Best Economical Element and Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've pretty much talked myself into a breaker. It would be different if I were adding a plug for my boil controller buy my plug is already installed in the garage and waiting for me to use.
Now That I think about it, by the time I bought the cord and plugs for the spa panel it would have been cheaper back then too. And My dryer would be on a GFI that with the spa panel isnt.....

I'm wondering why people still recommend a Spa panel at all? A breaker seems cheaper and easier all around

Now That I think about it, by the time I bought the cord and plugs for the spa panel it would have been cheaper back then too. And My dryer would be on a GFI that with the spa panel isnt.....

I'm wondering why people still recommend a Spa panel at all? A breaker seems cheaper and easier all around
I think they are required for a SPA or a pool.

Your new so you'll have to believe me...EVERYONE recommends a spa panel over a breaker around here...since forever...I'm starting wonder why
Not an electrician but I think the reason for that is its easier to expand later off the panel than having to do another run to the breaker. More upfront cost/lower down the road if adding more stuff. But definately do GFCI and make sure its in writing if having an electrician install. I didnt and had to have them come back and fix it. No GFCI around water/30-50 amp brewing controllers is not a good idea.

Your new so you'll have to believe me...EVERYONE recommends a spa panel over a breaker around here...since forever...I'm starting wonder why

I'll be setting up a boil controller in my garage but I will be using a dryer outlet that was left in the garage after my Wife had the washer and dryer moved into the house. But if I were installing a new outlet I would want a disconnect right there at the brewery just so I could turn everything off with one switch.

If you are installing a disconnect then maybe a SPA panel makes sense?

Theres a few reasons the spa panel is generally preferred. First getting a GFCI breaker alone is typically 2x3 times more expensive than the spa panel. Second is a GFCI breaker isn't available for all the different panels out there. Third it can be alot more difficult to install said breaker for people without experience working in the panel. Fourthly a spa panel is not a permanent modification if your renting etc. There's a few more but I imagine you get the point. Cheers

Theres a few reasons the spa panel is generally preferred. First getting a GFCI breaker alone is typically 2x3 times more expensive than the spa panel. Second is a GFCI breaker isn't available for all the different panels out there. Third it can be alot more difficult to install said breaker for people without experience working in the panel. Fourthly a spa panel is not a permanent modification if your renting etc. There's a few more but I imagine you get the point. Cheers
I would have to argue with all those points.

As stated in the links above the Spa panel is now more than a breaker. I was a bit shocked and checked the numbers with HD and Lowes and it is in fact more money. Factor in the additional wire and connections and its way cheaper for a breaker

I havent looked and dont plan to but I would think with internet you could find a GFI breaker for any panel made

Swapping a breaker requires taking the cover off the panel and popping out the old breaker by hand...you dont even need a single tool....its a 9 1/2 out of 10 on the easy scale..wiring a spa panel is definity more brain power

Save your old breaker and swap it out if you move. Pretty simple

Last edited:
I'll be setting up a boil controller in my garage but I will be using a dryer outlet that was left in the garage after my Wife had the washer and dryer moved into the house. But if I were installing a new outlet I would want a disconnect right there at the brewery just so I could turn everything off with one switch.

If you are installing a disconnect then maybe a SPA panel makes sense?
If you want to disconnect everything at the brewery....unplug the one plug going to the washer outlet LOL...its pretty simple stuff. A live outlet with nothing in it isnt dangerous...note every other outlet in your house

Individual mileage may vary. I have a SquareD QO style panel and the cheapest GFCI I can find was usually over $150.. It's model QO230GFI.
When I bought mine, the Midwest brand spa panel at Home Depot was literally $55. It's now $80. I also found the correct GFCI breaker is now had for $103. I would agree that for me, I would buy the breaker now.

Individual mileage may vary. I have a SquareD QO style panel and the cheapest GFCI I can find was usually over $150.. It's model QO230GFI.
When I bought mine, the Midwest brand spa panel at Home Depot was literally $55. It's now $80. I also found the correct GFCI breaker is now had for $103. I would agree that for me, I would buy the breaker now.
I have a Murray panel. $70...less then a spa panel and no wiring...Coulda shoulda woulda.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Murray-...-GFCI-Circuit-Breaker-US2-MP230GFAP/206883893

Last edited:
For people with old panels, getting a 2 pole GFCI can be hard/expensive, so I see why some are saying to get a spa panel.

