Best Lager Yeast to Ferment @ 45 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLoverHere

Reaction score
What is the best strain of lager yeast to ferment on the lower end of the lager temp spectrum? I've got a newly required craigslist beer fridge and the warmest I can make it is 45 degrees. I know this is the extreme low end of the recommended temp as described by the manufacturer, however wondered if anyone else has had good lager results with it fermenting @ 45 degrees and not 50 degrees where I usually lager ferment. I do not want to mess with a thermostat control if I don't have to on my refrigerator. Any ideas is appreciated!

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager is listed on their website with a range of 45-68, I don't have much experience brewing lagers, so I can't tell you first hand

Thanks; it'll either be that or the Danish strain whichever my lhbs has in stock! I prefer ale, but am going to do a 12 gal batch and split with ale yeast in one and a lager in another

I have used 830 several times at 45 degrees without problems. It just takes longer to ferment.

Saflager 34/70 would probably ferment that low. You just have to aerate super well with pure O2 and pitch a lot of yeast. I've gotten vigorous fermentation at 48F with harvested yeast before.

Since you have the fridge already, I'd strongly suggest making yourself a controller outlet box out of an STC-1000 (about $20 on Amazon). You plug your fridge into it, set the temp on the controller, and it will turn power on/off to maintain your desired temp.

If you just do a lager with 2124 at 45*F, you risk having a bunch of diacetyl in it. When it hits about 85% of the way to projected FG, you'll want to bring it up to 61-62*F for a few days for a "diacetyl rest" (unless, of course, you enjoy beer that tastes like movie popcorn butter. ;)). The STC-1000 allows you to easily adjust the temp to whatever you need. You can then also ferment your ales in the low-mid 60's as you should.

Latest posts

Back