Best high end vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
I'm planning a new (and hopefully final) brewery build. I have permission from SWMBO that it can be in plain sight in a finished basement. I'm thinking a nice little corner with polished concrete, stainless sink, etc...

Now, I brew electric on a brutus style system, 3 gallon batches. For a lot of reasons, 3 gallons is a great size. Unfortunately, it only produces 3 gallons of beer, which sucks.

New stand will be electric, and look/function a lot like a kal clone, except with some cooling / whirlpooling /filtering changes. I'm not 100% sold on the boilermakers though. I've been drooling over Stout Tanks lately.

As jerky as this sounds, money really isn't an issue. We are comfortable, and brewing is my hobby (no fixing up cars, fishing boats, etc...) so I don't mind investing in this hobby. I also don't mind investing in the asthetics factor.

So, here's my constraints. All electric, HERMS, 5 and 10g batches (probably more 5 than 10, but who knows). I'd like to have all 3 vessels matching, and I dig the polished stainless look.

Thoughts on Blichmann vs Stout Tanks? Any other 'bling' brand I'm missing? How about vessel size? Like I said, I anticipate more 5g (so, 5.5 in final boil volume) than 10g (11 in FBV) batches but that is hard to forecast.

Thanks in advance

I have a Stout, 20 gal. gas-fired....I really like it. I have the sightglass, tangential port, thermowell, and drain valve. I like that it comes with all valves and Tri-Clover clamps included...no guessing.

I have a 10 gallon Blichmann and really like it. The calibrated sight glass is probably the best, most useful part. My only gripes are that they consider it normal for there to be scratches on the outside of a new kettle. My first had a real deep gouge that I was not willing to accept. The replacement has some minor scratches and imperfections on the exterior and on the lid, but are the kind that are going to show up with use anyway. I'd also prefer that the handles weren't simply spot welded on. I definitely adhere to the warning against carrying it while full.

That said, if I had the money, I'd buy two more, their stand, tower of power, and two more of their burners in a second!

I've heard tri-clovers are tricky on the hot side, as they take more effort than quick disconnects. I use cam locks, and haven't ever used tri-clamps. Are the handles on the stout tanks rugged? What was the lead time on the delivery?

Thanks, I'm getting really antsy to buy something shiny

You might also look into Glacier Tanks. I have Boilermakers and love them. Mine did not have any scratches as previously mentioned.

I've heard tri-clovers are tricky on the hot side, as they take more effort than quick disconnects. I use cam locks, and haven't ever used tri-clamps. Are the handles on the stout tanks rugged? What was the lead time on the delivery?

Thanks, I'm getting really antsy to buy something shiny

For me there was definitely a bit of a learning curve when I started using tri clamps, but I believe they are the best option. Being able to break everything down completely for cleaning/storage/sanitation is worth the extra cost and whatever time it takes you to get comfortable with them, in my opinion.

Back