Best hop combination with Cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have Fresh Cascade hops coming off my plants, and would like to know what does well in combination with it

I only have a few plants, and have been harvesting them periodically as the flowers/hops are ready. So far I have done 2 Harvest brews:

- 6 ozs (dry) Cascade & Chinook Homegrown hops, with additional Cascade and Simcoe for the dry hop, PacMan yeast - Drinking now and tastes pretty good.

- 6 ozs (dry) Cascade & Centennial Homegrown hops, with Amarillo at flame out and dry hop, WLP644 (Trois yeast) - still in the fermenter.

Looks like I picked about another 6 ozs (dry) Cascade today, and have a lot more on the vine to be picked in a few weeks (maybe 8 ozs dry), along with a small amount of Chinook and Centennial.

Would like to know what you would recommend combining with the Cascade hops. I have a ton of hops in the freezer (well, maybe 30 lbs); most of the major hops (but sadly lacking Mosiac).

Cascade is really wonderful on its own. It pairs well with any C-hop, especially Chinook and Centennial.

I have used it on its own and with Chinook and Simcoe with some reasonable degree of success, also Amarillo in a 60min IPA.

100% Cascade would be how I roll, but to second others, any other C style hop would be a safe bet.

Or you could do something spicier, like magnum or northern brewer, especially in a porter.

Going to go with 50/50 mix, homegrown Cascade with El Dorado. Anyone have any experience with this combination? This is my first use of El Dorado.

Planning a simple Pale Ale:

6.5 gallons, 1.055, 50 IBUs

11 lbs 2-Row
1 lb C-40
0.5 ozs El Dorado FWH
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 15
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 10
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 5
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 0, added at 175, steeped for 30 mins
1.0 ozs Eldorado Dry Hop

Chico Yeast

Brewing Tomorrow

Going to go with 50/50 mix, homegrown Cascade with El Dorado. Anyone have any experience with this combination? This is my first use of El Dorado.

Planning a simple Pale Ale:

6.5 gallons, 1.055, 50 IBUs

11 lbs 2-Row
1 lb C-40
0.5 ozs El Dorado FWH
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 15
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 10
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 5
2.0 ozs Cascade/Eldorado mix @ 0, added at 175, steeped for 30 mins
1.0 ozs Eldorado Dry Hop

Brewing Tomorrow

I made a 4.3% session IPA using Cascade, Crystal and El Dorado hops and Omega Hothead Ale yeast. Very deep, pleasent citrus notes with a bit of candy like aromas from El Dorado I assume.

Very nice.

I use cascade/chinook/Columbus for APAs and IPAs. Columbus or chinook for bittering and all three as late additions and dry hopping. Equal parts of chinook and Columbus and twice that for cascade.

Cascade and Citra work well together.

Back