best carb level for all beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I was thinking 2.57 volumes of co2 was good for all beers (with the exception of my stouts)... Am I far off and does anybody have other suggestions or recommendations?

All but whit, wheats and stouts. Wheat beers should be a little higher and as you mentioned stouts should be lower.

Similar to serving temperature, it's mostly personal preference. I have a single regulator and serve all of my beer at 40° and 12 psi for 2.47 vol of carbonation.

Thanks everyone... I know it may be personal preference but how much does 0.2 volumes of co2 affect beer up or down?

Thanks everyone... I know it may be personal preference but how much does 0.2 volumes of co2 affect beer up or down?

Quite a bit. BMC drinkers accustomed to 2.7 vol often find my beer at 2.5 vol to be undercarbed. I've served a mild at 2.2 vol and BMC drinkers described it as "flat".

I brew a lot of wheats and belgian style ales so I am usually carbing around 3.0 volumes. Anymore and I'd probably get bottle bombs. I have a friend that kegs and he usually runs around 2.5 volumes for most of his beers and like someone else said about BMC drinkers accustomed to higher volumes of CO2 his beers definitely seem flat to me. But others who also drink at 2.5 volumes claim it doesn't seem flat to them.

Thanks... I think I will start at 39 degrees at 13 psi... This should give me about 2.61 volumes... I can play with it from there

Back