Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough to name a favorite Floyd song, there's just so many. But one of my favorites has been Shine on You Crazy Diamond, an obvious nod to Syd Barrett. It's been said that the song was influenced to some degree by Boz Scaggs' 1969 version of the the bluesy Loan Me a Dime, (featuring Duane Allman on guitar). Personally I'm not sure I'd go that far, although I do hear some similarities.

saw the divison bell tour in 94 in Rotterdam. Took a girl who had never really heard of them... she cried on/off thru the whole show. she was blown away! good times... if you haven't found them already, these guys: The Australian Pink Floyd Show, Celebrating Pink Floyd Since 1988 | Aussie Floyd | TAPFS | The World's Biggest Pink Floyd Tribute Act and these guys: Brit Floyd | The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Tribute Show are both fantastic. put on really good shows!

that's so cool, I was there too! I went there with my dad and a friend of mine and his dad!(we were both 15/16 at the time)

saw the divison bell tour in 94 in Rotterdam. Took a girl who had never really heard of them... she cried on/off thru the whole show. she was blown away! good times... if you haven't found them already, these guys: The Australian Pink Floyd Show, Celebrating Pink Floyd Since 1988 | Aussie Floyd | TAPFS | The World's Biggest Pink Floyd Tribute Act and these guys: Brit Floyd | The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Tribute Show are both fantastic. put on really good shows!
I've seen |Brit and Aussie Floyd shows - and they're good, but my complaint is that they are note-for-note like the albums. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I personally like when a band will extend out a bit. There's one that I like a lot, I;ve seen them a ton of times, The Machine - Pink Floyd Tribute. I like these guys because they will stretch out, and go into jams like PF did early on. They aren't afraid to experiment - playing with orchestras or all-acoustic shows.
They tend to play mostly east coast of the US, though.
Brit Floyd has a show this fall nearby, thanks, I think I will get tickets! Also going to check out The Machine, multiple venues in reach. I have tickets for Waters but they aren't until next August (2022)!

Okay, I'm another long time Floyd fan, and just saw this thread brought back from the deeps. Nobody mentioned the MORE soundtrack. One of my favorite albums. For the hardcore, try Music from "The Body" by Waters and Geesin.

Brit Floyd has a show this fall nearby, thanks, I think I will get tickets! Also going to check out The Machine, multiple venues in reach. I have tickets for Waters but they aren't until next August (2022)!
Highly recommended.
I've got the Machine playing near me as an all-acoustic show (pair of shows) that I'll be going to.

To each his own I guess. I really like the song.

Animals was a concept album. Orwellian overtones (quite literally). Flying Pigs...

And I have been enamoured with the silouette of Battersea Power Station ever since it's release.

Musically the songs are not tops on my list either, but I dig the story Roger was telling...

...and then they wrote The Wall.

Big time PF fan here.

Not saying it's the best album because how do you pick just one album or one song, guitar lick, drum track, etc, but sometimes I have to listen to The Final Cut.

We should have a Pink Floyd home brewing meetup...
The Final Cut left me cold after first hearing it. It took a while to “fungus” on me, but eventually it did and now I absolutely love it.

To each his own I guess. I really like the song.
Agreed. “Dogs” is the shiznit. Amazing guitar work. There’s a Les Claypool version of that out there that is awesome as well.

”And after a while,
you can work on points for style
Like the club tie,
and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile

You have to be trusted
by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to
put
the
knife
in”

Always liked the song 'Welcome To The Machine', so I was all :rock: when the series 'Person Of Interest' used it as the musical backdrop during the climatic scene that ended Season 4.

Big time PF fan here.

Not saying it's the best album because how do you pick just one album or one song, guitar lick, drum track, etc, but sometimes I have to listen to The Final Cut.

We should have a Pink Floyd home brewing meetup...

Agreed, The Final Cut needs to be consumed at once in its entirety. Doesnt make sense otherwise lol

Any thoughts on any of the solo albums? I think my two favorites are David Gilmour's 1978 self-titled album, and Richard Wright's "Wet Dream" also from 1978. I also really like Roger Waters' albums, "Radio KAOS" and "Amused to Death," although not as much as the two I previously mentioned. Never could warm up to "Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking," even though I tried multiple times.

Any thoughts on any of the solo albums? I think my two favorites are David Gilmour's 1978 self-titled album, and Richard Wright's "Wet Dream" also from 1978. I also really like Roger Waters' albums, "Radio KAOS" and "Amused to Death," although not as much as the two I previously mentioned. Never could warm up to "Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking," even though I tried multiple times.

Listen to track #6 "Raise my Rent" from the '78 Gilmour solo...

Its basically an early instrumental for "What do you want from me?" off 1994s Division Bell.

Well, I'm listening to music and thought I'd lay down my first track in the DRAMM thread here....

Echoes, by far. Then possibly Learning to Fly off of the Momentary Lapse of Reason LP. That whole album is fantastic.

Finally, but probably not last, is the Clare Torry vocal on Great Gig in the Sky off DSOTM. Man, that that chick had lungs.
Sorry man, Floyd made albums one song led into another. To appreciate one song you would have to list several.

Animals was a concept album. Orwellian overtones (quite literally). Flying Pigs...

(continued)

Musically the songs are not tops on my list either, but I dig the story Roger was telling...

Interesting I have a contrary opinion about Animals.

IMHO The lyrics are pretty sophomoric and obviously borrowed from Orwell. I always thought it was Waters weakest effort.

Musically, I find it very interesting. The melodies and the music work well each other. The arrangements, the ebb and flows are quite engaging. The barking guitar actually works for me.

Interesting I have a contrary opinion about Animals.

IMHO The lyrics are pretty sophomoric and obviously borrowed from Orwell. I always thought it was Waters weakest effort.

Musically, I find it very interesting. The melodies and the music work well each other. The arrangements, the ebb and flows are quite engaging. The barking guitar actually works for me.

I certainly agree, not Water's greatest effort. The fact that it had so much direct allegory to Animal Farm, sophomoric as it was, connected with me, as that was the age that I first read Animal Farm.

Pink Floyd music, up to Momentary Lapse, were always interesting to me. Past that point it became a Gilmour solo band, which I also rather like very much, but a distinct and different beast than Floyd.

Its the nature of bands over time. Compare the Doobie Brothers first album to the last before they dissolved. You wouldn't know it was the same group. Only one remaining member, and when he quit , they all quit. You could enjoy all their music, but it certainly wasn't the same.
Interestingly enough, their comeback album with the original lineup sounded real close to the first album.

1666161527567.png

I think he's incredibly overrated.
Oh not me!! I think he's highly respected among fans and fellow musicians. Donald Fagen, ever the perfectionist, would certainly never allow anyone but the absolute best anywhere near the recording studio or live on stage with the Dan. I just happen not to like his voice, even though I can acknowledge his talent.

Latest posts

Back