Best extract kit modification you ever made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I've done extract, but I did 6 or 7 when I was starting. My mod was to not use the bag of pre-crushed specialty grains that was who-knows-how-old. I bought the same grains fresh and had them crushed right there. Went home and brewed the next day. It was a small added expense--only a few more bucks.

What’s the best modification to an extract kit that you ever made?

The first - and last -extract kit I got was a Mr. Beer kit right off the shelf for Christmas.
It was the pre-hopped American lager recipe. I used US-05 because there was no telling how old the yeast packet might've been. Some extra honey and Cascade hops were added to boost the IBU's and ABV level. It ended up being more like a slightly hoppy pale ale, not much foam but great carbonation.

What’s the best modification to an extract kit that you ever made?

The best 'process' is pretty much what these guys said over here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/dry-stout-extract-kit-tips-on-how-to-modify.644768/

Splitting batches (going into the fermenter) and blending beer (at various points after fermentation is complete) can also be a low risk way to modify kits. Tinctures, added to the glass or just before bottling, can be a good way to experiment with flavors.

I added 1lb of dme & 3.5 lbs of frz dark cherries & 1 small can of Oregon cherries to a NB American Wheat kit, in the secondary. Let it sit for 2 weeks & it turned out incredible.

I did a Kolsch and added 6 lbs of raspberry and 3.5 lbs of blackberries.

Oooo tough choice.

Friends favourites happen to be either my:

Rasberry blonde (which is a coopers blond ale with 500g pilsner DME and 250 sugar along with 1 bottle simply rasberry lemonade and 2lbs rasberry)

Lime cerveza ( coopers cerveza with 500g pilsner, 350g sugar and two cans of limeade frozen juice)

My personal favorite is my Scottish export:

Coopers real ale, 1.25kg Amber DME, 200G Demarara brown sugar, and assorted specialty grains (can't remember exactly amount and ratios but is roasted, 60, and carahell)

My friends favorite was a spicy brown ale I did (ended up similar to Ofallon Brewing's Bottle House Brown). Started with Mr. Beer amber ale, added chocolate and black malts, I can't remember what hops I used sadly but I picked out some spicy ones. I also added some toasted oak chips for a week. Oddly enough that is what's in my avatar.

My Girlfriends favorite was a Strawberry cream ale. Started with Mr. Beer's Naughty Cream Ale and added a pack of strawberries a week into fermentation. I'm actually attempting to repeat this one with All Grain in a week or so to be ready for Spring.

I'm experimenting with some Munton's pre-hopped cans. I add a hop tea that has steeped for ten minutes and also dry hop for five days. Gives them some fresh hop aroma and flavor.

I buy 2 kits of a very strong beer such as Dead Ringer Ale when it goes on sale. These come with 9 pounds of LME and 5 oz hops each. Then i split up the 18# LME and the 10 oz hops into THREE batches of #6 LME and 3 oz hops which makes a decent hoppy beer. I stretch two kits into 3 this way, and always have an extra pack of hops leftover.

I replaced the yeast from a NB Block Party Amber kit with WY3711 and added some coriander and tangerine peel, dry hopped with 1oz of whole cone chinook. Excellent amber saison and a perfect first homebrew.

I like to add a # of real honey to one up the abv % boost for only 3-4 $ and give it a nice sweetener. The natural goodness of the honey preserves the beer as well. If i dont have honey ill use molasses or brown sugar at $2 a pound but i always avoid table sugar and corn syrup.

I buy 2 kits of a very strong beer such as Dead Ringer Ale when it goes on sale. These come with 9 pounds of LME and 5 oz hops each. Then i split up the 18# LME and the 10 oz hops into THREE batches of #6 LME and 3 oz hops which makes a decent hoppy beer. I stretch two kits into 3 this way, and always have an extra pack of hops leftover.
Interesting. Dead ringer ale is on sale now. Do you skip the dry hop part of the recipe? And does the LME store well in between batches once you open it, or do you make the three batches consecutively?

I'm still new to brewing but I'll give my latest modification. I recently did a Midwest Irish stout that I got on sale. I used a brewing calculator and ran this recipe through it, then consulted several experienced brewers locally as well as the LHBS. First, a 1/4 lb of rolled oatmeal to the steeping grains, then doubled my hop additions at the scheduled times. At 15 minutes left in the boil, I added 3lbs dark DME. At flameout, stirred in a pound of brown sugar. Into the fermenter and after a LOT of action, stirred in a simple syrup made with 1lb of honey and woke up the yeast again. After a few weeks in the primary and then a transfer to secondary to clarify a bit. After a couple weeks, I added 2oz each of bourbon soaked oak cubes and cocoa nibs for 2 months. I'll be bottling and letting age until Christmas.

Lime cerveza ( coopers cerveza with 500g pilsner, 350g sugar and two cans of limeade frozen juice)

Your lime cerveza sounds like a delicious summer beer to me.

Your lime cerveza sounds like a delicious summer beer to me.

It's amazing to be honest. Has a problem clearing, even with gelatin and cold crashing but doesn't really matter since it is always "accidentally" drank to fast by guests and friends.

It started as a summer/spring beer but has become one of my two all year round beers people always ask for (along with my newer version of the rasberry mentioned, which is now 1.75 bottles, 2lbs of rasberrues and a vanilla bean pod)

Latest posts

Back