Best beer I have brewed to date. (starting easy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
I am very happy to say that my very first recipe came out much better than I expected. Vienna Malt and Liberty hop SMASH

1.038 OG
1.002 FG
4.47% ABV
95% attenuation!

9lbs Vienna
1oz 60 liberty
1oz 30 liberty
1oz 15 liberty
60 min mash at 150 (no mash out)
1 dry yeast pack US-05
3 weeks in primary

So far its one of the best beers I have personally brewed.

sounds interesting, I don't think I have ever used either of those ingredients ever.

I have never brewed with either of those ingredients before either. I got my inspiration after having these two beers and saying what the heck!

https://untappd.com/b/franconia-brewing-company-vienna-lager/670780

http://www.peticolasbrewing.com/beer/sit-down-or-ill-sit-you-down
(At the brewery they brewed this using Liberty and sampled it out as a test while I was there on tour and fell in love with this particular hop)

Hard to see after trying to take my house out of the back ground but here it is.

1..002.png

12548886_10153767457918911_4847086064841126854_n.jpg

Never used Liberty hops, but I'm a big fan of single malt with US-05. Sometimes simple recipes are the best. Crazy attenuation, what was your fermentation temp?

US-05 will sometimes go nuts and attenuate like that, plenty of people have had that happen. If you fly sparge, without the mashout you could have had some more conversion which helped as well. I fly sparge and I try and mash out for beers that aren't mashed super low. Also, if your thermometer was off by a few degrees that could do it as well. Looks tasty to me!

I tried it while racking and it was really tasty, tonight I get to pour the first glass its been on the gas for three days which usually does it for force carb. I highly recommend trying liberty hops or hallertau hops which is a good sub for liberty. Both of these are commonly used in Vienna style lager beers.

I may try that this weekend since it looks like I will be snowed in. Was your recipe for 5 gallons? Given the light grain bill, I was not sure. Please clarify.

I may try that this weekend since it looks like I will be snowed in. Was your recipe for 5 gallons? Given the light grain bill, I was not sure. Please clarify.

Yes, 5 gallon batch. Let me know if you try it and what you think. I am about to finish the last few drinks this weekend with family. So far everyone who has tried it enjoyed the flavor.

If this is truly a 5 gallon batch I think your efficiency calculation is off.

9 lbs at 35 points per pound gives 315 total points

315/5 = 63 points per gallon

38 / 63 = 60% eff.

Am I missing something? Lower extract per pound from Vienna?

All the Best,
D. White

If this is truly a 5 gallon batch I think your efficiency calculation is off.

9 lbs at 35 points per pound gives 315 total points

315/5 = 63 points per gallon

38 / 63 = 60% eff.

Am I missing something?

Yes,

95% attenuation!

Actually 96.5%

1.038 OG
1.002 FG
4.47% ABV
95% attenuation!

9lbs Vienna
1oz 60 liberty
1oz 30 liberty
1oz 15 liberty
1 dry yeast pack US-05
3 weeks in primary

Looks like a tasty brew.

Definitely low brewhouse efficiency (I think was what the other poster had meant) @ 60% efficiency.

Your attenuation was spectacular though. I usually get around 80-85% with that yeast.

Yes, I did miss something.

I took your attenuation efficiency to be mash house efficiency.

Is certainly an interesting recipe. Might have to try something similar myself.

All the Best,
D. White

Yes, I did miss something.

I took your attenuation efficiency to be mash house efficiency.

Is certainly an interesting recipe. Might have to try something similar myself.

All the Best,
D. White

I just finished the last glass this weekend. My father in law and my sister both helped. The beer was crystal clear with a pronounced Vienna malt flavor that finished with a crisp bite that left you wanting more. It is something I recommend trying as long as you like the taste of Vienna. The liberty hops gave it a unique backbone but it wasn't bitter, spicy, floral, or any common hop descriptors it was quite unique.

I am very happy to say that my very first recipe came out much better than I expected. Vienna Malt and Liberty hop SMASH

1.038 OG
1.002 FG
4.47% ABV
95% attenuation!

9lbs Vienna
1oz 60 liberty
1oz 30 liberty
1oz 15 liberty
1 dry yeast pack US-05
3 weeks in primary

So far its one of the best beers I have personally brewed.

Yeast at what temperature?

your mash temp at 150 could have given you your low FG. the 150*F temp may have been 148 depending on the calibration range of the thermometer you were using.

Latest posts

Back