Best addition time for wet hops in IPA/APA and recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnycreature

Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted some hop rhizomes this year and it looks like I'm fortunate enough to harvest quite a bit soon. Two varieties, Centennial and Cascade, should be ready by next week and I expect probably 4-5 oz of Cascade and maybe 3-4 of Centennial. I have plenty of other hops to complement the fresh hops (see attachment list).
My question is now, what would be the best time to add fresh (wet) hops and which other hops would go well with these two? My goal is something like Lagunita's New Dogtown or even an IPA. Suggestions are welcome, including a solid grain bill for all-grain 5 gallons! :rockin:

Capture.PNG

I haven't actually ever used wet hops, but it seems to me that whatever is special about them would be most prominent in the flavor/aroma department, rather than bittering. However, I understand that the ratio of wet to dry hops is about 5:1--that is, five ounces of wet hops is equivalent to one ounce of dried. So you aren't looking at a lot of wet hops there--probably the equivalent of about 1.5-2 oz.

I would use something clean or straightforward (say, Warrior) to bitter, and make an APA by adding all your wet hops with about 5 minutes to go in the boil. Keep the grain bill simple and gravity relatively light so that you can focus on the hop taste, and also so that it will ferment quickly and you can drink it young. You could also consider making a smaller batch (e.g. 2 or 3 gallons) so that your wet hops go a longer way.

I haven't actually ever used wet hops, but it seems to me that whatever is special about them would be most prominent in the flavor/aroma department, rather than bittering. However, I understand that the ratio of wet to dry hops is about 5:1--that is, five ounces of wet hops is equivalent to one ounce of dried. So you aren't looking at a lot of wet hops there--probably the equivalent of about 1.5-2 oz.

I would use something clean or straightforward (say, Warrior) to bitter, and make an APA by adding all your wet hops with about 5 minutes to go in the boil. Keep the grain bill simple and gravity relatively light so that you can focus on the hop taste, and also so that it will ferment quickly and you can drink it young. You could also consider making a smaller batch (e.g. 2 or 3 gallons) so that your wet hops go a longer way.

I know that this will be only a tiny addition to the entire hops bill but I'd like to try it anyway :D What do you think about whirlpool addition? Do you think the addition of a pelleted similar hop variety, if not the same, would distract too much from the flavors and aromas of the wet hops? I have everything setup for larger batches so if possible I'd like to make 5 gallons
Cheers!

You definitely could add cascade/centennial pellets too, but the whole point of the wet hops is that they're something a bit special and different. So if it were me, I wouldn't do that--I'd just use the wet so that I can understand what they're like on their own.

For similar reasons, I'd really consider a smaller batch. I normally make 5 or 6 gallon recipes, but sometimes there's a reason to make a smaller one, and this seems like the paradigmatic case where less is more. Think about it: do you want 25 bottles of a unique beer that you can really show off to your friends, or 50 bottles of a blander or less interesting beer? Again, it's up to you; I'm just saying what I would do.

You definitely could add cascade/centennial pellets too, but the whole point of the wet hops is that they're something a bit special and different. So if it were me, I wouldn't do that--I'd just use the wet so that I can understand what they're like on their own.

For similar reasons, I'd really consider a smaller batch. I normally make 5 or 6 gallon recipes, but sometimes there's a reason to make a smaller one, and this seems like the paradigmatic case where less is more. Think about it: do you want 25 bottles of a unique beer that you can really show off to your friends, or 50 bottles of a blander or less interesting beer? Again, it's up to you; I'm just saying what I would do.

I know what you're saying... I'll have to see how much hops I get and go from there. I was hoping that the wet hops will impart something that is "on top" or in addition to the regular hops but maybe that won't happen. As you said - I'd rather have something special in limited quantities than a lot of something mediocre! I value your input! :mug:

I personally would make a full size batch. Its going to be a year before you can make it again! Any how I add my fresh hops at the same times I add dried hops, and then I dry hop. I do 5 to 1 ratio. I really like it, but I think the early editions add a lot grass like flavor

I personally would make a full size batch. Its going to be a year before you can make it again! Any how I add my fresh hops at the same times I add dried hops, and then I dry hop. I do 5 to 1 ratio. I really like it, but I think the early editions add a lot grass like flavor

Thanks! I was checking the BYO clone for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and it calls for only a few ounces of dried hops so maybe I can get away with brewing a nice Pale Ale with only little other than wet hops! :ban:

Thanks! I was checking the BYO clone for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and it calls for only a few ounces of dried hops so maybe I can get away with brewing a nice Pale Ale with only little other than wet hops! :ban:

Sounds tasty. Please report back how it turns out.

Shall do! I still have another week or so to come up with a recipe since I want to give my hops as much time as possible. Going on vacation on the 24th so I need to harvest/brew by then.

This is a good plan. I have found that when brewing with wet hops I need to use about 7 times what I would normally use. I would use an APA as a base with a bit less crystal than Sierra Nevada in order to let the hops shine, and would use a neutral pellet like Magnum at 60 to bitter about 30 IBU.

I like adding ½ the wet hops continuously between 10 min and flameout, and the other half at flameout. Stirring regularly to move the hops is essential, as it is much more difficult with wet hops to get the hop oils into the wort than with pellet or dried flowers.

Also, be patient after packaging the beer. When I kegged my wethop pale it tasted like sweaty armpit for the first week or so, but then cleaned up into an amazing pale. Good luck!

Back