best blow off set up for Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
So maybe someone can help me out.

I'm pretty anal about my brewing and how "perfect" the process needs to be for me. So I was wanting to buy a Carboy Cap and just throw a 5/8" tube on it but those jokers don't fit Better Bottles.

My next recipe is an American Wheat Fruit beer and am predicting a wild fermentation needing a blow off valve... and I want someone that fits perfectly, leaving no room for error. any ideas?

You could use plastic tubing that tightly fits the better bottle opening. That would be a fairly large diameter and unwieldy, but it would be highly unlikely to clog.

Alternatively, cut the bottom x out of a 3-piece airlock, attach tubing to the internal cylinder, and stick it in a bung that fits the better bottle. That is what I use for my blow-off tube and it works well.

I use a section of a broken auto siphon tube as a coupler , I jammed it into the beter bottle stopper and attached the tube to that, works great and cost me zero additional since I had the bits sitting around.

Maybe something like this: I prefer large diameter tubing as it is really likely not to clog.

AmericanRedAle2.jpg

Maybe something like this: I prefer large diameter tubing as it is really likely not to clog.

AmericanRedAle2.jpg

I was going to build what you have here. What is the piece between the stopper and the PVC? Also, did you have to drill that stopper hole or can you purchase them somewhere with that big of a hole?

Thanks

I use a 3 peice airlock, remove the lid and the thimble looking peice. a 1/2 ID tube fits over the post in the middle of the airlock perfectly.

I am using arrowhead water bottle caps. I used a 1/2" barb fitting and some 1/2" tubing

IMG_20110124_063152.jpg

-=Jason=-

I also just stick a tube in the hole of the bung and have the tubing run to a growler full of sanitizer. No clog problems yet.

AmericanRedAle2.jpg

I would think that instead of using the 90 degree fittings, that using a couple more 45 degree fittings would provide less resistance, and allow you to make almost an arc for the foam to flow through...

Although it you don't over pitch the yeast, and keep a better control over the temperature, you'll probably not need the tubing at all (except, maybe doing 5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy)... The past two brews I've started, where I expected lots of foaming action from (even in a 5 gallon carboy) didn't happen. The brews were actually much better that way...

I would think that instead of using the 90 degree fittings, that using a couple more 45 degree fittings would provide less resistance, and allow you to make almost an arc for the foam to flow through...

Although it you don't over pitch the yeast, and keep a better control over the temperature, you'll probably not need the tubing at all (except, maybe doing 5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy)... The past two brews I've started, where I expected lots of foaming action from (even in a 5 gallon carboy) didn't happen. The brews were actually much better that way...

I agree. Super-violent doesn't always necessarily mean good. My last few batches have only had about an inch or two of krausen but have attenuated very nicely after 3 weeks and turned out to be excellent beers. Only exception being the Patersbier I just did with Wyeast 3787, which seriously likes to float and hang out on top like a huge puffy yeast cloud.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no room for error", but I've been using the orange carboy caps on my Better Bottles for over two years. They're not a mega tight force-fit, but they seal just fine.

blowoff.jpg

If you want a tighter fit, the red carboy caps require a lot more force to pop on. I usually use those for secondary fermentation with an S-bubbler airlock.

-Joe

cheapest option is Orange Arrow Head water bottle caps as they are FREE.

-=Jason=-

I'm not sure what you mean by "no room for error", but I've been using the orange carboy caps on my Better Bottles for over two years. They're not a mega tight force-fit, but they seal just fine.

View attachment 19725

If you want a tighter fit, the red carboy caps require a lot more force to pop on. I usually use those for secondary fermentation with an S-bubbler airlock.

-Joe

+1 Carboy caps work for me.

I've never heard of arrow head water, nor have I seen a place to get their caps for free. Where would I get them?

I've never heard of arrow head water, nor have I seen a place to get their caps for free. Where would I get them?

really?

http://www.arrowheadwater.com/

in Ca they had arrowhead and here in Az they have arrowhead.

in the stores you can buy 12oz bottles.

here are work or home you can get home water delivery of 5 gallon bottles they take the empties and deliver full bottles.

I am sure Sparklets caps would work as well. any business with a water cooler should be getting water bottle delivery. here at work I put a note above asking that all caps be saved and given to me.

you could do the same

Basically any cap that fits a 5 gallon water bottle will work as long as the bottle is not a screw on type cap.

-=Jason=-

I don't like the solid stoppers for my Better Bottles. They just never seat well for me. I ended up getting 2 of the medium bungs for Better Bottles from Midwest. I drilled out the middle and stuck 5/8 tubing through it. Works a treat.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/medium-universal-carboy-bung-for-better-bottle-solid.html
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/5-8-tubing.html

They also sell pre-drilled ones that fit an airlock.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/medium-universal-carboy-bung-for-better-bottle-drilled.html

Ah, so it's just a water delivery service. Neither Arrowhead nor Sparkletts are available in my area, so no wonder that didn't make sense to me. I get it now, though. We have another company that does it. I'll have to see if I can do the same at work. Nice trick!

I use those for my normal airlocks. To get a bigger diameter blowoff tube, I bought the undrilled ones, drilled out the center with a spade bit, and snugly fit a 5/8" ID hose into it. This eliminates the risk of the blow-off getting stuck either on the bottom of the converted airlock, or because the blow-off tube wasn't big enough diameter.

Back