Best beer magazines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaundesjardins

Reaction score
What are the best brewing/beer magazines out there?
I'm new to brewing but I'm obsessed with learning more and just simply reading about brewing and beer.

I only have a subscription to BYO (Brew Your Own) and I definitely love it. It has everything from beginner level to advanced topics. Tons of articles, recipes, and DIY.

I receive Zymurgy and Draft and they're both great magazines, although Draft isn't about homebrewing but beer/alcohol in general and throws in reviews for cool gadgets, brewpubs, best places to drink a beer, etc.

I believe I have a subscription to BYO coming from Harv's Hopshare thread, but I haven't seen an issue yet. I've read it in the past and it's a very good publication as well.

Beer Advocate has a good publication--(although it is mostly about beer in general, it DOES have one homebrewing recipe article each issue), All About Beer is similar to Beer Advocate, and another one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Beer Magazine. It is kind of like Maxim but about beer instead of stupid stuff.

Both BYO and Zymurgy look excellent. I think I'll subscribe to both.
I wish I had started homebrewing years ago. This is WAY too much fun.
Thanks fo the suggestions everyone!

Speaking of BYO would someone be kind enough to PM me when they get the next issue?

I got a subscription for Christmas and would like to know when to expect it...
Which I'd guess to be about 2 weeks after ye do...

For brewing, I have a subscription to BYO and typically buy Zymurgy at the newsstand (I need to join the AHA so I get the subscription).

I really enjoy Beer magazine. It is the Maxim for beer. They do make some mistakes, but the entertainment factor is definitely there. If you like reading Maxim or Stuff and you are a fan of beer, you will enjoy Beer magazine.

For brewing, I have a subscription to BYO and typically buy Zymurgy at the newsstand (I need to join the AHA so I get the subscription).

I really enjoy Beer magazine. It is the Maxim for beer. They do make some mistakes, but the entertainment factor is definitely there. If you like reading Maxim or Stuff and you are a fan of beer, you will enjoy Beer magazine.

I can't say I'm much of a fan of Maxim or the like but BYO and Zymurgy look exactly like what I'm looking for.

BYO, Zymurgy and All About Beer here. I am a AHA member, so I get Zymurgy mailed each month.

I subscribe to BYO, Zymurgy and BeerAdvocate.

I've flipped through Beer Magazine and it wasn't my thing, had subscriptions to All About Beer but decided not to renew. I got a free year subscription to Draft in late '07 and I'm not sure if it's still coming as I haven't seen one in a while but I probably wouldn't have renewed that either.

BYO is good, could be better:

* needs a closer proofread

* Some of the technical articles could be more clearly written. (procedures hard to follow)

*BYO's clone recipes are good but some are unnecessarily complicated. (three different extracts in one recipe)

I don't know if all of the beer magazines do this, but why not just do the "free trial." Sign up and use "bill me later" if you don't like the issue you get cancel. I know you can do that with our magazine, or you can go to Zinio and preview some of it anyway.

There you go, so it's much better to get a copy and read it and see if you enjoy something than ask other people if they like it.

I really enjoy Beer magazine. It is the Maxim for beer.

I was at B&N the other day and flipped through this magazine, what a joke. I guess it has it's market, but it ain't me. After seeing the following tip, I decided to put it back on the shelf: "Have a friend that homebrews, this way you can score free beer. Who makes homebrew and charges their friends for it?"
I suppose they could have advised people to make their own, but instead they say to find a friend that does...

I was at B&N the other day and flipped through this magazine, what a joke. I guess it has it's market, but it ain't me. After seeing the following tip, I decided to put it back on the shelf: "Have a friend that homebrews, this way you can score free beer. Who makes homebrew and charges their friends for it?"
I suppose they could have advised people to make their own, but instead they say to find a friend that does...

Taken in stride, that's good advice. Two of my buddies are now homebrewing and I'm working on getting a third into the hobby. For the record, I've never charged any of them for beer, though I have traded for Jager. :mug:

The article is a "fun article" and it's an article about 27 thing every beer drinker should have...not what a homebrewer should have or anything other than something entertaining to read.

The correct quote is "17. A friend that home brews–Just shy of owning a brewery is the joy of having a friend who home brews. This is the easiest way of scoring free beer; what home brewer charges is friends for free beer? Just remember, though, they hide the good stuff for themselves."

No offense, but if you get upset by the fact that not everybody home brews and that we're not telling the world to go out and make their own beer in every sentence...I don't want you as a reader :) I like my readers to be able to laugh, laugh at themselves and not think they are better than every person that doesn't brew...The article doesn't imply charging, nor is really offensive. I'd say you had some argument if you mentioned the part about a "booty call blocker" or " a story that includes the phrase 'and when the cops showed up"

I picture my beer drinker with a tuxedo tee-shirt because it says I'm formal, but I like to party.

Un-button the top button and exhale.

I picture my beer drinker with a tuxedo tee-shirt because it says I'm formal, but I like to party.

