Best Recipes For Kegs vs Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarySBrewing

Reaction score
Hello All, I'll thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide.
OK here is my concern, I'm an extract brewer and love brewing the Belgian ales, Abbys & Trappists. And I have only bottled it in past with exceptional results. I am setting up a home keg system and am going full tilt, complete with micromatic tower w/Koolrite glycol cooling module& Perlick 425SS faucets, my own glycol recirculating cooling system, I mean the bees knees.
So what IS my problem? -- I have been reading that the Belgian ales condition best in bottles for best flavor. Bummer. So what are best ales to keg with?? I like high to medium gravity recipes, have never tried a lager, maybe it's time? I hate to spoil a perfect beer that doesn't condition well in keg, and only want positve experience with home keg system.
Have a great weekend All.

That's an interesting question I'd like to see answered.
Can't imagine why a particular style of beer would be better conditioned in a bottle as opposed to kegged.
I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but I believe my beer has improved since I started kegging.
Not such much the taste, but the head retention. Although I'm sure there is correlation between head and and perceived mouthfeel.

What styles of beer are you kegging dmfa?, I have read that the reason Belgian ales are typically not available on tap is because they always bottle condition to improve flavor of beer, apparently the smaller area in a bottle allows the yeast to impart a fuller flavor during conditioning, whereas the larger internal volume of the keg allows yeast to separate too far from beer at top of keg to impart the flavors. Read it in "Brew Like A Monk" good book. So I am nervous about kegging my true love if it isn't going to be the same, if you know what I mean.

American ales mostly, a little English, and Scottish too.
I am not doubting what you've read. I was truly interested in hearing why.
The info from your book makes sense, but if you drink fast enough, no worries. Right?
Just kidding.

I don't think the difference would be that much if you carbed the keg naturally using sugar. Basically, "Keg Conditioning". If you force carb the keg, then the yeast will not be able to "finish" the beer like when you feed them a little.

I think the Belgians are bottle conditioned meaning they are naturally carbed and still have yeast in them to do their thing after being bottled. I bet you could achieve the same results by naturally carbing the keg with some kind of sugar and storing it at room temp to carb and then condition in the 50's for a time before moving to the fridge and chilling it down.

Latest posts

Back