Best Recipe Generator Online Tool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
I've researched Beer Smith, Brewers Friend and recently Beer Tools. I am seeking the simplest system for plugging in the basics of a recipe like batch size, all grain/extract/partial, intended ABV and general beer style. I want the recipe tool to suggest the basic ingredients/weights, mash/sparge temps/times, boil time, etc., but also allow me to tweak the parameters and show me the outcomes of my changes "on paper".

What am I missing, does this already exist? Or must we continue to trial and error with our known recipes? ALL Opinions are appreciated!!!

Beersmith comes with a number of recipes in various styles (and I noticed recently one of the add ons is a bunch of the Northern brewer recipes). If you load one of the recipes and hit the scale recipe button you can select your equipment profile (where you have saved all the settings you mention above) and it will essentially do the conversions to your system for you. Then you can tweak from there. You should also be able to go to the Beersmith cloud and download more recipes, I've just not used it.

I've researched Beer Smith, Brewers Friend and recently Beer Tools. I am seeking the simplest system for plugging in the basics of a recipe like batch size, all grain/extract/partial, intended ABV and general beer style. I want the recipe tool to suggest the basic ingredients/weights, mash/sparge temps/times, boil time, etc., but also allow me to tweak the parameters and show me the outcomes of my changes "on paper".

What am I missing, does this already exist? Or must we continue to trial and error with our known recipes? ALL Opinions are appreciated!!!

You say "simplest",but then include several things that you want the program to do. Brewtoad may be the best bet but beersmith is much more helpful in the learning curve.

brewtoad is your best option for online and free. i use it to rough out recipes. it's been accurate for me in the past.

So I just registered with Beer Tools basic membership and generating a quick Belgian Ale recipe was easy, (maybe too easy). Again there were LOT's of choices with regard to grains, but I want SUGGESTIONS. Sort of like going to the HB store and discussing it with the staff who make suggestions on ingredients. One variety of hops was suggested by BT but not the amount. NO spices or flavorings were suggested which doesn't make sense.

I see what you're after, I don't know of any programs that do that. I think there's just too many variables and too many choices. You're probably better off getting that info from style guidelines or a style book like Designing great beers or Brewing classic styles.

Yeah I think you're just going to have to research that part of it and figure out what you're after. Part of the experience here is trial and error.

Back