Best Small Batch Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New brewer here. At the risk of sounding like I’m asking a dumb question, any recommendations (or cautions) on small batch (1-3 gallon) fermenters?

I’ve got carboys and a Fermonster, but I’m wondering if there are other vessels you all have had success with in the past. I like to have multiple brews in the works at the same time, so I’m typically looking at the 1 gallon range.

I brew 3G batches all the time and like the white plastic buckets from Lowes and/or Walmart. WAY cheaper than those from the home btw shops and work just as well. They come in 3 and 5G sizes perfect for small batches.

On the higher end, the SS Brewtech BrewBucket Mini is a great little fermenter. I bought my first one 4 years ago, and was kind of "meh" on it, but I just got a second, and they've improved it with handles and an attached base, and it's great.

Also on the high end, it can be very convenient fermenting in 1.75-gallon kegs.

All that said, I put a lot of batches in my little Big Mouth bubblers. Get the plastic one, not the glass.

More power to the folks that make 1 gallon batches work, but the only warning I have is that your ability to measure small weights needs to be on point. If your recipe calls for 3 grams of high alpha bittering hops, it needs to be 3, not 2.9 or 3.1.

In other words, the smaller the batch, the more precise your volume and weight measurements need to be. Get a good 100 gram scale.

2G bucket. Free from grocery store and you can toss them if they get scratched up or use them for non beer purposes.
If your grocery has a deli/ bakery, they often get cake frosting in 2 gallon buckets. They tend to scoop it out with silicone or plastic so it's scratch free. If they don't have one the day you ask, you can ask them to set one (or two) aside.

I have 2 10L corny kegs that work great. I ferment and serve in the same keg.

I don't know if you can find them where you are, but 5L shochu bottles (PET) work well, too.

That SS Brewtech bucket mini looks great. I’m trying to avoid using the plastic as much, particularly for longer fermentations. The wide mouth Fermonsters have been great for me but I want to get into some more advanced fermentations. Anyone know of a similar stainless steel option but that has a thermometer? I track temps pretty closely so I can figure out mistakes etc

I have 3 and 6 gallon fermonsters. The three is great for small batches. I have the model with a spigot and I leave my crash guardian connected and bottle straight from the fermonster to avoid oxygen intake as much as I can.

I have 2 10L corny kegs that work great. I ferment and serve in the same keg.
This is probably the best solution, but not the cheapest. You can ferment with or without pressure, do closed transfers or ferment and serve in the same vessel. They are made from stainless steel and last forever. You can use a floating pickup in them. They are easy to clean. Easy to sell later if not used. Brilliant.

That SS Brewtech bucket mini looks great. I’m trying to avoid using the plastic as much, particularly for longer fermentations. The wide mouth Fermonsters have been great for me but I want to get into some more advanced fermentations. Anyone know of a similar stainless steel option but that has a thermometer? I track temps pretty closely so I can figure out mistakes etc

You mean to monitor temp of the fermenting wort? Or do you want to be able to trigger heating/cooling based on temperature detection? If the prior, I'd say get a Tilt. Hell..even if latter, get a Tilt.

I have to tape the probe on my Inkbird to the side of my fermenting keg, so I use the Tilt info to verify/calibrate the temp probe info.

And regarding my AJ jugs container suggestion earlier, I only use those for ciders. Useful for trying to figure out which flavors work post fermentation and since I'm pitching on something that typically has more sugar anyways, I'm not as worried about oxidation as much.

Feel like I've run through a lot of different fermenters trying to figure out what works best for me. I've used those jugs, LBMBs, Kegs, Spiedel, Fermonsters (modified for closed transfer) and am currently settled (again) on fermenting out of a keg. I've got a 6G for my 5G batches, and I have a 1.5 and 2.5 that I've used for small batch stuff in the past.

I'm certain there are more than a few on the board who make award winning beers with plastic buckets though. More about the process than the equipment in most cases.

You mean to monitor temp of the fermenting wort? Or do you want to be able to trigger heating/cooling based on temperature detection? If the prior, I'd say get a Tilt. Hell..even if latter, get a Tilt.

I have to tape the probe on my Inkbird to the side of my fermenting keg, so I use the Tilt info to verify/calibrate the temp probe info.