BUT... to use a spa panel (with a built in GFCI) you need a matching breaker in the old panel. Sub panels are always breaker protected. So, unless you have an empty breaker of the right size in the panel, the question becomes is the cost of a breaker plus a spa panel less than the cost of a GCFI alone ? And in most cases, I doubt it will be. But there will be exceptions. For most people it will be cheaper to put a GFCI in the panel and be done.

Another issue I see is people locating the spa panel within reach of water. The intent of the GFCI rule is that anything you touch while touching water has to be GFCI protected and that includes the spa panel itself. The GFCI in the spa panel doesn't protect the spa panel itself. The spa panel needs to be located out of reach from the brewing area.

I would have to argue with all those points.

As stated in the links above the Spa panel is now more than a breaker. I was a bit shocked and checked the numbers with HD and Lowes and it is in fact more money. Factor in the additional wire and connections and its way cheaper for a breaker

I havent looked and dont plan to but I would think with internet you could find a GFI breaker for any panel made

Swapping a breaker requires taking the cover off the panel and popping out the old breaker by hand...you dont even need a single tool....its a 91/2 out of 10 on the easy scale..wiring a spa panel is definity more brain power

Save your old breaker and swap it out if you move. Pretty simple
But your arguing a point assuming yours and or anothers specific situation is the same for everyone. Yes if you have a general electric panel in your house with a spare spot to install the specific ge breaker that was referenced that would be a good option. If you don't have that specific panel, don't have a spare spot in you panel, aren't allowed to modify your panel, can't get a gfci breaker or breaker is way more expensive then using a spa panel is a great option. As with everything brewing everyone's situation is different. Cheers

But your arguing a point assuming yours and or anothers specific situation is the same for everyone. Yes if you have a general electric panel in your house with a spare spot to install the specific ge breaker that was referenced that would be a good option. If you don't have that specific panel, don't have a spare spot in you panel, aren't allowed to modify your panel, can't get a gfci breaker or breaker is way more expensive then using a spa panel is a great option. As with everything brewing everyone's situation is different. Cheers
I guess...I'm going to say thats a further stretch than not using a spa panel. You need a real outdated panel for your scenario...like from the 50's

I guess...I'm going to say thats a further stretch than not using a spa panel. You need a real outdated panel for your scenario...like from the 50's

im not really seeing your point? if you have a panel from the 1950s and cannot add a gfci breaker to it are you suggesting that replacing the breaker panel and then adding gfci breaker to the new panel is more cost or time efficient then using a spa panel? what are your thoughts for the people that are in a strata/apartment or rent and arent alowed to modify there panel? do it anyways? my panel isnt from the 50s but it fits into more than one of the scenerios i pointed out. cheers

Last edited:

It looks like they use PWM and not SSVR. Are they the same thing? If not then which is better and why?
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2ZCF5176QF25/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

An SSVR also does PWM of a type known as phase angle firing. In this case the pulse period is 1 / 2X line frequency, or 8.33 msec for 60Hz power. At 25% power the triac in the SSR is gated "on" for 2.08 msec, at 50% triac is on for 4.16 msec, and at 75% triac is on for 6.25 msec. Now because the voltage varies as a sine wave, the power delivered at a 25% setting is less than 25%, at 50% setting power is 50%, and at a 75% setting power is more than 75%. (I'm too lazy to figure out the actual power at 25% and 75% as the math involves integrating a sin^2 function.)

In the case of a PID driving an SSR, the PWM pulse period is usually 1 or 2 seconds. For a 1 second period at 25% power, the triac in the SSR will be gated "on" for 0.25 sec, and will pass 30 half cycles of the 60 Hz waveform. At 50% the triac will be on for 0.5 sec, and pass 60 half cycles, etc. With this form of PWM, the power delivered is linear with the power setting (i.e. you actually get 25% power at at 25% setting, unlike with an SSVR.)

