Best sub for Lavlin d-47 for Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifton

Reaction score
I'm making a Braggot and don't have D47 as per the recipe. I've got Cote Des Blanc, Montrachet, and Premier Cuvee. Which should I use?

Here's what Keller has to say about those strains:

Côte des Blancs : Formerly known as Epernay 2, this is another slow fermenting, very low foaming and low flocculating yeast tolerant of low temperatures. It tends to bring out floral and fruity qualities in wines and can be useful in both grape--especially fruity German style whites-- and non-grape wines--such as peach or raspberry--where a bouquet is especially desired. This yeast will not push alcohol production over 13% in a cool fermentation but has a range of 12-14%.

Montrachet : Perhaps the most popular yeast used. It is available for both red and white wine fermentations and may be called Montrachet Red and Montrachet White. It works especially well in producing Chardonnay in barrel and stainless steel. It also tolerates sulfur dioxide well, but does not work well with high sugar levels (more than 23.5 Brix). It is this ineffectiveness in high sugar levels that is most likely responsible for many stuck fermentations. Temperature range is 59-86°, low flocculation, and alcohol is pretty reliable at 13%.

Premier Curvee : Also known as Prise de Mousse, this is a Champagne yeast that is strong acting, low foaming and therefore qualified for barrel fermentations. It imparts a strong yeasty aroma and is useful for secondary fermentation in both still and sparkling wine production. Good for reds and whites alike and for restarting stuck or sluggish fermentations. Temperature range is 45-95° (equal to Lalvin EC-1118), flocculation is low, and alcohol is reliably 18%.

Obviously, each strain has it advantages & disadvantages. It really just depends on what you want your end product to be. Ideally, I'd go get a packet of D-47, but if I had to choose between the 3, I'd go with Montrachet. Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.

1.102 9lbs honey 6lbs LME 2oz cluster boiled in malt extract for 30 minutes. Then chilled and added honey. I did a SNA with Nutrient (all I had at the time). I've recently gotten ahold of some Fermaid K and I'm planning my attack. I WILL bring this down to at least 1.020. I'd really like 1.012-1.018 though.
I have more honey and some Premier Cuvee.
You're asking questions like you want to give me some advice.
I'm listening.

A couple of more questions -
Did you aerate it at all?
What temperature did you keep?

For restarting, the Premier Cuvee is a good choice. Just acclimate it by following a process such as the one outlined by Hightest is the sticky at the top of the forum.

Medsen

I aerated and kept at 68.
I was just reading Hightest's FAQ.
I only have one pack of yeast so I hope that'll do.

One pack will be enough. You'll be essentially making it into an acclimated starter so there will be plenty of cells.

Latest posts

Back