Best debut album ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you think? The greatest debut album ever made.

I'm a classic rock/metal head kinda guy so...

I can't decide between Led Zeppelin I and Appetite for Destruction. :rockin:

I think this has been done before, but I'm gonna go for In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson

5183Yts1XUL._AA115_.jpg

Tough call.

I'd even throw Van Halen in there as well, but that's just me. Probably couldn't compare to Led Zep though. Still a fun album.

GNR is a great album, and although I really love it, and it's by far their best album, I can't help but compare them to Led Zep and they come up short.

I guess Led Zep for me...

Zep's first brings back some awesome memories for me. I have to tell you about them after we have a few homebrews together. Its not what I would want to put out on public media :mug:

Zep I is just amazing but I think the comparison to GnR is warranted. Both albums produced a lot of songs that could be called "hits". Things you still hear on the radio today. They were both very ahead of their time and at the time they came out, we had never heard anything like it. Being a huge Zep fan it is hard to choose Appetite, but seeing as though I am only 40, I kind of look at Appetite as the Zep I of my generation.

I could agree if there were more GNR albums to compare to, but unlike Zep, the good stuff from GNR is severely lacking after AFD.

I agree that after this one it was all down hill, but for arguments sake, we are talking about debut albums only.

I also thought that Tesla's debut, "Mechanical Resonance" was pretty bad ass too.

I think we're talking about absolute best debut albums amongst other debuts and not in any way comparing a band's debut to their other subsequent work. If you go that way, so many times a band's best album is very far from their first. Example, Aerosmith's Pump, IMHO is their best. Metallica's Master of Puppets is way better than Kill Em All, again IMHO. I think it's very rare for the first album out of the gate to be the best unless their don't ever get around to another one.

I think we're talking about absolute best debut albums amongst other debuts and not in any way comparing a band's debut to their other subsequent work. If you go that way, so many times a band's best album is very far from their first. Example, Aerosmith's Pump, IMHO is their best. Metallica's Master of Puppets is way better than Kill Em All, again IMHO. I think it's very rare for the first album out of the gate to be the best unless their don't ever get around to another one.

I agree whole heartedly. Whitesnake was around forever before the self titled album came out and then they followed it with Slip of the Tongue. Both of which are incredible albums!

How come no one has said Black Sabbath yet ? The first 45 seconds of that album are probably one of the strongest out of any debut effort.

Fresh Cream was also amazing.

Led Zep I....

Speaking of debut albums.. this was on the Allman's debut album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rush's debut album is a weird animal. It did spawn the band's best live staple behind Tom Sawyer but there's a lot of filler on that LP plus it doesn't have Neil Peart on it.

Then you really won't like this.

I think this is one of the best debut albums of all time.

George Clinton's debut.... with Funkadelic.... 1970.

It's way too hard to pick just one. For me the 1967 debuts of Floyd, Dead, Doors and Velvet Underground are stellar and shaped my teens. But there is also a special place for Pretenders, Nirvana and The Shins.

yeah Doors deserve a mention, Boston sold their souls for just 1 album filled with hits, just great, Beastie Boys first kicked ass and was so new, but for me Zep takes it no question. Pearl Jam sucks BTW.

From the OP... this keeps coming back to me...

Classic.

Hijack alert: my local classic rock station plays gnr and def leppard. I like them both, but when did they become classics? I feel old now and accordingly say led zep. Dazed and confused still rules over welcome to the jungle!

Just off the top of my head:

Black Sabbath
Velvet Underground and Nico
Songs of Leonard Cohen
Straight Outta Compton
The Clash
Horses - Patty Smith
Covid - 36 Chambers
Funkadelic
Willie Colon - El Malo

That's not even touching Jazz, Brazilian, African, Latin (well, I did get one in there) or all the other sh*t I dig on... might have to dive into the collection!

EDIT: Damn, beat to the punch on the NWA. Nice!

Are You Experienced is pretty good.
Weezer blue album is packed with awesome.
Violent Femmes has a ton of classics on it.
Rage Against the Machine was a good debut album, too.

I was going to say Bat Out of Hell...I thought it was his first but turns out it was his second album.

I also agree with Boston, Velvet Underground and Black Sabbath. All fantastic debut albums.

Oh yeah, and a couple I *think* it's their debut album:

Pod by The Breeders
Meantime by Helmet

damn i can't believe i forgot NWA, every suburban white boy like me ate that **** up.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was Appetite for Destruction, and I agree Led Zep I is great. For the most part I can't really stand rap but when Cypress Hill came out I listened to that album all the time. Kill em' all is a favorite of mine from Metallica and I've always loved Iron Maidens debut album as well, they were a very different band when that came out.

But AfD FTW:mug:

There are some really good ideas on here and I agree with many of them. Boston's debut was brilliant, again way ahead of it's time. I have a hard time with Rush and Maiden, I love both bands, they are just not the same band that became what they are now. Member changes and complete direction changes so I can't go for either of those, however I do like both albums. I would have never though about NWA, but I gotta say (and I can't stand rap), that was hardcore sh*t when it came out and it was cool. Can I put it higher on the list than Zep or GnR? Hell no! Oh yeah, and Sabbath's first, awesome!

To the guy that wondered when GnR and Def Lep became classic rock, as much as I hate to say it, this albums are 20 or more years old. That's classic! Of course by that rational, Zep I should now be an "oldie" not a classic! hahahahaha

Anyway, I was just bored yesterday and wanted to start a thread. Glad this one got some action.

Back