The SSVR provides a little smoother power, but with more electrical noise (because of the non-zero crossing switching.) With SSR's and cycle times of 2 sec or greater, folks have noticed "pulsing" variations in boil intensity, but this is not known to cause any actual problems.

There is a third form of power modulation used by Auber EZBoil controllers (driving SSR's) that can be described as Pulse Count Modulation. I won''t go into detail on it here, but like PWM it provides linear setting vs. power delivery, and like SSVR's provides shorter effective cycle times for smoother power delivery.

Brew on :mug:

For people with old panels, getting a 2 pole GFCI can be hard/expensive, so I see why some are saying to get a spa panel.

BUT... to use a spa panel (with a built in GFCI) you need a matching breaker in the old panel. Sub panels are always breaker protected. So, unless you have an empty breaker of the right size in the panel, the question becomes is the cost of a breaker plus a spa panel less than the cost of a GCFI alone ? And in most cases, I doubt it will be. But there will be exceptions. For most people it will be cheaper to put a GFCI in the panel and be done.

Another issue I see is people locating the spa panel within reach of water. The intent of the GFCI rule is that anything you touch while touching water has to be GFCI protected and that includes the spa panel itself. The GFCI in the spa panel doesn't protect the spa panel itself. The spa panel needs to be located out of reach from the brewing area.

i think alot of people myself included are using the spa panel to make a diy gfci extension cord they plug into the dryer outlet. it can be done for under 100$ and is portable. cheers

i think alot of people myself included are using the spa panel to make a diy gfci extension cord they plug into the dryer outlet. it can be done for under 100$ and is portable. cheers
This works, but please note that if you are using a spa panel to convert a 3 wire dryer outlet into a 4 wire power feed, this is not code compliant, and should only be done if you understand and accept the risks.

This works, but please note that if you are using a spa panel to convert a 3 wire dryer outlet into a 4 wire power feed, this is not code compliant, and should only be done if you understand and accept the risks.

Good point. I use a 4 wire. Also to that point correct me if I'm wrong at least in Canada I believe technically having a breaker inline with another breaker isn't code compliant either. Cheers

Again the portatable aspect is irrelevant for many...Yet its ALWAYS recommended..It works for you and thats great...I have a Spa panel also....I just dont think its the right choice for MANY when a breaker is a better option...this thread has opened my eyes to that

Again the portatable aspect is irrelevant for many...Yet its ALWAYS recommended..It works for you and thats great...I have a Spa panel also....I just dont think its the right choice for MANY when a breaker is a better option...this thread has opened my eyes to that

I agree that ***IF*** the breaker works for ones specific situation it is the better option. cheers

Good point. I use a 4 wire. Also to that point correct me if I'm wrong at least in Canada I believe technically having a breaker inline with another breaker isn't code compliant either. Cheers
Don't know anything about Canadian code, but don't most (all) breaker panels have a main breaker (100, 200, 400A, etc.) in front of all the individual circuit breakers? And what about sub-panels? You could end up with four breakers in series for most circuits on the sub-panel. And then you have breakers inside of equipment as well. Seems like you would have to write too many exceptions into the code for all of the many cases that use breakers in series.

Don't know anything about Canadian code, but don't most (all) breaker panels have a main breaker (100, 200, 400A, etc.) in front of all the individual circuit breakers? And what about sub-panels? You could end up with four breakers in series for most circuits on the sub-panel. And then you have breakers inside of equipment as well. Seems like you would have to write too many exceptions into the code for all of the many cases that use breakers in series.

you have a good point and are probably correct. i dont know anything about house electrical other than the stuff i learned building my brewery panel etc. when i was first building my setup i was trying to source a gfci breaker for my panel without any luck and asked a electrician buddy if he had any suggestions. unfortunatly he didnt but after explaining the spa panel workaround he either said it was not generally recommended or not up to code to have the 2 breakers inline like that. he did confirm it would work fine though. cheers

you have a good point and are probably correct. i dont know anything about house electrical other than the stuff i learned building my brewery panel etc. when i was first building my setup i was trying to source a gfci breaker for my panel without any luck and asked a electrician buddy if he had any suggestions. unfortunatly he didnt but after explaining the spa panel workaround he either said it was not generally recommended or not up to code to have the 2 breakers inline like that. he did confirm it would work fine though. cheers
I just gave a electrician friend of mine a call and he said too many breakers in line is pure BS. He said if you ever build a separate garage with power you will already have 4 in series by the time you get to an outlet. You will have 2 in your main panel and 2 in the garage panel.