And regarding my AJ jugs container suggestion earlier, I only use those for ciders. Useful for trying to figure out which flavors work post fermentation and since I'm pitching on something that typically has more sugar anyways, I'm not as worried about oxidation as much.

Feel like I've run through a lot of different fermenters trying to figure out what works best for me. I've used those jugs, LBMBs, Kegs, Spiedel, Fermonsters (modified for closed transfer) and am currently settled (again) on fermenting out of a keg. I've got a 6G for my 5G batches, and I have a 1.5 and 2.5 that I've used for small batch stuff in the past.

I'm certain there are more than a few on the board who make award winning beers with plastic buckets though. More about the process than the equipment in most cases.
I have been trigger shy on the tilt but maybe I should just bite the bullet. My 10 gal spike conical’s probe sits at about the edge of a 5 gal batch and I just had to top up my lager so the probe would be submerged. I was not happy about my gravity going down as a result. Do you find the tilt to be accurate with its temperature readings? I’ve read a fair amount on gravity but not a lot on temp.

Plastic leaches in acidic conditions so I’m always worried about flavour transfer, plastics leaching and health issues down the road, and infection. I’ve never tried using a keg as I’m still getting comfortable with kegging. Seems like it might be the best option. For longer fermentations, Do you have to transfer it off the yeast eventually?

I have been trigger shy on the tilt but maybe I should just bite the bullet. My 10 gal spike conical’s probe sits at about the edge of a 5 gal batch and I just had to top up my lager so the probe would be submerged. I was not happy about my gravity going down as a result. Do you find the tilt to be accurate with its temperature readings? I’ve read a fair amount on gravity but not a lot on temp.

Plastic leaches in acidic conditions so I’m always worried about flavour transfer, plastics leaching and health issues down the road, and infection. I’ve never tried using a keg as I’m still getting comfortable with kegging. Seems like it might be the best option. For longer fermentations, Do you have to transfer it off the yeast eventually?

There is a thread about stuff you wish you had done sooner that I responded to somewhere...I should probably mention that purchasing a Tilt sooner is one of those things. It seems like a fairly trivial thing, to be able to monitor temp/gravity but for me...it was huge. Especially once I stopped using the Fermonsters where I could no longer "see" activity.

I don't really trust the gravity as much from middle to the end, because gunk accumulates during the ferment which ultimately effects those readings. I've had a couple of occasions where that hasn't always been true but it is moreso than not.

Monitoring temp of the wort, along with being able to use that info to calibrate what the temp probe on the Inkbird is telling me...freekin game changing. Would definitely be a moot point if I had the ability to do a thermowell, but I don't, and probably won't for the foreseeable future.

I have a 3 gallon glass carboy for 2.5 gallon batches ( cost 35 bucks ) love it . I have several 1 gallon glass jar type fermenters for 1 gal. batches but would recommend something just a bit larger like the LBMB (1.4 gal) or similar if you wanna do a lot of 1 gal stuff . I'm just doing 1 gallon for experimenting and get a six pack out my 1 gal fermenters.

For longer term aging, I like 1-gallon glass "mason" jars. Most of them come with plastic lids now that are easy to drill for an airlock.

I've used those jugs, LBMBs, Kegs, Spiedel, Fermonsters (modified for closed transfer) and am currently settled (again) on fermenting out of a keg. I've got a 6G for my 5G batches
Could you share the details on the 6G kegs? I was looking for something like that for a while to do pressure fermentation but I gave up when I couldn’t find anything over 5G.

Could you share the details on the 6G kegs? I was looking for something like that for a while to do pressure fermentation but I gave up when I couldn’t find anything over 5G.

