a "growler filler" faucet attachment from many homebrew shops.

yep...i use the hose over the end of the tap method...just have to put the growler in a bowl because you will have some that comes out the top and you dont want to clean up that mess! haha

I slip a drilled rubber stopper over my faucet and push the growler up against that. It acts as a counter-pressure filler slowing the flow and keeping the foam down (i.e. no need to adjust regulator pressures). Keep the growler tilted at an angle where the pressure can just start to escape keeps the flow consistently slow. Filled to the brim with no overflow. Works every time! :D

I have not had much success with the hose method because of foam at 10 psi. I have had great success venting the keg through the pressure release valve and reducung the regulator to 2psi but was looking for a better long term solution.

The stopper method I use for growlers does not require hoses or venting pressure. Since it acts as a counter pressure filler the flow is reduced in the bottle. I forgot to mention that using a cold growler is best to keep the foam down in any circumstance. I used to freeze but have found refrigerated to work equally as good, if not better (no ice crystals to act as nucleation points). I'll see if I can find a video of the process.

I've also used the stopper method over an old racking cane stuck into the picnic tap. Works really well. In a hurry i'll simply vent the keg a touch and just use the racking cane with no stopper and it works just as well.

If you're getting foam at 10 psi, I'd look at lengthening the serving lines on all your kegs. 10-12' of 3/16" ID tubing works for most people, longer if you're using barrier tubing. You want a nice, slow, foam-free pour.

I use apiece of 3/16id 7/16 od beverage tubing. It provides more resistance than larger tubing. It fits perfectly inside a Perlick faucet.

If you're getting foam at 10 psi, I'd look at lengthening the serving lines on all your kegs. 10-12' of 3/16" ID tubing works for most people, longer if you're using barrier tubing. You want a nice, slow, foam-free pour.

The pour in a glass is perfect. The chilled growler with the hose has excessive foam. The rubber stopper method is worth a try.
Thanks all!

The pour in a glass is perfect. The chilled growler with the hose has excessive foam. The rubber stopper method is worth a try.
Thanks to all who responded.

I growlered some beer for deer camp last weekend... I filled the growlers straight from the tap, just as I'd pour into a glass.

It worked well, foaming was minimal and it stayed carbonated for the 48 hours it was in the growlers.

YMMV.

Here's what I do: (This one had more foam than usual but you get the idea ;))
[ame]http://youtu.be/1db5LMT_D0Y[/ame]

Back