Best freezer/fridge to make into kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I currently have a converted fridge/freezer made into a kegerator in my basement near my brew area. Still use the freezer. It's old, but works perfectly. I recently replaced all lines and fittings with Eva barrier tubing and duo tite stuff. Very happy with it. 650ss (I think) flow control perlicks.
My wife jokingly suggested how nice it would be to have draft beer upstairs so I was just considering/googling options.
I want it to look nice in my dining room so I was looking at premade kegerators and realized that I don't need or want the lines, fittings, or faucets.
I could not find one "bare" where it was basically just a fridge and tower.
Is my only real to make a keezer?
What have you guys come up with?

Are there any penetrations in the ground floor structure for ductwork, piping, etc. near where the fridge is in the basement or where the taps would be upstairs? Is this floor structure wood or concrete? If there are existing penetrations, or a wood structure, the retrofit would be pretty straightforward, and IMHO, well worth the effort.

PVC pipe inside the walls, or any floor penetration inside a cabinet Lots of options depending on your situation. Biggest issue is keeping the beer lines cold all the time since they will be outside the keezer and have a good amount of volume inside of them. Will end up with warm foam the first pour. Easiest way to do this is keep a resivoir of water inside the keezer with a pump that runs continuously and feeds a copper tube that runs up and back down the stretch of tubing to the taps. Wrap the whole thing in insulation and it should help keep the lines cold

Best fridge or freezer for a kegerator?

It all depends on what your goal is. Strict homebrew kegs, sanke kegs or a combo of each.

Keeping the keezer in the basement and running lines upstairs is a rabbit hole in my opinion and I would stay away from that.

You don't need a lot of skills to make something that will blend in with your other furnishings.

I just got an Insignia 7 CF chest freezer at Best Buy for around $200. The inside dimensions are 16.5" W x 19.5" L and appears to be able to hold a 1/2 barrel keg if that is your goal. I have had several other types of freezers from 5CF to 14CF. They all work, you just have to decide how many kegs you want to store in it. Search this site for other threads that detail how many corny kegs fit in different sized keezers.

My current keezer holds 5 corny kegs and it can be difficult keeping all taps active. Start small you can always sell it and build a bigger better one later.

I have gotten many great ideas from this site. I usually have more time in research than in building things.
Good luck

Back