Sure, I use a Torpedo 6G keg. Got it from MoreBeer.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-keg-6-gal.html
Clawhammer actually just released a 6.5 keg fermenter too a couple of months ago. I emailed them a couple of weeks back and it would be .25" too tall for my FC utilizing their blow off tube via the 1.5" TC on the lid. I'm really bummed as when I saw the vids for this thing..I'll admit I got SUPER excited. Still doing some mental gymnastics to try and figure out how I might make it work.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/co...ucts/stainless-steel-keg-fermenter-6-5-gallon

Yes, these are mine, and yes, I use them regularly. Sizes are 1 gallon for the 4-inch OD vase and the pickle jar (actually I have several), and about 2.3 gallons for the 6-inch OD vase. Vases are about 24 inches high. Source for the vases:

https://vasemarket.com/26-x-6-inch-clear-cylinder-glass-vase
49378960328_be033f2c13_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have 4 little big mouth fermenters. Currently have 3 gallons of mead brewing with one left for racking. I also like doing a 2.5 gallon batch, split it between two fermenters, then use different yeasts or dry hops to see the difference. I also have 3 one gallon kegs so I’m not bottling and can take them with me pretty easily

My Brewbuckets have the cooling coil, thermowell, and controllers so I have some degree of control over temperature especially during summer. Overall the probes sync pretty well with my Tilt devices. No regrets here for the investment.
20221224_233635.jpg

I have two tilts. Love em. Are they necessary? Nope. But I like being able to monitor gravity ( as @Knightshade stated, I wouldn't trust it during fermentation, but it will show you that its going down, leveling off, where you're at for attenuation etc etc. It gives you a nice ballpark. I would never trust it for FG) and temperature, which I find to be extremely accurate. My tilt, ink bird, and the deal I have taped to the side of the fermonster always match. For gravity readings, that ballpark allows me to catch the tail end of fermentation to add my dry hop, better idea on a D rest if I'm doing one, or just raising temp to finish off an ale. I am not sure how well they perform inside stainless steel, however.

If you go that route, I do recommend linking it with a raspberry pi. The logging and charting is nice to look back to, plus you can check the spreadsheets on any device, anywhere, at anytime. The tilt has a pretty decent built in range (again, I use plastic. Not sure on SS or glass), but its great just checking progress from my MacBook in the back room, which is too far for the tilt app to connect.

Plastic leaches in acidic conditions so I’m always worried about flavour transfer, plastics leaching and health issues down the road, and infection.
Are you planning some long term storage? Because theres tons of us using plastic with no real issues. I wouldn't let a mead, wine, or long term store a beer on plastic though. But for the regular 2-3 week fermentation, it doesn't seem to be a big deal*.

*I am not a chemist.

Yes, these are mine, and yes, I use them regularly. Sizes are 1 gallon for the 4-inch OD vase and the pickle jar (actually I have several), and about 2.3 gallons for the 6-inch OD vase. Vases are about 24 inches high. Source for the vases:

https://vasemarket.com/26-x-6-inch-clear-cylinder-glass-vase
49378960328_be033f2c13_o.jpg
I have seen stuff like that randomly in stores and in other peoples houses and have regularly thought, "I bet I can ferment SOMETHING in that thing..."

And as far as the original question. I love ported Fermonsters. I do have a little big mouth bubbler as well, which at this point only really gets used for mead.

All the mentions of LBMBs makes me feel like I need to use mine. It has been neglected at the top of a cabinet in the garage for...a year and a half at least. I lent a second one to a friend of mine as he expressed some interest in trying to make a cider probably about 2 years ago and he hasn't done anything w/that either....

Sure, I use a Torpedo 6G keg. Got it from MoreBeer.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-keg-6-gal.html
Clawhammer actually just released a 6.5 keg fermenter too a couple of months ago. I emailed them a couple of weeks back and it would be .25" too tall for my FC utilizing their blow off tube via the 1.5" TC on the lid. I'm really bummed as when I saw the vids for this thing..I'll admit I got SUPER excited. Still doing some mental gymnastics to try and figure out how I might make it work.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/co...ucts/stainless-steel-keg-fermenter-6-5-gallon

I like that keg from Clawhammer, but man they're awful proud of it with that price tag.

I brew 3 gallon batches almost exclusively. I use a 5 gallon carboy as a fermenter. I have 3 gallon carboys if I need to secondary or age. I have one 3 gallon Fermonster, love it for the big opening and more versatility to dry hop, age on oak, etc.

If I want to go smaller like a 1 gallon batch of mead, I have 2 of the Little Big Mouth Bubblers, pretty sure they are 1.5 gallons. And 1 gallon glass jugs. I haven’t done those often but am considering doing it more.

