Best (inexpensive) Drill for Grain Mill - Harbor Freight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since so many people went with the harbor freight drill above...I was wondering if it had enough oomph to start the mill with grain in it, or if you had to start the mill first, and then add your grain. in some other threads, people with a 1/2hp motor reported that it pooped on starting the mill if grain was already in the hopper.

I fill my hopper to the brim (about 7 pounds or so) and this drill has no problem starting at all.

Target has a $22 corded model that will periodically smoke and threaten to catch fire. Just thought I'd put that out there for anyone who likes to hold electrical appliances that may catch fire.

(It still works. Somehow I'm still using the damn thing after all this time, it just won't break for good.)

My drill came in on Friday. After pancakes for the kids on saturday, and a trip to lowes, I set to work building a mill table and finished late afternoon in time to put a few coates of clear latex based finish (cabot i think) on the top for easy cleanup.

First brew day with it this weekend. I will post back with details on how it performs.

EDIT: the pictures were originally upside down, which gives context for the next two posts that follow.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

I have some terrible news for you: You built it all upside-down! All the grain's going to fall out that way...

I think you are mistaken. it is a magic table, as evidenced by my beer not pouring out.
I dunno what's up (pun intended). they are fine on my computer and phone. I'll fix it after work.

it is the same drill as your link. The D handle is removable. The side grip can be installed on either side or the top. The holes accept an M10x1.5 bolt. At first, the shaft and the chuck were not exactly alligned, and the drill would wobble. I installed an M10 washer between the drill and the MDF and this kept the wobble to a minimum.

brew day is this saturday. The hopper should add an extra 15+lbs, so altogether the table should hold 22+ lbs. I will post back after I adjust the rpm with lbs/min., startup power, etc.

I expect, based on other threads, that I will be upgrading my mill in the next 5 years. When I do, I will offset the drill and use a belt to drive the mill in order to eliminate any uneccessary stress on the mill from not having the axel exactly aligned.

Do you mind posting a pick of this set-up?

Bo

I have a low speed angle drill. Its RPM is around 350 and works great. The handle was easy to thread a bolt and mount it to the plywood base. Looked at buying a motor and gear reducer, but the drill saved me money. I bought it for $35. I would look at their 2 speed angle drill. It might be more money, but the motor on low speed would be perfect. The drill would be easy to mount. I hate holding the drill when I'm doing large grain bills. I've actually had decent luck with cheaper HF tools.

I stumbled upon this thread and bought this the 1/2" Heavy Duty Low Speed Drill from harborfreight, item 93632, the blue one with the extra handle. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

You can set the RPM nice and low and lock it in. We usually use just under 100lbs of grain per brew day, this drill had no problem and didn't heat up at all. I'd highly recommend it.

I have this drill on my Barley Crusher. It is my second one. First one died for no apparent reason. Probably lasted 2 years at 800 lbs per year. When the first one died I was angry and shopped around for something better. Bought a second one and it is running fine...

Latest posts

Back