Best timing to move pilsner to refrigeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When is the best time to move a lager to refrigeration

• As soon as fermentation starts (move primary to fridge)

• After primary fermentation completes

Results are only viewable after voting.
DieBartDie said:
I am brewing 5 gallons of North German pilsner (malt extract). When is the best time to move it to refrigeration?

If you are using a lager yeast then it likes colder temps. Your yeast should have information regarding what temp to pitch at and how much yeast to use. That being said I would think 55 F would get you started if you do not have other information.

When I brew a lager, I will bring the carboy downstairs (about 63 or so) and let fermentation start. Once it starts, the carboy is then moved to a waiting fridge that is set around 50. I'll keep it there for about 2 weeks, bring it out at warm for a diacetyl rest for about 3 days, rack, then start to slowly (about 2 degrees/day) cool it to around 28-30, which I will hold it for at least 6 weeks (longer=smoother), depending on the strength. The higher the alcohol, the longer the lagering. I have a 15% lager in now that has been sitting since Sept. 2006 at about 30.

And I like to cool my wort to actual fermenting temps of around 50F and THEN pitch slightly cooler yeast into my wort.
Into the lager/fermenting fridge set at 50F it goes until I need to take it out for a diacetyl rest.

So to answer you question polled, it should START in the refridgerator to reduce the chance of esters and fusels from forming, like they do during the first phase of fermentation.

I always pitch my lagers cold- take the starter out of the fridge and let warm up to 46-48 degrees and then pitch into 52 degree wort. I keep it at 50-52 until 75%done, then do the d-rest if needed. Then secondary at 55 or so (if that yeast likes it) and then start lagering by bringing down the temp 5 dgrees per day.

So, I couldn't answer that poll. None of the above?

Another "no best" poll. I'm in the pitch a little warm & move when fermentation starts camp.

Back