I just gave a electrician friend of mine a call and he said too many breakers in line is pure BS. He said if you ever build a separate garage with power you will already have 4 in series by the time you get to an outlet. You will have 2 in your main panel and 2 in the garage panel.
Is there an echo in here? :D

An SSVR also does PWM of a type known as phase angle firing. In this case the pulse period is 1 / 2X line frequency, or 8.33 msec for 60Hz power. At 25% power the triac in the SSR is gated "on" for 2.08 msec, at 50% triac is on for 4.16 msec, and at 75% triac is on for 6.25 msec. Now because the voltage varies as a sine wave, the power delivered at a 25% setting is less than 25%, at 50% setting power is 50%, and at a 75% setting power is more than 75%. (I'm too lazy to figure out the actual power at 25% and 75% as the math involves integrating a sin^2 function.)

In the case of a PID driving an SSR, the PWM pulse period is usually 1 or 2 seconds. For a 1 second period at 25% power, the triac in the SSR will be gated "on" for 0.25 sec, and will pass 30 half cycles of the 60 Hz waveform. At 50% the triac will be on for 0.5 sec, and pass 60 half cycles, etc. With this form of PWM, the power delivered is linear with the power setting (i.e. you actually get 25% power at at 25% setting, unlike with an SSVR.)

The SSVR provides a little smoother power, but with more electrical noise (because of the non-zero crossing switching.) With SSR's and cycle times of 2 sec or greater, folks have noticed "pulsing" variations in boil intensity, but this is not known to cause any actual problems.

There is a third form of power modulation used by Auber EZBoil controllers (driving SSR's) that can be described as Pulse Count Modulation. I won''t go into detail on it here, but like PWM it provides linear setting vs. power delivery, and like SSVR's provides shorter effective cycle times for smoother power delivery.

You lost me at "phase angle firing".......

AC power comes in as a sine wave. Look at the image below. The 100% shows two full waves, starting at angle 0 and going 360

Well, maybe that's not an obvious image. The AC voltage is a sine wave. The SSVR turns the power on when the AC voltage crosses the zero line (see the horizontal line) then turns it off somwhere before it gets back to the zero crossing. That's phase angle switching.

PIDs don't care at all about this sine wave. They just switch on/off every few seconds.

upload_2019-2-16_18-30-21.png

AC power comes in as a sine wave. Look at the image below. The 100% shows two full waves, starting at angle 0 and going 360

Well, maybe that's not an obvious image. The AC voltage is a sine wave. The SSVR turns the power on when the AC voltage crosses the zero line (see the horizontal line) then turns it off somwhere before it gets back to the zero crossing. That's phase angle switching.

PIDs don't care at all about this sine wave. They just switch on/off every few seconds.

View attachment 612967
Close, but the triac in the SSVR gets triggered "on" at a non-zero point in the voltage cycle (except at 100%) and then shuts itself "off" when the voltage (or is it current? For a resistive load it's the same time as voltage & current are in phase) goes thru zero. The potentiometer controls a timing circuit that send a trigger pulse to the triac at the appropriate phase angle.

Close, but the triac in the SSVR gets triggered "on" at a non-zero point in the voltage cycle (except at 100%) and then shuts itself "off" when the voltage (or is it current? For a resistive load it's the same time as voltage & current are in phase) goes thru zero. The potentiometer controls a timing circuit that send a trigger pulse to the triac at the appropriate phase angle.

I got that right out of a crydom SSVR datasheet several years ago. I think :)

Wouldn't this be considered off topic

As with the excessive technical data almost nobody understands...on an "economical element" thread.....Is this the "how smart am I thread"...am I in the wrong thread?

