best way to clean garbage pet bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalheadfrommars

Reaction score
i found some nice diet coke bottles. id guess there like 1 liter. i found the 16 ounce bottles are to small and the 2 liter to big. i found them on side of road. i figured a bleach mixture would kill any germ. . so how do you clean your bottles

There’s cleaning and there’s sanitizing. Use hot water “onestep” or unscented oxyclean use a bottle brush and scrub. Personally I’d take them to the recycling center. After you have them cleaned, sanitize before refilling. Bleach is not what most brewers choose, but an investment in a small bottle of starsan will last a very long time.

i was afraid hot water would make the pet weak. id sure hate to see them not be used. btw i found one yesterday and one today. im assuming ill find one everyday. its some liter bug who like diet coke

I’ve run plastic soda bottles through the dishwasher with PBW then sanitized with starsan. These were bottles rinsed immediately after consuming so there wasn’t any stuck on residue though.

I really appreciate where you're coming from with this but, I'd take them to recycle and just buy some. I have a few of the one liter bottles and find them a good size. They're all tonic water bottles that I consumed fighting leg cramps so I know where they have been.

I agree with the OneStep or unscented oxy type cleaner if you really must keep them.

All the Best,
D. White

cool ty everyone for now i just used bleech since its all i have and it wont quit raining so i cant get to store. now im just useing them for water storage. i have a scary feelings about corona

Back