Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so many good ones named here, its really hard to pick just one. I like ALL of PF. I've seen PF in concert twice and Roger Waters in concert twice and they were all awesome!! I like Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, DSOTM, Final Cut, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Animals, ...and the list goes on and on...

Has anyone checked out Pink Floyd's newest CD (The Endless River) released last November? It is pretty much all previously unreleased stuff from the Division Bell recording sessions and a tribute to the late Rick Wright but it is still "Pink Floyd" and a must for your collection.

Have you heard David Gilmour's newest single, "Rattle That Lock", from his upcoming CD to be released in August? (Click Here) I'm not a big fan but I only listened to it once. I would love to catch one of David's shows but they are all too much of a drive for me and the price is too much. I have a few of Gilmour's solo albums and while there is some good stuff there, I don't feel his solo stuff is as good as Waters's solo stuff.

Anyone heard Snowy White's Animals guitar solo from "Pigs On The Wing" that wasn't on the album? It's worth a listen (HERE). Its on the CD "Goldtop". I have a lot of Snowy Whites CD's and he is pretty good too. He played with Floyd and Thin Lizzy and tours with Roger Waters.

Roger Water's solo stuff is pretty much all good. I love Radio K.A.O.S, The Hitchiker's Guide (with the uncensored album cover of course), "Fu*k it then, take the kids back to town, guess I'll see you around..." Eric Clapton does some good guitars on this album.

Amused To Death is AWESOME!!!...... "and the piano lid comes down and breaks his Fu*king fingers...its a miracle"

"And when they found our shadows
Grouped 'round the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death"

What an AWESOME CD with so much imagery and so relevant to modern times. Roger Waters is a lyrical genius (I don't necessarily agree with some of his political musings of late). Jeff Beck is great on guitars on this CD.

It is hard to find nowadays but if you can find a copy of La Vallée you should watch it. The soundtrack is awesome ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
See I like both - probably more Gilmour than Waters though. I loved the Division Bell, and Momentary Lapse of Reason and I find that Gilmour's 'On An Island' takes me back to Meddle, which was a stellar album.

Water's voice and Gilmour's guitar work were superb, coupled with Syd Barrett's creativity, and Mason and Wright on drums and keyboard.

I have not cared much for the new single 'Rattle that Lock' either, but I am hoping he plays some classic Floyd stuff, along with some tracks from 'On an Island'.

This concert box set 'Live from Gdansk' is superb. I love the way that guy can wring the notes out of a guitar. He makes it look so easy, even at his age! He even plays the slide guitar quite a bit, and even the sax (who knew?)

I just seem to have an appreciation for all things Floyd. I like most of Water's solo stuff, but only more recent Gilmour stuff.

I listened to the Endless River and was a bit disappointed personally.

Anyone know what the Endless River references are about? In the song High Hope there is a line that refers to 'the Endless River'

See I like both - probably more Gilmour than Waters though. I loved the Division Bell, and Momentary Lapse of Reason and I find that Gilmour's 'On An Island' takes me back to Meddle, which was a stellar album.

Water's voice and Gilmour's guitar work were superb, coupled with Syd Barrett's creativity, and Mason and Wright on drums and keyboard.

I have not cared much for the new single 'Rattle that Lock' either, but I am hoping he plays some classic Floyd stuff, along with some tracks from 'On an Island'.

This concert box set 'Live from Gdansk' is superb. I love the way that guy can wring the notes out of a guitar. He makes it look so easy, even at his age! He even plays the slide guitar quite a bit, and even the sax (who knew?)

I just seem to have an appreciation for all things Floyd. I like most of Water's solo stuff, but only more recent Gilmour stuff.

Anyone know what the Endless River references are about? In the song High Hope there is a line that refers to 'the Endless River'

Wild guess might be a reference to the river in Herman Hess's Siddhartha. Siddhartha the Buddhist ends up on the river, and he sees the endless stream of life as he looks up and down it. I've read it twice, once recently.

