Best non-traditional hops for saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seejayabney

Reaction score
I make a lot of Saisons but most of them use the norm East Kent Golding and Styrian hops. The last one I made I dry hopped with Nugget and it was pretty good. What dual-purpose hops has anyone really enjoyed in a saison (or think they might.) I generally use Wyeast 3711 and some Wyeast 3724 FYI.

I made a saison using Hallertau Blanc recently and the tropical fruit/white wine character really worked well. For American varieties Amarillo can be very good.

A more traditional hop that works great in Saisons is Striselspalter.

Non-traditional ones that I have used with good results are. Neslon Sauvin provides a nice wine like flavor. Sorachi Ace is another good one.

If you are more into citrus the C hops work very well. I have used Citra, Cascade, Amarillo. The citrus flavor seems to go well with a Saison using 3711.

I have never used Sorachi ace before. I saw Boulevard used it as well. I try to purchase all my hops in bulk and on sale so I'll keep an eye out.

Back