Best Chowder Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tasted some darn good ones, but I used to make my own until the State of Ohio outlawed gathering them. We used to go along the Shoreline of Lake Erie with a couple 5 gallon buckets when the ice pack melted in the spring. We'd gather the fresh water clams as they washed up in the choppy surf. Soak'em in a sink of room-temp water for a while to get'em to blow out some dirty stuff. Steam the clams, & set aside, leaving their liquor in the kettle. Add bite size (1/4" to 3/8" square) potatoes to the kettle, some 3C worth. Then heat the oven to 400F & roast 3-4 ears of corn, husk & all for 45 minutes or so. Or de-husk them & char a bit on a grill if you like the corn caramelized a bit. I like to use our 1 1/2-2 gallon kettle for this. About 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of water with 1 bottle clam juice added to boil the potatoes. When potatoes are just getting Al dente, add the corn now cut off the cob to the kettle to cook the flavor into it for 10 minutes or so. Make a rue of butter & about 2/3C of flour in a pan. I prefer tub margarine for this, as they use corn oil quite often to produce it. Then add a pint or so of cream to the rue & stir till smooth. Add to the kettle while stirring to dissolve. You may have to adjust the amount of cream to get the flavor & consistency you prefer. Add some fresh cracked pepper to taste with a bit of salt.Then chop the oysters or clams to bite size & toss in the kettle just till warmed through, a couple minutes. Tarragon is good in this sometimes as well. Some corn sticks are good on the side.

Tony's Clam Chowder in Cedar Key, FL, but unfortunately I do not have a recipe...

I've made a few different soups and one of my favorites is simple Chicken Corn Chower. Here is the recipe:

Cook Chicken in a pan to carmelize it. Set aside. Fry a few strips (or a whole pound) and save the grease.

In a pot sweat onions and some garlic (if you prefer) in bacon grease (add a bit of butter if you need more oil. (you should have more oil than can coat the onions.) Probably 3/4 stick. Add a bit of salt to help the onions sweat (adds a bit of sweetness with the onions flavor.)

When onions are soft add 2-3 TBS of flour and stir well. The flour/oil mixture should be pretty thick Cook for just a minute or two stirring to keep it from burning.

Add about 6 cups of chicken stock by ladle-fulls and stir with whisk into flour mixture. This will create a roux and a thick soup.

After the stock as been added, heat to boiling while cutting up potatoes into 1/4" sized pieces. Add them to the soup pot.

When a boil has been made, simmer until potatoes are soft. Meanwhile cut up the chicken and however much bacon you want to add in there. Munch on bacon while working.

When potatoes are soft add the chicken and bacon and a cup or two of heavy cream, plus a couple of cans of corn or frozen or fresh if you prefer. You want plenty of corn in there!

Heat to serving temp and salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is a lot about adjusting amounts on the fly. If the chowder is not thick enough you can always melt some butter in a small pan and add s bit of flour, then pull some of the broth from the main pot to mix into the roux, then add back what you need to get the consistency you want.

I've found through studying Amish & Shaker recipes that they like to use equal parts butter & bacon drippin' to cook veggies & such in. Quite savory flavor results. Not too shabby in soup either. A quite different but good flavor.

Back