Best place to drill through chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I recently got a chest freezer that I am working on getting setup. I have a ranco ordered that will get here in a few days, and was wondering what is the best place to drill a hole for the temperature probe. And is there any place where I really shouldn't drill.

Here's the freezer if it makes a difference. It should have plenty on room for me.
http://www.frigidaire.com/products/freezers/chest_freezers/large/prod_AFFC1466D.asp

Unless you know exactly where the tubing and radiating elements are located you can not drill. If you happen to hit any vital parts it may become un-repairable. Most people make a 4 to 6 inch collar on the top and attach the lid to that. Beermuncher could give you any tips as his freezer is modified this way.

Like WBC said...You should not drill into a chest freezer, because they have their coolant lines in the walls of the freezer. You are almost guaranteed to Eff something up if you try and drill it.

If you can find one of the holes they make in the outer shell to inject all the insulation foam, you can dig around in there with a screw driver to make sure no coil is in the way. I found one behind the hinge. It was covered by a white sticker.

If you can find one of the holes they make in the outer shell to inject all the insulation foam, you can dig around in there with a screw driver to make sure no coil is in the way. I found one behind the hinge. It was covered by a white sticker.

I'll have to look for that since I don't need a collar. It is already larger then I need.

The collar is so you don't ruin it and can put the lid back on and use it for a freezer again later. It is NOT for more room in most cases.

The collar is so you don't ruin it and can put the lid back on and use it for a freezer again later. It is NOT for more room in most cases.

It can help though. Without my collar, I couldn't fit a 10 lb. CO2 tank, just a 5 lb. tank fit.

couldn't you drill through the top or maybe through the weatherstripping?

PICT0424.JPG

couldn't you drill through the top or maybe through the weatherstripping?

Does anyone know about this? I doubt there is anything to stop me from drilling through the lid. This wouldn't be ideal for the temperature probe, but I was thinking I might be able to put a 3 tap tower right on the lid.

Does anyone know about this? I doubt there is anything to stop me from drilling through the lid. This wouldn't be ideal for the temperature probe, but I was thinking I might be able to put a 3 tap tower right on the lid.

You can drill through the top, however the problem with that is that the freezer will no longer be viable for anything other than a keezer.

You can certainly mount a three-faucet tower to the top, but it will be very cumbersome to open and close the top, since you'll have a tower in the way. Also, if you haven't purchased the tower yet, you'll find that draft tower will be much more expensive than just the shanks and faucets needed for a collar.

Really, your best bet will be to build a collar with 2"x4" and mount the top to that. After all, there is a very good reason why n everyone builds a collar and
doesn't mount it directly to the top.

How do you access the kegs in that thing? Do you have to lift that whole top off?

Nope - the whole thing is attached to the lid. I just open it like before. Of course, the springs in the hinges can't hold that load, so I prop it open with a piece of wood. I can easily load and unload kegs. Lifting the whole thing off would suck - it weighs a LOT.

I have a similar issue since I need to cut a hole in the side of my standard fridge. I have a tap through the door but I plan on running lines upstairs to my kitchen. Since I don't know where any cooling lines are my plan so far is to use a dremel with metal cutting disks and cut a hole in the outside of the fridge only taking off the outside metal, after that I can root around inside with a screwdriver and find the cooling lines, and either go around them or move them out of the way. I figure the cooling lines are going to be on the inside against the plastic, then insulation, and then the metal exterior so it's safest to start on the outside. I will probably need to cover all my mess with a nice looking stained board or something since I'll be making a mess of the hole.

I dunno - I'm pretty happy with mine mounted on the top! :D

I'm glad you posted that. I now see the giant post about making yours that I will have to read through. Since I don't need anymore room in mine, it just doesn't make sense to me to add the collar. Plus, with my skills if I added the collar it would look terrible, and it seems like it would be easy to add something on top and make it look decent and be functional.

Nope - the whole thing is attached to the lid. I just open it like before. Of course, the springs in the hinges can't hold that load, so I prop it open with a piece of wood. I can easily load and unload kegs. Lifting the whole thing off would suck - it weighs a LOT.

But, you also have to move it out from the wall, then back again correct? It's nice, but much more work than it seems like most people would want to put into it.

If you can find one of the holes they make in the outer shell to inject all the insulation foam,... I found one behind the hinge. It was covered by a white sticker.

Ah yes, I just found mine near the hinge, hidden behind the pocket holding the schematic..!

How do you "treat' the hole then? I poked in a small blunt screwdriver, and presumably ran slowly all the way to the inner wall. What to do next?

(I do not have Ranco probe yet, just preparing...)

I dunno - I'm pretty happy with mine mounted on the top! :D

FirstPint.jpg

Your Keezer in the picture in the post is awesome. I would like to replicate it. Do you have a materials list? Plans?

Also, Where did you get your independent regulators?? Need to order them.

Finally... If I were to re-create your manifold, how did you build it?

Lots of questions, really would appreciate the help!!

Thanks,

Shane

Your Keezer in the picture in the post is awesome. I would like to replicate it. Do you have a materials list? Plans?

Also, Where did you get your independent regulators?? Need to order them.

Finally... If I were to re-create your manifold, how did you build it?

Lots of questions, really would appreciate the help!!

Thanks,

Shane
you can follow his build at this link

So, this wont work for every fridge or freezer, but here's an alternative way to "drill" through one. Instead of using a drill bit on a drill, I've used a drill bit (I happen to have a very long one, which helps) and gotten it red hot with a blow torch. I then passed it through the side of my stand up freezer- worked perfectly. Obviously, this only works if the wall is plastic. On my chest freezer the walls are metal so obviously that wont work. With the plastic walls though, the hot bit goes right through the plastic and if you happen to his a metal tube with Freon in it, no problem. Just back out and try another spot.

Back