Best deal on LP tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it better to buy an empty tank somewhere and have it filled or just buy one pre-filled? Any particular places to look for good deals or places to avoid? Thanks!

Don't know about absolute cheapest, but close to it would be buy a full one from Walmart/Sam's/Costco, then have it refilled later at a place that will fill by the gallon. Careful, a lot of places say the "fill by the gallon/pound, but in fact charge a flat rate. If you have a Tractor Supply Co near you, I highly recommend them as they fill by the gallon and don't round up!

If you can find an empty tank on craigslist or something cheap buy that and exchange it...I just bit the bullet and bought 2 filled from Menards and just go there to exchange it (primarily because they have the cool machine that I can do by myself)

I got a 20lb tank at lowes for $30.

The problem buying a used one is making sure it's not expired.

Buying your own and having it filled is a lot cheaper than any of the exchanges around here. Just to get the first Blue Rhino tank is $50 and each exchange is around $25.

The problem with having my own tank is that finding filling stations in my area took some time. Whereas there is an exchange at every gas station, grocery store, and hardware store.

I have several tanks (you MUST always have AT LEAST one extra) that I got off craigslist, garage sales, whatever. I take them two or three at a time to Uhaul to fill, and it's cheaper to fill than a swap AND you get a good 20%-ish more volume/fill than a swap. For one tank, it's almost not worth the trouble. For two or three...it is. Some Uhauls will charge you an 'RV' rate if you have multiple tanks, which is cheaper yet.

I got a 20lb tank at lowes for $30.

Buying your own and having it filled is a lot cheaper than any of the exchanges around here. Just to get the first Blue Rhino tank is $50 and each exchange is around $25.

The problem with having my own tank is that finding filling stations in my area took some time. Whereas there is an exchange at every gas station, grocery store, and hardware store.

If you're exchanging it though expiration makes no difference. My exchanges at Menards are $17 and change. I run it out and switch to the full one I have on hand and take the other one back next time I'm in town. I haven't found a place near me that will fill for cheaper than that and I've been pretty happy with the amount of brews I get out of a tank.

If you're exchanging it though expiration makes no difference. My exchanges at Menards are $17 and change. I run it out and switch to the full one I have on hand and take the other one back next time I'm in town. I haven't found a place near me that will fill for cheaper than that and I've been pretty happy with the amount of brews I get out of a tank.

It's been a while since I've let one run completely dry. I don't think I've ever spent more than $12 on a refill.

Expired tanks is where Blue Rhino (and other exchanges) come in handy. Exchange the expired one, get shiny new one. When the BR tank goes empty, have it refilled instead of exchanged.

Worth the extra money of the exchange. Otherwise, refill.

I get my 20# refilled at the local Equipment Rental place for $20
They fill it until the vent spews liquid.

'da Kid

Not such a good idea. Some surface area on top of the liquid propane is necessary for evaporation. You can starve a flame when the tank is overfilled. Also, a completely full tank will vent as it warms up, not a good idea in a car. That's the reason why new tanks have an overfill prevention device.

It's a dollar cheaper at home depot to buy the exchange tank filled than it is to buy the empty tank and then exchange it. But it's cheaper per pound to get an empty tank filled than to exchange.

And you don't really need a spare tank if you weigh it on each use to see how much gas you use and how much you have left. The tare weight of the tank is on the collar usually.

I got 3 on CL for $25 and exchanged for new ones at Kroger. Then refill them as needed at the closest full service u-haul center to get the most bang for your buck.

Get the cheapest tank you can get, some old nasty thing off craigslist that's past its expiration, then take it to homedepot for swap (pick out the newest tank they have). From there on out take it to a place that does fills. I would avoid Blue Rhino, if you look at their fine print you'll see that they don't do complete fills anymore. With rising costs they decided to keep the price the same but reduce the amount of propane. New Blue Rhino tanks are also starting to come with a proprietary/magnetically activated valve that cannot be filled by anyone else (called Tri-Safe II valve).

From the Blue Rhino site:
http://www.bluerhino.com/BRWEB/Help...ropane-does-Blue-Rhino-put-in-its-tanks-.aspx

Latest posts

Back