I don't have this new music, but I'm looking at the song titles of the "deluxe edition" (on Wiki) and one of the titles is Nervana. Siddhartha achieves Nirvana at the end of the book.

Anybody buying this :)

[...]Has anyone checked out Pink Floyd's newest CD (The Endless River) released last November? [...]

Of course. I preordered it and got it promptly when it dropped.
It's in my end-to-end PF playlist - which, coincidently, I listened to today.

Have you heard David Gilmour's newest single, "Rattle That Lock", from his upcoming CD to be released in August? (Click Here)

I like it. Already pre-ordered the Blu-ray album version...

Cheers!

I prefer Gilmour's older solo stuff like 'There's No Way Out Of Here'. I agree 'On an Island' was pretty good and I also have the 'Live From Gdansk' which is good. Yeah Gilmour makes it look so easy!! Wish I could get a year's worth of guitar lessons from him ;-) I bought a similar Fender Strat to Gilmour's (not the Gilmour edition...too much $$ for a beginner) and quickly found out it is NOT anywhere near as easy as Gilmour makes it look...

I didn't like 'Endless River' after the first listen but I kept listening to it and after a few times through I began to cue in on parts of it that I like (and I think were clearly part of The Division Bell but were removed). I have had a few PF albums do me this way like 'Animals' and 'Atom Heart Mother' I didn't like the first time I heard them.

I prefer Gilmour's older solo stuff like 'There's No Way Out Of Here'. I agree 'On an Island' was pretty good and I also have the 'Live From Gdansk' which is good. Yeah Gilmour makes it look so easy!! Wish I could get a year's worth of guitar lessons from him ;-) I bought a similar Fender Strat to Gilmour's (not the Gilmour edition...too much $$ for a beginner) and quickly found out it is NOT anywhere near as easy as Gilmour makes it look...

I didn't like 'Endless River' after the first listen but I kept listening to it and after a few times through I began to cue in on parts of it that I like (and I think were clearly part of The Division Bell but were removed). I have had a few PF albums do me this way like 'Animals' and 'Atom Heart Mother' I didn't like the first time I heard them.

Funny, I listened through Endless River yesterday and this morning Division Bell and I totally agree.

Just finished Momentary Lapse. Tomorrow I'll probably put on The Wall. PF is my work soundtrack this week.

Anyone heard Snowy White's Animals guitar solo from "Pigs On The Wing" that wasn't on the album? It's worth a listen (HERE). Its on the CD "Goldtop". I have a lot of Snowy Whites CD's and he is pretty good too. He played with Floyd and Thin Lizzy and tours with Roger Waters.

It would be my assumption, that due to the nature of 8 track design, and that the necessity of having the albums entirety divided into four segments of equal length time wise, led to this augmented version. It sounds like it was added later, and not during the original studio session. I dont know, just guessing. It doesn't sound right, though. If PF wanted a guitar solo in there, why no just have David whip something up? Also, if Floyd wanted it there it would be on the album.

It would be my assumption, that due to the nature of 8 track design, and that the necessity of having the albums entirety divided into four segments of equal length time wise, led to this augmented version. It sounds like it was added later, and not during the original studio session. I dont know, just guessing. It doesn't sound right, though. If PF wanted a guitar solo in there, why no just have David whip something up? Also, if Floyd wanted it there it would be on the album.

I did some reading and it turns out the guitar solo by Snowy White was actually on the 8-track release of the album. I don't have an 8-track player anymore or an 8-track copy of animals though to verify.

I just listened to Gilmour's first solo album today. It brought me back. I had purchased it new on vinyl in '78, and it was a great gap-filler between Animals and The Wall. Gilmour's fluid guitar work has no peer.

I did some reading and it turns out the guitar solo by Snowy White was actually on the 8-track release of the album. I don't have an 8-track player anymore or an 8-track copy of animals though to verify.

