Best use for Citra Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spent a decent portion of my brews this year doing single hop "experiments" with my IPA recipe. Citra clearly won out. I got punched in the face by its flavor and aroma. I also only hop burst/late hop, so its really powerful. Summit was the only other hop that came close. Citra is just amazing. Glad I preorder this year and still have a half pound in the fridge

I also did this, My recipe fermented fairly dry 1.01, but my taste buds were definitely tasting sweet tropical fruit notes on the finish. I really enjoyed it, some thought that the pineapple /apricot was too much, Citra has a unique and complex flavor profile.

I am a huge Citra fan. Combined with Centennial, it's really great. I do find it to add sweetness, so for an IPA I like a big bittering charge and a low mash temp to get it rather dry. Of course I like to that anyway. But Citra is a lovely hop.

yeah use citra sparingly i did a citra smash and it had a harsh grapefruit flavor (still drinkable though:cross:) but i highly recommend dry hopping with citra because the aroma was awesome

0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 12.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 8.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

that was my hopping schedule

edit: i should add i bottled this beer and after 5+ weeks the aroma would hit you upon opening the bottle

I think using any citra at 60 minutes is wasteful.

Herky21 said:
I think using any citra at 60 minutes is wasteful.

This was an experimental pale ale, a smash more or less, and yes i would agree not to use any citra at 60 and i would also pair it next time with another hop for flavor and aroma

Love Citra..but i don't think there is any close enough substitute. I tried to do a SMaSH citra pale ale, but my local home brew store only had one oz packet of citra hops, so I did a SMaSH with Calypso instead.

Back