Best breweries downtown denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
Ey guys, I'm going to be in Denver the 26th and 27th and will most likely be staying downtown. I know the co craft beer scene is pretty badass, but where specifically (downtown if possible) should I be sure to hit up. Also if anyone mnows of anything cool going on those days let me know as we'll. thanks in advance guys!

Wynkoop, Great Divide, Breckenridge are all decent and worth checking out. You can also check out the Colorado section for some threads/ideas. Have fun.

If you're into sours and wild ales, you gotta check out Crooked Stave. Not a brewery but Falling Rock is always a favorite when I'm in town for GABF.

Smaller breweries you might not have heard of:

River north brewery at Blake and 24th - try their barrel aged stuff. Denver beer company at 17th and platte. Prost is at 20th and I-25 - good German styles. Epic just opened about 2-3 months ago - lots of variety - 30th & walnut.

Of course, great divide, Breckinridge brewery and Wynkoop are all solid breweries with food. They all have locations in the same general area around Coors field. Crooked stave is at a new location at 35th and Brighton.

All of these are stumbling distance from each other with a little planning.

Gotta try Wit's End
i wasn't prepared to recommend that one until i try it myself - which will be tomorrow.

Could also be recommending CO Cider company which is across the street from Wit's End...
I'll report back my findings tomorrow.:)

+1 Wynkoop and if you're willing to drive ~60 miles north to Ft. Collins: Odells (Just around the corner from New Belgium).

For my money, Great Divide is the can't miss brewery in Denver. Wynkoop is middle of the road and Breckenridge bites.

Absolutely, positively go to the Falling Rock Tap Room. Amazing beer selection and great staff.

Also try Lucky Pie on 16th street. Broad selection of local beers and really nice pie.

Black Shirt, Epic, Renegade, Wits End, River North, Great Divide......for food and beer; Freshcraft or Amatos Ale House.....Denver Beer Co and Prost would be passes for me, mainly because of their **** ass *****bag hipster bartenders that don't know **** about beer. Or service. But prost does make decent beer.

The three I would for sure not miss that are downtownish are Great Divide/River North/Prost.

As for others, Strange is tasty, as is Copper Kettle and Dry Dock.

+1 Wynkoop and if you're willing to drive ~60 miles north to Ft. Collins: Odells (Just around the corner from New Belgium).

WELL, it just so happens that I will be going from my wifes grandparents ranch in Brodus, MT and arriving in Denver from the north. So I will be going right by there anyway :)

Ok, after taste flights from both Colorado Cider company and Wits End Brewing, I can recommend a stop a both....not that my recommendation is worth the paper it's written on, but we had a good time at both.

The ugly sweater at wits end was highlight of the happy hour.

Black Shirt, Epic, Renegade, Wits End, River North, Great Divide......for food and beer; Freshcraft or Amatos Ale House.....Denver Beer Co and Prost would be passes for me, mainly because of their **** ass *****bag hipster bartenders that don't know **** about beer. Or service. But prost does make decent beer.

This is a perfect review.

I was really impressed with the selection at Falling Rock. It is immense. Needs more ****ters tho

For my money, Great Divide is the can't miss brewery in Denver. Wynkoop is middle of the road and Breckenridge bites.

Absolutely, positively go to the Falling Rock Tap Room. Amazing beer selection and great staff.

Also try Lucky Pie on 16th street. Broad selection of local beers and really nice pie.

+1 to everything this gentleman said.

I would also recommend Freshcraft for food and great brews if you're not up for pizza. It's between 15th & 16th on Blake St.

Also, Avery, Crooked Stave, and Odell are the others I'd check out if you have time.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Our Mutual Friend on Larimer between 28th and 29th has some good stuff as well.

The three I would for sure not miss that are downtownish are Great Divide/River North/Prost.

As for others, Strange is tasty, as is Copper Kettle and Dry Dock.

+1 on Copper Kettle. It's a ways from DT, but worth the trip.

Avoid Pints Pub, their beers had a huge diacetyl problem when I was there a few months ago, even their non-Brit styles. I couldn't drink the hand-pumped brown I ordered, so I ordered a pils--same problem. The food was OK, though.

I got a personal tour of strange and it was my favorite

No hipsters
More aboit beer and less about what jacket you wear
Sweet1bbl system that they started on

Least favorite: Prost
Tapped out of several beers
Refused to give me a tour

Best beer i tried in all of Denver: wynkoop ESB cask

Thank you for this. I can't stand the servers at DBC, I always get *****bag hipster from them. Not to mention their beer really ain't all that. :off:

Some that seem to be recurring. Wyncoop, wits end, falling rock. Swmbo loves ciders so I think the cider company is a must as well. The negative comments of the servers at Prost bums me out. I have a lack of good German beers in my life.

WELL, it just so happens that I will be going from my wifes grandparents ranch in Brodus, MT and arriving in Denver from the north. So I will be going right by there anyway :)

If you go to Fort Collins... you HAVE to hit Funkwerks. Best brewery in FC in my opinion(Then again they are also one of my favorite breweries period...)

Some that seem to be recurring. Wyncoop, wits end, falling rock. Swmbo loves ciders so I think the cider company is a must as well. The negative comments of the servers at Prost bums me out. I have a lack of good German beers in my life.

Wynkoop didnt really impress me personally. Big selection of beers but only 1 or two that were worth drinking. Wits End is one I wish I hit when I was in Denver last time. Falling Rock is a good time.

I had a great time at Prost personally. Im not a huge German beer fan but they all were very solid, and our group got a tour from one of the assistant brewers but it doesn't seem like they give those out much.

If you go to Fort Collins... you HAVE to hit Funkwerks. Best brewery in FC in my opinion(Then again they are also one of my favorite breweries period...) Wynkoop didnt really impress me personally. Big selection of beers but only 1 or two that were worth drinking. Wits End is one I wish I hit when I was in Denver last time. Falling Rock is a good time. I had a great time at Prost personally. Im not a huge German beer fan but they all were very solid, and our group got a tour from one of the assistant brewers but it doesn't seem like they give those out much.

That place looks awesome, especially because Belgians are my FAVORITE style. The problem is that I won't be in fc until around 6:30 and then I have to drive the additional hour to Denver. I should save the majority of my "tasting" for after my vehicle is pRked and I'm hoofing it around down town.

Falling rock, cheeky monk (Belgian taphouse), and great divide. If you go to Ft. Collins, go to the mayor of old town.

Ok so one last thing. Looks like supper will be in ft Collins. Best food/ beer spot?

Sorry I should have asked if any of the already mentioned joints had food as well??

So where do you go? What did you think?

Finally back stateside. The Denver beer scene was as good as I expected. Before I got there I stopped in ft collins at new belgium (super nice people everywhere), then off to the mayor of old town where they had 100 beers on tap. I thought that was insane! That was until I got to the yard house in Denver where they must have twice that many! They were both awesome because I got to sample a TON of beers that I have always wanted to try but never have had the chance (like Pliny the elder). The only actual brewery I was at was wyncoop. I thought their ipa sucked, they had a red wine/beer fusion that I thought was really interesting, their sleggen hammeren barley wine was really awesome. I stopped at a place called wallabys liquor when I got back yesterday and loaded up on A bunch of great beers I can't get here. I'll report back on the interesting ones when I drink them. I got a ghost pepper beer that should be interesting, also a couple farmhouse ales from a brewery in Texas that, if they are as badass as their labels, they will be worth bringing home.

Glad you had a good trip. Stay warm!

I'll try! I'm in nd where it got down to a balmy -66 with the windchill last night. A little different than the 90+ I had in Costa Rica for the past couple weeks.

Back