Best Supermarket "Sugars" for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moluken

Reaction score
The brewing store and the DME is kind of far, so Im looking for an idea of a sugar available at the supermarket that i can use to brew a stout and a real ale kit from coopers.

i was thinking in using something like liquid corn honey, real honey, brown sugar, melasse, some kind of organic pancakes syrup etc. but i dont know what's the best?

I have 500g maple syrup and glucose for priming, and i have 1,3kg of liquid light malt extract and 700g of dextrose to add to the recipe

Thanks for the ideas!

Cheers! :drunk:

For a stout i wouldnt hesitate to go for something dark like a little molassis, You may not whant to lighten up the body too much with simple sugars like those though. Your going to lighten the body up and unless you have much backing body it can thin it, if its a high gravity beer your pretty ok.If its the flavor your going for try adding it late or priming with it.
Are you trying to up alchohol or add flavor?I would add the light malt extract for shure.
Im not shure how close dextrose is to any other sugar but alot add dextrose to higher alcohol beers that can deal with thinning its body.Personally trying to boost the alcohol primarily i would add dextrose over a 7% abv.but i wouldnt probably add much and really i would just add more dme.

Do you mean for priming sugar? Or as the actual base of your beer?? Grain is the major component of beer (or malt extract). To use honey for example wouldn't even be a beer, it would be a mead, or grape juice would be a wine. It wouldn't even be possible to make a stout from light liquid malt extract and dextrose. You will need the dark malt/grains. Sugar/honey/syrup can be used, but only as minor adjuncts. your beer comes from the hops and malt/grain.

kylesmoney said:
Do you mean for priming sugar? Or as the actual base of your beer?? Grain is the major component of beer (or malt extract). To use honey for example wouldn't even be a beer, it would be a mead, or grape juice would be a wine. It wouldn't even be possible to make a stout from light liquid malt extract and dextrose. You will need the dark malt/grains. Sugar/honey/syrup can be used, but only as minor adjuncts. your beer comes from the hops and malt/grain.

Your talking about a sugar addition, right? My Honeyweizen uses 2 pounds of honey, and it is definitely a beer and not a mead. Or are you talking about fermenting something at the store as your base of a recipe?

no no, im talking for the actual base of the beer, im using a coopers stout kit as the base.

Im also trying to reach like 6% max 7 % of Achool.

For priming i will use glucose for some bottles and the others ones with maple syrup, i hear is the best way to go with it, as it keeps some flavor.

sorry i didnt explain well that the base of everithing was the coopers stout kit.

but yeah i will buy some interesting sugars they sell at the store and try adding a few of them in small amounts. Its all about experimenting after all jeje ;)

I will also look for some recipes in this website to get some ideas, and if someone wants to share a simple one using a coopers stout kit it will perfect ;

anyways Thanks for your answers

I wouldn't go more then 25% refined sugars. Even then, pitch enough yeast and watch your germ temp

what kind of un-refined sugar can i get at the groceries stores? i know the definition of "refined" but i dont see what examples you are talking about. as it seems that pretty much all the sugars or products we get are extracted and purified from something.

par exemple , what about agave nectar or pure honey ? it is a good idea to brew a stout with it? should i use less than 25% of them ?
In you opinion what would be the best option other than DME ?

Thanks!

I like demerara sugar. It's raw cane sugar that tastes like light brown sugar laced with a good amount of honey. It can also give a tiny bit more color. Then there are Mexican,central American,etc types of sugars others on here use.

If you want high octane stout than go ahead and dump pounds of sugar in there. It will tasta boozy and thin and kind of weird. If you want good stout then go ahead and make it as the recipe calls for.

Latest posts

Back