I'm not disputing that it was on the 8 track version, I only meant that if PF wanted it on the album, and it was an essential part of the song, that if it was intended to be there and the song would be diminished with out it, it would be on the album. PF never shied away from making the music they wanted, regardless of whether or not it fit on a 45.
Look at Echos, or Dogs, or anything on the studio Umaguma disc. If you were going to trim something, why not there?

I dont know, maybe they did.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

I'm not disputing that it was on the 8 track version, I only meant that if PF wanted it on the album, and it was an essential part of the song, that if it was intended to be there and the song would be diminished with out it, it would be on the album. PF never shied away from making the music they wanted, regardless of whether or not it fit on a 45.
Look at Echos, or Dogs, or anything on the studio Umaguma disc. If you were going to trim something, why not there?

I dont know, maybe they did.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Easy answer - the early years weren't so much about cohesiveness of an album. Animals, The Wall, DSoTM, The Final Cut - those were 'themed' albums in my opinion. Ummagumma was a collection of Floyd music that was pretty much out there, and completely random.

I would imagine when they did cut tracks, it was from those albums because it would disrupt the flow of the album.

Imagine if 'Seamus' popped up right in the middle of The Final Cut. It would make everyone stop and say 'WTF!'. Totally not what they were going for.

That said - I really like Ummagumma - Careful with that Axe, Eugene was almost as awesome as Set the Controls... Truly trippy stuff...

Easy answer - the early years weren't so much about cohesiveness of an album. Animals, The Wall, DSoTM, The Final Cut - those were 'themed' albums in my opinion. Ummagumma was a collection of Floyd music that was pretty much out there, and completely random.

I would imagine when they did cut tracks, it was from those albums because it would disrupt the flow of the album.

So then, this would support my theory, that the White solo on the 8 track version was added sometime after the studio recording, to evenly distridute out the material into four, somewhat equal segments. Dogs, Sheep and Pigs were all over ten minutes with Dogs a whopping 17. The two Pigs on the wings combined would be under three minutes, with 14 minutes of dead space, hence the need for added material, And only on the 8 track. If, at the time of the recording, the band knew they needed more material in the form of a guitar solo, then Gilmore could have worked in an easy 10 minutes of free form jamming without a second thought. The album, with only two sides, and each side limited only by capacity, one side could be significantly shorter than the other and we be none the wiser. The side would end, and you would flip it over. Only 8 tracks have the need to balance four segments. Therefore the album they recorded was the album they wanted, and only later, when the 8 track bean counters deliberated the possibility of splitting a song up to fit the format (which they did on the cassette tape version), the decision was made to shop out a quick solo, complete the tape and call it good.

Does my theory now hold water?

Or have I over thought this?

I was in Guitar Center yesterday (bought my wife a digital piano for her b-day) and was looking through albums because I didn't realize they even still sold them. They had a newer release of 'The Wall' with a special poster and an MP3 download for $50. They had 'Endless River' for $30 and 'The Final Cut' for $30, both with MP3 downloads. I was surprised to see the albums for sale but the prices seem astronomical...

I truly miss albums, and the sound produced from them. CDs seem more 'sterile' and 'flat' than those deeper sounds that come from vinyl. I cannot think of anything that sounded better than that first pass of a needle over a new vinyl record.

I can see why ppl pay so much. The music just sounds 'richer'...

I'm not surprised by vinyl prices in 2015. Vinyl production is the definition of a boutique industry - there aren't that many pressers left, and a (critical) material is produced by only two companies in the world - pretty much one-man-bands each - and one of those was having some issues earlier this year iirc.

Of course, rarity inspires marketing. I was reading an article that folks are scarfing up never-played LPs - to never play them - and now constitute the majority of sales...

Cheers!

[edit] I feel blessed to not be burdened by Golden Ears...

Ok, leave anything to do with politics out of this, I think this is a great (if utterly doomed) campaign platform plank right here...

https://www.yahoo.com/music/presidential-candidate-john-kasich-promises-224200895.html

Cheers! :D

Roger Waters is great. I was listening to his excellent album Amused to Death last week. This song and its lyrics caught my ear. Seems apropos when you consider certain political possibilities that we won't discuss in this thread. If you're a PF fan and haven't listened to this album (is that possible :) ), give it a go.

