Best beginner kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nogud247

Reaction score
I'm thinking about sending my little brother a ready to go kit for Xmas this year. What do you think is the best kit at the best price? If possible id like it to just ship directly to my brothers place. Thanks in advance. Also links welcome.

If you are talking recipe kit I would recommend Northern Brewer's La Petite Orange. I haven't met anybody who hasn't raved about it. If you are talking equipment kit, I would go with Northern Brewer's deluxe kit ($180). The glass or plastic carboys afford you a great view of the fermenting process.

I should have stated that I meant equipment kit. Good tip on the beer kit though. I'll likely give that one a try myself.

Midwest has their basic starter kit for $70. Add a beer kit & send him that...& maybe my new homebrewing book. It explains a lot of stuff. It has definitions & recipes as well.

It looks to me like some of those kits are pretty complete, including a glass carboy. I've never used a glass carboy in my 8 years of brewing and never intend to. Many of us are moving away from secondary entirely and after seeing the thread on the injuries sustained when that carboy breaks I don't want one in my house. I bought the basic kit like mentioned above, used the stock pot I already had, added a recipe kit, and I was brewing. While a chiller would be a nice addition, I've managed to make a lot of good beer without one. I have added several fermenters to my basic kit. It's hard to be patient and let the beer complete the ferment when you only have one fermenter but being able to brew another while waiting makes it easier.

Latest posts

Back