Best crisp ale yeast for kind-of-cold cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klinus

Reaction score
Hi!

I usually brew 10 liter ( 2.5 gal) and split it in two carboys, which I ferment in my wardrobe (around 70F).

Now I'm going to put one of the carboys in my basement, which is around 52F and I wonder, if I want to make it as crisp as possible in 52F, what yeast do you suggest? I would rather dont lager for a long time if thats possible.

I'm gonna brew an ipa, but would be cool if it could imitate a ipl - or at least have noticeable difference compared to the wardrobe carboy :)

Should I try a cream ale yeast, a kolsch or something else?

Thanks!

You could use a lager yeast. Long storage is not necessary, ferment until you are about 75-85% complete then move it to the warmer area for a diacetyl rest and leave it until the beer clarifies. Keg or bottle.

+1 to above.

If you want to use an ale yeast, cal ale wlp001,wyeast1056,us-05 can ferment successfully in the mid 50s, as can an alt yeast -- wyeast1007. (A kolsch yeast will work too, but I think as far as "crisp" goes, id think an alt or cal ale is going to be cleaner.)

Pitch a little more yeast than you usually would. Around 25% more.

after some investigations (and looking for what's available at my lhbs), I think I'll try the 1007! Thanks for the help! I'll report back with results!

I have fermented some ciders at cool temps using Nottingham with very good and tasty results. It takes a while, several weeks in the 50s in my experience.

Back