best digital thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those "instant read" dial thermometers and the last time I used it I noticed that if you accidentally tap it against something it'll change the reading. I don't like that. Can someone recommend a good digital thermometer that's accurate and doesn't cost an arm and two legs? :)

The better they are, the more they cost! :p I have had my Thermapen for six or seven years now. I think I've replaced the battery once... maybe it's actually still on the original. Super accurate and _fast_, which makes for a very spoiled thermometer user.
What kind of price range would you be looking for?

The better they are, the more they cost! :p I have had my Thermapen for six or seven years now. I think I've replaced the battery once... maybe it's actually still on the original.
What kind of price range would you be looking for?

Probably no more than $10 or so.

I'm not sure what would be best in that range. I've used a Taylor 9842 (about 13 bucks) but it's not as waterproof as they'd like you to think. Not usually an issue but in brewing I'd take that into a larger consideration obviously.

Sub $50 I suggest the Comark DT400. It can be found for 20-30 dollars and is worth the extra cost over a cheap-o without having the $100 pricetag of a Thermapen. The waterproofing is solid, it's fast, and the viewing screen is great.

I'm not sure what would be best in that range. I've used a Taylor 9842 (about 13 bucks) but it's not as waterproof as they'd like you to think. Not usually an issue but in brewing I'd take that into a larger consideration obviously.

Sub $50 I suggest the Comark DT400. It can be found for 20-30 dollars and is worth the extra cost over a cheap-o without having the $100 pricetag of a Thermapen. The waterproofing is solid, it's fast, and the viewing screen is great.

OK. Thanks. I can convince myself to spend that much, I guess. :) 'Preciate the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this one a lot:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

Much cheaper than thermapen, and the only thing you lose is a tiny bit (like 0.2F for the normal temp range you would use in brewing) accuracy, and it is a few seconds slower. And the water proofness is pretty solid.

Oh, yeah... I like that price. :)
[later]
OK, I've pulled the trigger. Going to get the Thermoworks thermometer... it's $16, plus shipping. :)

+9 for thermapen. Got one several months ago. Its a quality piece and you can tell just by holding and looking at it, even before use. Even the packaging was awesome. I can't imagine anything being faster. Great for BBQ and oven cooking as well. Actually, better for cooking then brewing but still amazing.

I have a Cormark PDT300... Its waterproof! I dropped it in my mash, took me a min to fish it out with my mash spoon, and the sucker is still going strong! fairly fast, and its accurate. I check it in boiling water often to make sure. For the longest time I wanted a thermapen. I also do a lot of cooking, so I could justify the purchase. However, after dropping the cormark in the mash, and it still working I took the time to take a closer look at exactly what I had (got it for free from somebody in teh food service industry). Honestly I do not really want the thermapen anymore, I would buy another Cormark if something happened to this one. Can't go wrong for 20 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U59MDA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I group Thermapen with Blichmann. Over priced bling that won't make your beer better. If you have the money, go for it.

The top facing CDN DTQ450 that Bobby sells is easy to read, accurate, reliable and plenty fast enough. And I'm clumsy like Gixxer and dropped my DTQ450 in the boil. (I know . . . boiling is 212 degrees.) Took a while to fish it out, but no damage. Doubt that a "Splash-Proof" Thermapen would survive that.

Thermapen should survive that. Have you examined one in your hand? I am guessing it is more waterproof then some brands that claim waterproof are. I think they are just the kind of company that wants it to be like sit at the bottom of a bucket for a yr waterproof.

I get what you say. Not arguing. Cheers

No, the thermapen is not waterproof. It's a great thermometer if you have the money for it but the fanboys get a little nuts with this thing sometimes. If it were waterproof, you know they would advertise it as such to help justify the price. You can buy four CDN DTQ450s and you're still under the price of a thermapen.

No, the thermapen is not waterproof. It's a great thermometer if you have the money for it but the fanboys get a little nuts with this thing sometimes. If it were waterproof, you know they would advertise it as such to help justify the price. You can buy four CDN DTQ450s and you're still under the price of a thermapen.

Man for 100 bones you would think it would be waterproof

I'd speculate that it's the folding probe design that makes it hard to waterproof.

Oh wow, I had no clue it folds, makes sense then about it not being waterproof, but....does it solve wold hunger?

Month ago I bough refurbished Thermapen for $45 (sold by factory on ebay).
So far working great.

Did i speak to early and promote my thermapen when in fact i may have a problem with it?

Tested boiling water 212 F - good result
Tested a jar of water i have in my kegerator down stairs 29.5 F and it is not frozen at all.

Back