Wouldn't this be considered off topic

As with the excessive technical data almost nobody understands...on an "economical element" thread
One of the primary participants in the thread asked about the differences in modulation modes, which set off a tangent discussion explaining how the modulation modes differ. Selecting the switching mode is part of selecting a controller. But, I agree that the side discussion has gone as far as it should in this thread.

Last edited:
One of the primary participants in the thread asked about the differences in modulation modes, which set of a tangent discussion explaining how the modulation modes differ. Selecting the switching mode is part of selecting a controller. But, I agree that the side discussion has gone as far as it should in this thread.

Well that explains it then

View attachment 612967
Does this graph mean that when you turn a SSVR down past 50% it turns off? What about PWM controllers? I don't think I want a boil controller I can't turn down more than 50% without turning it off.

Does this graph mean that when you turn a SSVR down past 50% it turns off? What about PWM controllers? I don't think I want a boil controller I can't turn down more than 50% without turning it off.
All of the controller types can be set below 50% and still have power.

this is pretty easy to answer, you need a main breaker to match the wiring and load so 30 a or 50 amp depends on if you are the type that brews once a day or the type thats aspiring to be on the next episode of moonshiners..
A spa panel can be mounted remotely by the panel and costs like $50-60 the breakers by themselves are usually $100 or so and you would have to go to the main panel to kill the power each time.

electricians are in the business of spending peoples money , not saving it... lol if you seen some of the machinery I work on and the layers of different breakers inside as voltage and load changes.... seriously if the breakers are all doing a different job what the problem? it can only be safer.

this is pretty easy to answer, you need a main breaker to match the wiring and load so 30 a or 50 amp depends on if you are the type that brews once a day or the type thats aspiring to be on the next episode of moonshiners..
A spa panel can be mounted remotely by the panel and costs like $50-60 the breakers by themselves are usually $100 or so and you would have to go to the main panel to kill the power each time.
Hes running off his existing dryer outlet,like me. In the years I've been using my setup I've never once flipped the breaker on the spa panel. Not once.

When the brew day is over I unplug the the power at the dryer outlet and replug the dryer. Simple enough to to. In the OPs case he would just unplug the cord in the dryer outlet and the brew day is over. Theres no need to kill the power at the main.You dont need a spa panel to kill the power. If that was the case I'd need a spa panel for my wife's hair dryer cell phone charger extension cords and everything you plug and unplug.

As noted the price of the spa panel cost more than the breaker now. Then you need to factor in the cost of a dryer cord going into the spa panel...A GFI beaker is cheaper. And certainly easier. Plus the added bonus that the dryer would be on a GFI if using a breaker

The spa panel really is useless..in my setup and many others I would think. When did simply unplugging something become bad?

Last edited:
electricians are in the business of spending peoples money , not saving it... lol if you seen some of the machinery I work on and the layers of different breakers inside as voltage and load changes.... seriously if the breakers are all doing a different job what the problem? it can only be safer.

I'd been scratching my head over the too many breakers thing. When I had 240v run to my garage this summer, the electrician helped me install this:

60-amp breaker in the main breaker box, from which we ran 6 ga wiring to the garage, terminating in a sub panel. In that sub panel I have two 20-amp breakers, each feeding a circuit that ends in a GFCI receptacle. Counting the main 200-amp breaker, that's....1, 2, 3, 4 breakers. There's also a 30-amp GFCI breaker which feeds the main panel circuit.

I told him whatever else we did, I wanted the addition to meet code, which to my knowledge, it does. Even though there are 4 breakers in series....

I'd been scratching my head over the too many breakers thing. When I had 240v run to my garage this summer, the electrician helped me install this:

60-amp breaker in the main breaker box, from which we ran 6 ga wiring to the garage, terminating in a sub panel. In that sub panel I have two 20-amp breakers, each feeding a circuit that ends in a GFCI receptacle. Counting the main 200-amp breaker, that's....1, 2, 3, 4 breakers. There's also a 30-amp GFCI breaker which feeds the main panel circuit.

I told him whatever else we did, I wanted the addition to meet code, which to my knowledge, it does. Even though there are 4 breakers in series....
You have five - the GFCI recepticle is just another type of breaker - and it still meets code.

Latest posts

Back