Best way to boil wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Since I'm using a ten gallon kettle, the stove won't be the best solution long term.....is there a better or faster way to boil the wort? I thought about getting one of those propane grills, sort of like one that you use for a turkey cooker and use that....but that would need to be done outside correct? Fumes and all?

With a turkey burner, you'll definitely want to be outside, but it will boil your wort much quicker than on the stove. For the money, you can't go wrong with a propane burner at all. Relatively inexpensive, but definitely effective!

A turkey fryer base can be picked up for around $30 - $40 and you will need a propane tank. I would measure the base of your pot and compare. You definitely need to brew outside, at least in the garage to keep elements off you and crack the garage door to allow how much air flow you need.

I have an old grill that the top got busted off of during our move, put it in the truck the wrong way and the wind caught the lid and sent it flying down the highway LOL Funny, only because there was no traffic!

I put the kettle on that with the center burner going....just to see if it'll boil and if so how high can I get it going....if that'll work I'll use that, otherwise it's finding another unit.

Thanks again guys for the help.....last night was a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG night :)

How's propane and the venting issue different than say a gas stove? Just curious is all.

my guess on this one would be.. that a turkey fryer gas base has ALOT more flame shooting out, than a stove does (maybe less toxic fumes i dunno,, i said i was guessing :) ) another difference is Propane vs Natural Gas. is one fuel cleaner burning than the other? not sure.. just guessing again :D

How's propane and the venting issue different than say a gas stove? Just curious is all.

I beleive natural gas is more efficient as producing a larger flame than propane. There for creating less harmful exhaust. Now is that because the stove burner is better built than something meant for out doors , Im not sure.

Not sure if this grill thing is going to work or not, water is luke warm after being on the grill for say oh 15 minutes or so.....

How long does those turkey fryers take to heat up say 3-6 gallons of water?

I'm really liking this solution

IMG_20120205_094926.jpg

The flames might be too far from the bottom of your pot. Can you adjust the distance of grill and flames?
If your kettle will fit in the turkey fryer burner.5-6 gallons will most likely boil 30 mins. 3 gallons in 20. And it will use less fuel than your grill. Maybe you can have someone fabricate a cook station out of your grill parts. If they can weld they can change the base where the kettle sits and use less fuel that way....!

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...duct/10205245/72596?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

What about this unit? Says its 58,000 BTU's which seems to be more than the Bayou classic cookers which are rated at 55,000......

That looks like a great deal. I'd jump on it. You get a nice burner and a pot, strainer basket and a thermometer for 30 bucks so you solve your wort boiling issue and get a nice fryer and thermometer free. If I didn't already have a natural gas setup I'd be all over that.

Nevermind, that is too big for my pot...that has a size limit of min of 14" and my 10 gallon pot isn't that big, damn.

You can straddle two burners indoors to effectively boil 6-6.5 gallon wort in a 10 gallon kettle. I've done it with an 8 gallon kettle plenty of times.

I tried that Bob and it still took two hours to get it heated up to a boil and then another 20 or so to get the wort back up to a boil....I just hope I didn't screw the wort up.

The burner itself would be good, but you may not be able to use the pot and thermometer. the pot is only 10.5 quarts and the thermometer is only 5" long.

Did you use a heavy, tight fitting lid atop the kettle to bring the plain water up to a boil?

The burner itself would be good, but you may not be able to use the pot and thermometer. the pot is only 10.5 quarts and the thermometer is only 5" long.

You'll be able to use the pot and strainer as well as and the thermometer, maybe not for brewing but as a kick azz fryer. Like I said, I'd be all over this. It looks like the same burner as in their higher priced kits and you're getting all the extra stuff for a mere 30 bucks. You can't go wrong.

Yes that seems like a better deal than the lowes one. Also, I don't see what burner is on the lowes one but it doesn't look like it throws a wide flame just a pinpoint flame but I can't tell for sure by the pics.

I'm getting back in to brewing after a 15 year break, but I've fried up dozens of turkeys in that time and have three well used fryers in the garage now. I would go with a unit that has a rosette burner like this one, over one with the jets.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
The jets are great for getting a lot of heat in a hurry, but are a pig for temp control, they are also considerably louder than a cast iron rosette burner.

I have a cook top with a 20K burner and the strongly recommend a 1200CFM blower to handle the excess heat and humidity from burning natural gas, at 3 times the BTUs a Propane burner could be used indoors if you had the ability to remove the CO2 and water vapor it produced, outside is just cheaper, easier and safer since most vent-hoods are in the 450 to 600CFM range.

BTW, my newest fryer is an electric one that will not boil over and set everything thing on fire. After close to a eighty turkeys in 20 years I figured it was time to take it easy instead of babysitting a couple of three turkeys every thanksgiving.

I got the bass pro shop burner, and with the bass pro bucks I had, I payed $18! Let me tell you, it works great! 5 gallons to a boil in about 25-30 min. Also, look around for a bigger pot. I got a nice stainless 28qt one for $59. So, for around, $89 including the long probe thermometer. I was ready for full 5 gal. Boils.

Just to let some know, the reason why propane or natural gas needs to be used outdoors is that when burning, the gas uses oxygen produces CO2 in nominal quantities and water vapor in larger quantities. Its the chemistry of combustion. CO is also formed when the flames hit the cool pot and combustion is interrupted. With smaller sizes of burners, no venting is requiered. I have a 20000btu propane fireplace in my living room that is not vented, nor does it have to be. When it runs in winter, the air does get heavier and much more humid. A fan circulating air from another room into the lr dissapates this. I love the fireplace. Its 100% efficient!

55-60k btus are much bigger and can be too much for a tight house to properly ventilate for. I am hoping to buy a large commercial Viking cooktop for my kitchen, both for beer and for cooking. That unit will need to be vented too.

Back