Un-button the top button and exhale.

Oh boy.

*searches for that emoticon with the smiley dude eating popcorn*

Love your mag, dude, it has everything I like. Beer, chicks, guy humor, and beer. But tuxedo shirt wearing guy isn't cool. Never was. The frat boy image is something that the beer industry (especially craft beer) could do without. It isn't about that.

Oh boy.

1947.gif

Me too!

Oh boy.

Love your mag, dude, it has everything I like. Beer, chicks, guy humor, and beer. But tuxedo shirt wearing guy isn't cool. Never was. The frat boy image is something that the beer industry (especially craft beer) could do without. It isn't about that.

I dont' see why liking something where all beer drinkers started. What's wrong with college and drinking beer? I'll never understand why we think drinking a few beers and "feeling it" is more classy than drinking low ABV beer and hanging out with friends...even if its' an tuxedo t-shirt. Anyway, we can start a philosophy thread and discuss why some people think one form of drinking beer is superior to another :)

Anyway...that quote was just from Talladega Nights...I also picture my beer drinker with a giant angle wings....

Come on, it's beer. Beer = fun. The day I have a beer and don't laugh is the day I stop drinking beer.

I dont' see why liking something where all beer drinkers started. What's wrong with college and drinking beer? I'll never understand why we think drinking a few beers and "feeling it" is more classy than drinking low ABV beer and hanging out with friends...even if its' an tuxedo t-shirt. Anyway, we can start a philosophy thread and discuss why some people think one form of drinking beer is superior to another :)

Anyway...that quote was just from Talladega Nights...I also picture my beer drinker with a giant angle wings....

Come on, it's beer. Beer = fun. The day I have a beer and don't laugh is the day I stop drinking beer.

Wow, I don't relate to you AT ALL.

*Note to self, don't bother reading BeerMagazine*

Wow, I don't relate to you AT ALL.

*Note to self, don't bother reading BeerMagazine*

+1

Sorry BeerMagazine but college beer drinking was mostly about binge drinking excessive amounts of the cheapest beer you could find. People who appreciated beer were few and far between. I think that is a poor image for beer and a poor example for others.

I like BYO. Lots of good information for homebrewers. Its not a "lifestyle" magazine its a hobby magazine. Mostly about information. I guess that just the type of reading I like. I need to get my AHA membership so I can get Zymurgy.

Craig

+1

Sorry BeerMagazine but college beer drinking was mostly about binge drinking excessive amounts of the cheapest beer you could find. People who appreciated beer were few and far between. I think that is a poor image for beer and a poor example for others.

I like BYO. Lots of good information for homebrewers. Its not a "lifestyle" magazine its a hobby magazine. Mostly about information. I guess that just the type of reading I like. I need to get my AHA membership so I can get Zymurgy.

Craig

College was. But I also drank decent beer. The "idea" behind our magazine is to educate those who drink cheaper beer. And I'm sorry but the approach of "you drink crap" and "you are just children" doesnt' seem like a good way to start talking to people. So we chose to embrace, what most of us did, and then educate.

Some may have difficulty seeing that, others won't.

i sense trouble brewing...mods could we close this thread before things get out of hand?

College was. But I also drank decent beer. The "idea" behind our magazine is to educate those who drink cheaper beer. And I'm sorry but the approach of "you drink crap" and "you are just children" doesnt' seem like a good way to start talking to people. So we chose to embrace, what most of us did, and then educate.

Some may have difficulty seeing that, others won't.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply your mag was not going to be of interest to a different audience. I am just not your audience.

It is very true the approach described above seldom changes an opinion and even less often sells a publication. However I think you will seldom find that opinion expressed here on HBT.

I wish you well in your endeavor.

Craig

I agree with CBBaron. I am sure Beer Magazine does well with it's target market, which is the younger crowd. When I was in college, there was no question about what beer to get, it was Busch Light.... I wouldn't have dreamed of spending $10 on a sixpack. Beer Mag just doesn't pertain much to homebrewing, which is what the original post was about.

i sense trouble brewing...mods could we close this thread before things get out of hand?

I don't see any trouble, I can have a discuss without getting hurt by people who don't like something. And if everybody doesn't take generalities personally they won't get upset either.

I full understand our target, and even though we don't have all you party animals, I do think that our magazine is a nice light reading with lots of real information in there. If you like beer you probably should like reading about it and other areas, which I think our magazine does well.

Our target is 21-38 year old males who like beer, but don't like it enough to argue on the internet, which is probably the majority of beer drinkers.

There are lots of people who posted in this thread that read it, and have sent me messages they like it. But just like people who only drink stout when somebody who like a different beer tries to tell them their beer is better it never works out.

I'm very open in saying I'm okay with people not liking the magazine, but when they make inaccurate statements that aren't really fair or short sighted I come to offer another point of view. Every one of our readers is a potential homebrewer and member of this forum. For that I think saying things like "it sucks" and is a waste is very narrow minded.

Back