Best dark rich commercial brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Stone vertical epic 090909 is my one love, but super high priced brews aside, what are your favorite dark ales?

At a very cool pub here, I was able to sample 10 beers in 4 oz glasses.

WAAAAAAY too much good info!

I saved the list (like a suchi menu) where I had made my choices (and SWMBO's;)) but alas, it is gone.

At first I was like.."SAMPLER??? where are we, O'charlies???"

But to my dismay, swmbo got one, and was able to taste 5 awesome beers (OK 4 awesome, 1 OK) while I got only one super IPA that fell a little short.

Schlafly extra stout (I want to say) was awesome.

Dark night of the something or other was also fantastic.

Great notes, eh????

GOD DAMN IT.

I got a sixer of founder's dark, rich, sexy Porter because they didn't have schlafly or anything else I remembered (or semi-remembered).

The founders is good, but just OK compared to the other 2 brews.

stone vert999 was not roasty, smooth dark, rich and mellow, as was the schlafly. What else is like that?.....(not that I dislike roasty)

Reads like you might explore two styles, dopplebock and export stout might be right up your alley. Similarly, look for Baltic Porters, similar to regular porters only lager instead of ale.

On my palate all dark beer is good beer.

I'd put Rogue's Mocha Porter and Pelican's Doriman's Dark at the top of my list. I like RMP so much, I tossed my own Porter recipe out when I found a good clone recipe.

One of my local favorites is Foothills Sexual Chocolate. It took bronze at GABF for the Imperial Stout category. It's fantastic.

Back