Last edited:
Roger Waters is great. I was listening to his excellent album Amused to Death last week. This song and its lyrics caught my ear. Seems apropos when you consider certain political possibilities that we won't discuss in this thread. If you're a PF fan and haven't listened to this album (is that possible :) ), give it a go.

Probably my favorite cut off that album, wasn't a commercially successful album but I thoroughly enjoy it.
Pros and cons is still my favorite solo,

I even have the nudie cover;)
Hopefully seeing Gilmore in April, my friend that I get tickets through is sketchy at times but what do you want for free:D

True confession: since it came out, I've started every single work day with Gilmore's Rattle That Lock. I follow that with Water's In The Flesh Live (both discs), then The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking, then Radio K.A.O.S, then The Flickering Flame, then PF's The Endless River. If I'm still working I'll run some Arcade Fire but inevitably will finish a long day with my epic PF playlist...

I'm clearly obsessed, but I like what I like, and besides, anything else I've heard on the radio in the last twenty years is crap...

Cheers! ;)

True confession: since it came out, I've started every single work day with Gilmore's Rattle That Lock. I follow that with Water's In The Flesh Live (both discs), then The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking, then Radio K.A.O.S, then The Flickering Flame, then PF's The Endless River. If I'm still working I'll run some Arcade Fire but inevitably will finish a long day with my epic PF playlist...

I'm clearly obsessed, but I like what I like, and besides, anything else I've heard on the radio in the last twenty years is crap...

Cheers! ;)

I knew there was something I like about you:p

:mug:

Just so it doesn't seem like the deepest rut in music history, the design work I do greatly benefits from me being in what I suppose is some form of trance state, and the PF boys have always gotten me there.

The down side is the house could be on fire and I'd likely just keeping humming along...

Cheers! ;)

Probably my favorite cut off that album, wasn't a commercially successful album but I thoroughly enjoy it.
Pros and cons is still my favorite solo,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niNXy9BT6VQ
I even have the nudie cover;)
Hopefully seeing Gilmore in April, my friend that I get tickets through is sketchy at times but what do you want for free:D

Liked, just for the album cover!

Seriously, though, I don't know why I've never investigated any of the solo albums from the PF guys. I may have to scrub the webs today and load up the phone...

SWMBO took me to see the Pink Floyd Laser spectacular for my exmas present. What a blast.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454598201.270835.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454598213.408074.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454598235.141161.jpg

First half was DSotM from beginning to end, and was awesome. Second half was a random sampling of the rest of their work, and was a bit more hit and miss for me, but still good. Wish you were here, part of Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick In the Wall Part II, part of Echoes, On the Turning Away, One Slip, a bunch more from the Wall.

Liked, just for the album cover!

Seriously, though, I don't know why I've never investigated any of the solo albums from the PF guys. I may have to scrub the webs today and load up the phone...

The Americanized cover have that fine booty covered up, I had to look around to fine an uncensored copy.
Clapton is playing lead guitar , David Sanborn on sax, good stuff.

I have always loved "Great Gig in the Sky". I learned in the documentary that Roger Waters explained that he wanted a vocal that would emulate the ascension to Heaven. Clare put that vocal track down in ONE take!!! Amazing!!!!

I have always loved "Great Gig in the Sky". I learned in the documentary that Roger Waters explained that he wanted a vocal that would emulate the ascension to Heaven. Clare put that vocal track down in ONE take!!! Amazing!!!!

She actually did several takes, but they used the first one. There's a documentary on youtube (I think that's where I saw it) where she discusses this.

I really love....

Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Time
Childhood's End
Shine On

...and pretty much everything else, except maybe Umma Gumma, except I do love Careful w/ That Axe, Eugene...........

Shine on!

Back