Best Head Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
I know, many will reply with 'Her name was Laura, two years ago, behind the theater.... . "

But seriously, I just finished watching that Thirsty Traveler show where the dude went to Prague and the Pilsner from the tap had such a wonderful, creamy head.

My first lager is a few weeks away from bottling, and I want to know what I can do to ensure the best possible head. Creamy, silky smooth, like malty whipped cream..... I have done some searches and found suggestions like the addition of oats or rice hulls at the boil; not an option at this point. Others say use a bit more corn sugar and measure and add per bottle instead of boiling and mixing in the bottling bucket.

Really, what can I do now, in the secondary (at 40 degrees) or at bottling time to have the best chance for great head?

I dated a jewish girl in college... I am glad that stereotype proved to be true.

P.S. What hops did you use?

Please, can we bring this back on track? :mug:

My hop additions:
1 oz Argentine Cascade @60
.5 oz Magnum @40
1 oz Hallertalu @20

How do hops affect the quality of the head?

In the car... let me tell you...

Ok, Ok... hops are supposed to help with lacing, which is a sign of good head retention...

In the boil...

In the mash, you mean?

Slightly higher carbonation than usual with proper pouring helps. Pour a big, fat head into the glass first, let it rest a bit, then finish pouring the beer once it's settled some. This won't make up for a badly conceived recipe, but it does help a bit.

Best thing I did for my head retention was marry her.
(seriously Space, you made it to easy :D )

If it fits in your grain bill, I think you can add something up to about 10% of your grain in wheat to aid in the head without affecting your final taste profile.

In the boil...

Right, but that is not an option now, if you look at my original post:

"what can I do now, in the secondary (at 40 degrees) or at bottling time to have the best chance for great head?"

The taste of the samples so far, the clairity, the ABV, are all coming together to make this the best beer brewed to date; I just want to do everything I can to get the best head out of it as welll. :mug:

Is it bad that the first thing through my head was beer foam?

Yes.

As to the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. A well made beer will have a fair amount of head regardless of what you do.

If you want your whipped cream head, you will have to go back to the drawing board, and probably serve on nitro.

Once your beer is ready, there is not a whole lot you can do to "increase" the head, but you can maximize its head potential by minding your due dilligence in your procedure. Make sure your Carb sugar measurments are correct and most important;y make sure your bottles are clean and free of waxy residues. After that, make sure the glass you are pouring in is also clean and free of waxy residue.

If the head still sucks, better luck next time! Cheers!

I think at this point their is little you can do now that it is in the secondary unless you want to boil up a 1/2-1 gallon batch and blend them together. You could highly carb your beer or use NO2 but it is not the same. At this point I think you should just focus on quantity. Once she is properly prepped you shouldn't have a problem with the head.

You, sir, have a serious problem.

+10 to that

Not sure if this is the same, but why couldn't you just get one of those Creamer faucets? The Perlick 575ss I believe. Aren't they used to ensure perfect head?

Edit: Just realized I made an assumption that you were kegging. Kegs have been on my mind :) I am designing my keezer right now. Anyhow if you are kegging maybe this is an option!

What was the recipe? Maybe you don't have to worry about it.
Ever since I started doing full boils she gives incredible head:)

Yep I married her too. Your doing something wrong if that didn't work out for ya...

Oh yeah the beer. So many factors...most of which are recipe and process.

Back