I have two tilts. Love em. Are they necessary? Nope. But I like being able to monitor gravity ( as @Knightshade stated, I wouldn't trust it during fermentation, but it will show you that its going down, leveling off, where you're at for attenuation etc etc. It gives you a nice ballpark. I would never trust it for FG) and temperature, which I find to be extremely accurate. My tilt, ink bird, and the deal I have taped to the side of the fermonster always match. For gravity readings, that ballpark allows me to catch the tail end of fermentation to add my dry hop, better idea on a D rest if I'm doing one, or just raising temp to finish off an ale. I am not sure how well they perform inside stainless steel, however.

If you go that route, I do recommend linking it with a raspberry pi. The logging and charting is nice to look back to, plus you can check the spreadsheets on any device, anywhere, at anytime. The tilt has a pretty decent built in range (again, I use plastic. Not sure on SS or glass), but its great just checking progress from my MacBook in the back room, which is too far for the tilt app to connect.

Are you planning some long term storage? Because theres tons of us using plastic with no real issues. I wouldn't let a mead, wine, or long term store a beer on plastic though. But for the regular 2-3 week fermentation, it doesn't seem to be a big deal*.

*I am not a chemist.

I have seen stuff like that randomly in stores and in other peoples houses and have regularly thought, "I bet I can ferment SOMETHING in that thing..."

And as far as the original question. I love ported Fermonsters. I do have a little big mouth bubbler as well, which at this point only really gets used for mead.
Thanks. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the tilt. Seems to be a good option. I primarily want more accurate temps and the ability to track the end of fermentation so I know more precisely when to keg/bottle it, rather than taking multiple samples.

I unfortunately know too much about the research behind plastics and leaching which is why I try to limit it to under a month, three weeks, though even that is too much. The leaching flavour part just makes me wonder when I can still smell the last batch in my fermenter. Kind of like putting whiskey in your nalgene and then, from there on out, your water tastes like whiskey. But this could be splitting hairs and I haven't noticed this one yet.

I have a small army of four liter wine jugs I use for one gallon batches. A little fermcap solves issues of blowoff unless they get filled almost up to the mouth.

For 2.5-5 gallon batches I use a standard brew bucket or now that I am spunding batches that go in kegs I'm brewing in a five gallon keg (I serve out of three gallon kegs).

I have a good number of small fermenters.

I really like my 3 gallon Fermonsters. It is nice to be able to see activity and they are so versatile. I have a pair, both with spigots (and I have a 7 gallon and a 1 gallon).

I also have a 1st generation of the Ss Brewtech bucket. I could not pass up the price...free! I do really like how easy the stainless is to clean and I am sure it will long outlast any of my Fermonsters. I do miss not being able to visually monitor fermentation (guess I need a floating hydrometer!). The base of the 1st gen is awkward since it does not attach. Overall a really nice fermenter if you have a few extra $$. Mine has a thermowell on the side for a temp probe, but it looks like that is not part of the current model.

I purchased a pair of the glass Little Big Mouth Bubblers with spigots. There are several flaws with the glass ones. Once the PET ones were back in stock, I picked up a pair of those. Besides some small flaws with the lid not wanting to stay in place during vigorous fermentation, these are awesome small fermenters.

As I mentioned, I have a 1 gallon Fermonster. I picked that up mostly just to evaluate it. If the PET LBMB were not so great, this would be a great fermenter. It tops out at around 1.2 gal to the lid, so maybe enough for 1.0 gal of wort. It is very thin (the 3 gallon Fermonsters are quite thin as well). It is nice that the same lid fits all the sizes.

I have used some other 1 gallon fermenters without spigots (like a glass jug & jar or some PET jugs that distilled water comes in). It is just so awkward for me to bottle when I am by myself trying to use a racking cane or auto-siphon. I pretty much only use my fermenters with spigots.

This is probably the best solution, but not the cheapest. You can ferment with or without pressure, do closed transfers or ferment and serve in the same vessel. They are made from stainless steel and last forever. You can use a floating pickup in them. They are easy to clean. Easy to sell later if not used. Brilliant.
This is what I do too, 3 gallon batches in 5 gallon kegs, ferment under pressure if I want. Brewing the best beer I've ever brewed. Would love to be able to do 5 gallon batches this way but the jump in cost for fermentation equipment is steep.

Latest posts

Back