Best Half-time show ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They did suck... man, townshed is always giving daltry crap for missing notes over the last 5 years or so, he screwed up more times on the guitar and with his vocals then ever. I hate to see old rockers trying to scream their old tunes. At least do the smart musical thing and lower the key down, geeze.

That said, I'm glad it wasn't lady ga ga...

The Who did rock, I think I'll go put on Who's Next and remind myself of that... then Quadraphenia ...

I thought the light show was the best part of the halftime show...good songs, but poor performance, IMO.

I was wincing while they were trying to hit the notes.

(Maybe their 7th 'farewell tour' should have been just that)

I thought that they did a good job for their age. They were rockin' before I was BORN.

The light show was really nice yeah... It's funny the banner above the thread because of the google contextual advertising is a banner of the Who when they were young... Young Man... ain't got nothing in the world these days....

Remember, w/out Keith and John we only have 1/2 The Who anyway.

The best Super Bowl Halftime ever was that year they had the Blues Brothers, ZZ Top, James Brown, and the Rockettes.

They didn't sound terrible for their age and being live. But they looked like they might keel over at any time! They should tone it down some and mellow out. They Who can do that and still be valid.

the halftime show was horrible. i'm 40 and even those guys were too much of an oldies act for me.

I LOVE The Who, grew up dubbing their tapes from my older brother's vinyl, argue endlessly with my wife why they were such a much, much better band that the Beatles, still toss in a greatest hits CD in the car all the time....

But there's only one Super Bowl halftime show that I ever feel compelled to revisit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you people taht are saying it was great serious? Do you know anything about music or were your ears full of homebrew? If so, why were you putting homebrew in your ears...beer goes in the mouth hole.

Daltry can't sing anymore (screaming lyrics doesn't count as singling) and was constantly out of breath. Pete screwed up the background signing by signing things out of order in the song and don't get me started on his guitar "playing"...you call that a guitar solo, Pete?!?!?! Really?!?!?!

The only one that could actually play was the kid on drums. That halftime performance was laughable and slightly sad :(

The thing that put the whole show into perspective for me: Some of the songs they sang last night were current releases when I played them as brand new songs on college radio back in '72 and '73.

Am I really that old?:confused:

The best Super Bowl Halftime ever was that year they had the Blues Brothers, ZZ Top, James Brown, and the Rockettes.

Yep, that was a good one. I also like the year they had Aerosmith, despite them sharing the stage with Britney Spears, et al.

The best halftime show ever was when some other channel had the victoria secret half time show.

If you want a good concert, pay for one and go to a concert.

Football half-time shows are for marching bands and trash-talking sportscasters.

I ate wings and racked my IPA...

The stage was cool, the pyrotechnics were alright, but the performance was uninspired. Could CBS have just been doing this on the cheap since they use The Who for all incarnations of CSI? Thought the SNL performance of Them Crooked Vultures the night before was more entertaining.

Surprised and relieved it wasn't Lil Wayne doing a "pre-jail" show though.

It was a waste of my time. Lights were great! (GUESS WHY???)
should've dropped the key of the songs by a third, so they could hit the notes (GUESS *WHO*??)

Between The Who this year and Springsteen last year, ol' Bruce has my vote.

This years was painful to watch, like some have already said.

I'd like to see them get Buffet for a Super Bowl. Ya, he's a geezer, too, but he still tours every year and doesn't look like he's about to keel over. But they'll never get him- not mainstream enough.

Haha, in the keeling over section, maybe Bob Dylan will play next years :)

Yeah, I'd like to see Buffet too

I'm a huge Who fan (there's a 4'x2' version of the black Maximum R&B poster above the TV on the wall, much to the chagrin of the SWMBO), but after about 1976 or so, and especially after Keith Moon died in 1982, they haven't been good. They'll never be able to play like they did playing "My Generation" at the Live at Leeds concert, or "Summertime Blues" at Woodstock, or "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "Bargain" off of Who's Next, and that sucks. Time to hang it up, guys.

John Entwistle dying, too. Gotta give props to the bass player. Was watching a Who documentary a few months ago, they talked about how some of their reunions in recent years were in part because Entwistle was always in major financial trouble.

I guess I don't blame the Who for going on... I mean, what else are they going to do? Yeah, it's just staring mortality in the face, and I'm not really happy to do that!

I suppose the best artists are able to evolve over time, so they aren't trying to sing the same songs when they're 65 as they sang in their 20s. There aren't too many who can do that, though.

Back