Berry cider help needed - campden tablets cause bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sathrovarr

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been fermenting a cider from concentrated juice for the last month, yesterday I bought some fresh strawberries and cleaned it and blend it with a mix of frozen berries and plum juice. Then I have transferred the blend to a 2 gallon carboy and added a 1/2 crushed campden tablet and gave a stir. Then after couple of hours I have seen bubbles in the airlock so I feared fermentation started from wild yeast so I've added another 1/2 crushed tablet. this morning I've seen that there are still bubbles in the airlock. Is this normal? It is my first time using campden tablets so I don't know if it's gas originating from the tablet or if a wild fermentation is going on.

Any advice on what doing next?

Hi,
I've been fermenting a cider from concentrated juice for the last month, yesterday I bought some fresh strawberries and cleaned it and blend it with a mix of frozen berries and plum juice. Then I have transferred the blend to a 2 gallon carboy and added a 1/2 crushed campden tablet and gave a stir. Then after couple of hours I have seen bubbles in the airlock so I feared fermentation started from wild yeast so I've added another 1/2 crushed tablet. this morning I've seen that there are still bubbles in the airlock. Is this normal? It is my first time using campden tablets so I don't know if it's gas originating from the tablet or if a wild fermentation is going on.

Any advice on what doing next?

Adding the strawberries, frozen berries, and plum juice is simply restarting fermentation. This will cause your airlock to begin bubbling again.

Hi, thanks for the comment. I have put the strawberries, berries and palm juice in a different carboy from the rest of the cider so the campden tablet will sanitize the blend, then on the same carboy the airlock started to bubble

Campden is to kill wild yeast and bacteria. Sorbate is to stop the reproduction of yeast. You fed live yeast sugar, they will once eat until the sugar is gone. Q: are you planning on making a still cider, a sweetened cider or a fizzy cider? With all the extra sugar from the berries, you have technically made wine. What quantity of berries and juice did you add?

Before adding addition sugar you should have add sulfites and sorbate after racking to a secondary.

Back